400A service with (2) 200A panels

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Other than maybe a PVC box with thicker walls, I've never encountered an enclosure where a terminal adapter, or male adapter, as some call them, didn't come through enough to put a locknut and bushing on and have room after that. There is over a half inch of threads there after the locknut is on. Putting a sealing washer on the outside wouldn't lesson the thread exposure enough to prevent a locknut and bushing.
Yes a sealing *washer* on the outside works fine but a sealing *locknut* on the outside takes up a lot more thread space. As I said YMMV. I'm lucky if I get a full 1/2" of thread on my connectors. The point was that putting a sealing locknut on the inside meets code.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Yes a sealing *washer* on the outside works fine but a sealing *locknut* on the outside takes up a lot more thread space. As I said YMMV. I'm lucky if I get a full 1/2" of thread on my connectors. The point was that putting a sealing locknut on the inside meets code.
Be hard to put a sealing locknut on the outside when the male adapter goes in from the outside! The sealing locknut would have to go inside.
The OP is not dealing with a nipple.

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
Violations (NEC 2020) -

352.30 - Securely fastened within 3' of boxes, conduit bodies and any other terminations. Since the code says within 3', any stick less than 3' still needs to be secured.

240.21 - ATS service OCPD is 400A and you have 4/0 (AL or CU) from it in parallel to separate panels of a distance greater than 25'. To correct this, you can use that wireway above the panel boards as a place to splice. So install Polaris taps and then you can run the 4/0 to the panel since it is less than 25' (and maybe less than 10').

334.30 / 314.17 - NM cable (Romex) needs to be secured before it enters the box.

250.109 / 250.122 / 250.148 / 314.40(D) / 314.4 - After the Polaris taps, the largest OCPD for the gutter box is 4/0 so the EGC needs to be sized to the 400A OCPD and bonded to the box with all of the other EGCs (with circuits that are spliced) in that box.