400A service with (2) 200A panels

RdmanElect

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Oops, you are not allowed to parallel conductors smaller than 1/0.
Good call!! Appreciate that! Luckily the inspector overlooked it.. but there was no way I was gonna get 4/0-4/0-1/0-1/0 through 160' of 2" with multiple bends.. maybe I can be meet exception no 2 with it being existing conduits that were installed 2 years ago when they planned don having it a 200a service..I'll count my blessings and take this as a learning experience.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

RdmanElect

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The connection between the connector and the enclosure is not without a sealing washer. At least one manufacturer of PVC male adapters has a sealing washer for there connectors that will give it the required rating to be installed above the live parts.
Thanks for the information..I used what you recommended
a7cba80aae217ea1429fce3cf65e51b0.jpg

Knightryder12

Occupation
Sr. Electrical Designer/Project Manager
Did not know you could take (2)200 amp sets of conductors off of a 400 amp breaker to two different panels. I thought you would have to tap off of them in a wireway/jb and run the 200a rated set to each panel and each panel would have to have a main.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Did not know you could take (2)200 amp sets of conductors off of a 400 amp breaker to two different panels. I thought you would have to tap off of them in a wireway/jb and run the 200a rated set to each panel and each panel would have to have a main.
If the breaker is rated for two wires per lug, or has double lugs, provided you don’t exceed the tap rule length, and yes, the panel would need a main not to exceed the wire rating.

hillbilly1

Occupation
He said it was 160'.
That’s a good question, is he saying the generator is 160’ away? Or the entire service and transferswitch is 160’ away from the house? After looking at the panel picture, the feed is not back to back, and appears to go across the ceiling, so there is pretty much no way it would meet the tap rule even if the t’switch was just outside the house.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Yeah, it has to be less than 25’ to the panels from the transferswitch, which from the pictures shown, it most likely isn’t. If the service and transferswitch is 160’ from the house, ocp is required at point of entry on both feeds, which does not appear to be that way in the pictures either. So the install is not code compliant.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Good call!! Appreciate that! Luckily the inspector overlooked it.. but there was no way I was gonna get 4/0-4/0-1/0-1/0 through 160' of 2" with multiple bends.. maybe I can be meet exception no 2 with it being existing conduits that were installed 2 years ago when they planned don having it a 200a service..I'll count my blessings and take this as a learning experience.

What exception 2 are your referencing.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
Thanks for the information..I used what you recommended
a7cba80aae217ea1429fce3cf65e51b0.jpg

What’s in your picture is a bushing. It’s for wire protection, which, incidentally, I don’t usually use on PVC conduit.

The sealing washer Don is talking about is the (usually) yellow washer, like what is on a LFNC connector.