Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
Ask the inspector:
If the smoke detector is required, and you hung a fan there, where would the required smoke detector go?
Believe me. I get it! But technically the inspector is correct. This section does not talk about specific equipment installed in these outlet boxes, it's talking about the outlet boxes themselves. If they installed in a ceiling and an inspector thinks a ceiling fan would be able to operate within that space, the Code is saying that a listed fan-rated box shall be installed. Very poorly written.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
A lot of contractors don't know the code and never pick up the book unless they are in a code update class. They ask the inspector "what do you want"

You have to have some knowlege of the code. Most ispectors will respect that. If you don't know they will tend to crap all over you. At least some inspectors will. I have found most of them are pretty decent though.

And I am far from a code expert, But I try to keep up on the sections I need to know.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
OK just looked at the new code 2023, and I think what I do (2X4 above box) is still allowed.
314.27 (C) Says 'one of the following'
and item (2) "Installed so as to allow direct access through the box to structural framing."
My take is a fan box is not required if your lighting boxes have a 2X4 behind them.
The rest of #2 states "capable of supporting a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan without removing the box. So a fan-rated box would be required as we cannot hang ceiling fans on boxes that are not listed for that purpose. I think they are referencing the listed fan boxes that do not use 10-32 screws to support the fan but use long wood screws into the structure. Those type of boxes are still listed for ceiling fans.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
Believe me. I get it! But technically the inspector is correct. This section does not talk about specific equipment installed in these outlet boxes, it's talking about the outlet boxes themselves. If they installed in a ceiling and an inspector thinks a ceiling fan would be able to operate within that space, the Code is saying that a listed fan-rated box shall be installed. Very poorly written.
Just call the somkies a NPLFA fire alarm circuit. You'd need all the smokies on a dedicated circuit but hey no AFCI required.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If they installed in a ceiling and an inspector thinks a ceiling fan would be able to operate within that space, the Code is saying that a listed fan-rated box shall be installed.
I disagree with that interpretation. Should every ceiling box be a fan box?

A centrally-located box, sure. After that, other ceiling boxes should be allowed.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician

A centrally-located box, sure.
You don't even need to do it for a centrally-located box you just need a 2X4 above the box to provide structural support.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor

A centrally-located box, sure. After that, other ceiling boxes should be allowed.
Larry, that would be the common sense approach. Remember Charlie's Rule. Go back and read it like you were reading it for the very first time. You will see that "It says what it says"

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
Just call the somkies a NPLFA fire alarm circuit. You'd need all the smokies on a dedicated circuit but hey no AFCI required.
AFCI would still be required as smoke detectors are "outlets" This section does not refer to what we are installing to the boxes, this section is referring TO the boxes.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
Unfortunately, that is not what it says.
Can you please enlighten me what I missed ?
it says and
I am reading the 2023 NEC 314.27(C)(2):
(C) Boxes at Ceiling-Suspended (Paddle) Fan Outlets
Outlet boxes or outlet box systems used as the sole support of a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan shall be listed, shall be marked by their manufacturer on the interior of the box as suitable for this purpose, and shall not support ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans that weigh more than 32 kg (70 lb). For outlet boxes or outlet box systems designed to support ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans that weigh more than 16 kg (35 lb), the required marking shall include the maximum weight to be supported.

Outlet boxes mounted in the ceilings of habitable rooms of dwelling occupancies in a location acceptable for the installation of a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan shall comply with one of the following:
  1. Listed for the sole support of ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans
  2. Installed so as to allow direct access through the box to structural framing capable of supporting a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan without removing the box
I just looked up Florida and your on the 2020
Which is pretty similar item 314.27(C)(2) says
An outlet box complying with the applicable requirements of 314.27 and providing access to structural framing capable of supporting of a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan bracket or equivalent
If the box is not the sole support it does not need to be a fan box.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
AFCI would still be required as smoke detectors are "outlets" This section does not refer to what we are installing to the boxes, this section is referring TO the boxes.
While I was kinda joking on that one
in theory if you did have a dedicated 15A 120V circuit with the standard residential 3-wire 120V interconnected fire alarm system, and added say a 120V heat detector, horn or pull station it arguably could be a NPLFA circuit and a AFCI would be a violation of 760.41(B):
760.41(B) Branch Circuit
The branch circuit supplying the fire alarm equipment(s) shall supply no other loads. The location of the branch-circuit overcurrent protective device shall be permanently identified at the fire alarm control unit. The circuit disconnecting means shall have red identification, shall be accessible only to qualified personnel, and shall be identified as "FIRE ALARM CIRCUIT." The red identification shall not damage the overcurrent protective devices or obscure the manufacturer's markings. This branch circuit shall not be supplied through ground-fault circuit interrupters or arc-fault circuit-interrupters.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
OK just looked at the new code 2023, and I think what I do (2X4 above box) is still allowed.
314.27 (C) Says 'one of the following'
and item (2) "Installed so as to allow direct access through the box to structural framing."
My take is a fan box is not required if your lighting boxes have a 2X4 behind them.

The problem is that I never went thru the box but used 3" decking screws just outside the box so the board behind the box is supporting the fan. I believe what #2 is concerning is fans, like the old Hunter fans, that used a lag hook into wood thru the center of the box to support the fan. Obviously there are some fans that cannot be supported by a box. I am exaggerating but there are heavy fans like the original Hunter

1718915406554.png

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Maybe we can reverse it and ask the inspector " is it a violation to install a smoke detector on a box that is listed for a paddle fan?"

Stupid question I know.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
To rephrase what I posted earlier:

If you wire only one box in each room required for a smoke detector, and then hang a fan there, you have removed the possibility of interconnection between smokes.

Thus, it would be non-compliant to install a fan or anything other than a smoke detector on that box. The inspector is insisting that you allow for an illegal installation.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
it says and

A rectangular 1-gang box used for lighting would be a violation of 314.27(A)(2) therefore it could never be considered a location where a fan could be installed.
If I installed a single-gang box near the peak of a vaulted ceiling and installed a smoke detector in that box, the box itself should not be used for the support of a ceiling fan. But is the box "in a location acceptable for the installation of a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan?" I used the EXACT verbiage from the 2020 NEC. It has nothing to do with the box itself or what is installed in it. It has EVERYTHING to do with where the box is installed. This section gives the AHJ complete authority to determine where in a ceiling that a fan could be installed.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
it says and

A standard 3" or 4" pancake box using 8-32 screws or a 4/0 octagon box that uses 8-32 screws does not comply with the requirements of 314.27 (which is the part of the section that you did not put in bold letters. They are referring to listed fan-rated boxes that do not use 10-32 screws but use long wood screw that go through the box. When using these boxes, the fan is supported by the structure and not the box. But the box complies with 314.27 by being marked with weight requirements and are suitable for the installation of fans not weighing more than 70 lbs.
The problem is that I never went thru the box but used 3" decking screws just outside the box so the board behind the box is supporting the fan. I believe what #2 is concerning is fans, like the old Hunter fans, that used a lag hook into wood thru the center of the box to support the fan. Obviously there are some fans that cannot be supported by a box. I am exaggerating but there are heavy fans like the original Hunter

View attachment 2572189
These are awesome Dennis! I loved installing these. But the section does say habitable rooms of dwelling occupancies. There are listed metal fan-rated boxes manufactured today that do not use 10-32 screws. Long wood screw go through the listed box into the structure. these boxes do not provide the sole support of the ceiling fan.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
While I was kinda joking on that one
in theory if you did have a dedicated 15A 120V circuit with the standard residential 3-wire 120V interconnected fire alarm system, and added say a 120V heat detector, horn or pull station it arguably could be a NPLFA circuit and a AFCI would be a violation of 760.41(B):
IF you had that type of fire alarm system you are correct. 210.12 says ALL 120-volt single-phase 15 and 20 amp branch circuits supplying outlets or devices...... The fire alarm systems that i think you are talking about are not 120-volt

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
Gentlemen, I know it sounds like I'm arguing with you. I am not. I'm telling you what I'm being told by my electrical inspectors. While all of your interpretations of this section make sense to me. I truly don't think it's what the code says. As much as I don't want it to be true, I think my inspector is correct. I think something needs to be changed in the writing of this section. I appreciate this forum and all of the knowledge that you guys provide.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
The word "listed" appears in 314.27(C)(1), but not in 314.27(C)(2). So if you go the 314.27(C)(2) route, you do not need a specially listed box.

Cheers, Wayne
Nice catch Wayne. I looked in my 2023 and they added to (C)(2) "without removing the box." So until 2023 Code goes into effect, standard pancake boxes and 4/0 boxes could be installed and should not have to be listed for fans. Thanks! I'm taking this to my chief electrical inspector. Wayne, would this mean that I wouldn't have to use listed fan boxes even if a fan would be installed? Brings up an interesting point here. In the center of a bedroom, I could use a 4/0 box secured to a 2x4 and install a cheap fixture to get a final. Then come back and install a fan in it's place? I'm meeting the requirements of (C)(2)

Last edited: