400A service with (2) 200A panels

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
But what if the manufacturer has “identified” it as having a “smoothly rounded insulating surface”?

Or what if it identifies itself as having a “smoothly rounded insulating surface?” 😳

I should probably stop…..

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

RdmanElect

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What’s in your picture is a bushing. It’s for wire protection, which, incidentally, I don’t usually use on PVC conduit.

The sealing washer Don is talking about is the (usually) yellow washer, like what is on a LFNC connector.
You gotta look closely behind the locknut, you'll see the blue sealant that comes sealed to the lock nut

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
YMMV but I find that with connectors, which are not designed to have a lock ring on the outside of the enclosure, putting a sealing lock ring on the outside leaves not enough threads left on the inside. While I usually put sealing lock rings on the outside (on rigid nipples), I think what the OP has done is an acceptable solution that meets code.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
YMMV but I find that with connectors, which are not designed to have a lock ring on the outside of the enclosure, putting a sealing lock ring on the outside leaves not enough threads left on the inside. While I usually put sealing lock rings on the outside (on rigid nipples), I think what the OP has done is an acceptable solution that meets code.
Other than maybe a PVC box with thicker walls, I've never encountered an enclosure where a terminal adapter, or male adapter, as some call them, didn't come through enough to put a locknut and bushing on and have room after that. There is over a half inch of threads there after the locknut is on. Putting a sealing washer on the outside wouldn't lesson the thread exposure enough to prevent a locknut and bushing.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What’s in your picture is a bushing. It’s for wire protection, which, incidentally, I don’t usually use on PVC conduit.

The sealing washer Don is talking about is the (usually) yellow washer, like what is on a LFNC connector.
The Carlon one is black, but I think their instructions call for it to be on the outside.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
maybe but why would orientation matter its sealing the hole correct?
when you torque that nut down it pulls the ta tight and then that washer fills in voids. I don't see were it matters.
3v1 so I bet I am wrong
Because of the larger surface area of the connector that will be in contact with the surface of the flat sealing washer. The flat sealing washer is not intended to seal the threads like a sealing locknut is.