Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
A rectangular 1-gang box used for lighting would be a violation of 314.27(A)(2)
That says box shall be required to support a luminaire of 50 lb. 6-32 screw tensile strength is 550 lbs. Two of them , then 1100 lbs strength. NEC low limit is less than 1/20th of that.

I would worry more about the strap that comes with the fixture...:unsure:

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
That says box shall be required to support a luminaire of 50 lb. 6-32 screw tensile strength is 550 lbs. Two of them , then 1100 lbs strength. NEC low limit is less than 1/20th of that.

I would worry more about the strap that comes with the fixture...:unsure:
I have always been told that a box has to have 8-32 screws to be approved for light fixture support. And even then I have been turned down for using round 'cut in' boxes with 8-32 screws to support ceiling fixtures, as they are only UL listed for 'wall support' up to 10 lbs.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have always been told that a box has to have 8-32 screws to be approved for light fixture support. And even then I have been turned down for using round 'cut in' boxes with 8-32 screws to support ceiling fixtures, as they are only UL listed for 'wall support' up to 10 lbs.
It is the "cut-in" part that is the issue. That does not provide enough support for a ceiling light fixture. Without an attachment to the building structure, they have only been investigated for the support of up to six pounds.