404.9(B) Exception #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
If I read this correctly I can no longer replace a switch on an old two wire system (w/o egc) if the switch is within 5' of a dryer, washer, range, frig and the like.

As I read this it would also include metal faucets, assuming a metal piping sytem, correct?

jumper

I think is says you need a non metallic plate and screws or strap, or GFCI protection if not.

....................A snap switch wired under the provisions of this exception
and located within 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically, or 1.5 m
(5 ft) horizontally, of ground or exposed grounded metal
objects shall be provided with a faceplate of nonconducting
noncombustible material with nonmetallic attachment
screws, unless the switch mounting strap or yoke is nonmetallic
or the circuit is protected by a ground-fault circuit
interrupter.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
If I read this correctly I can no longer replace a switch on an old two wire system (w/o egc) if the switch is within 5' of a dryer, washer, range, frig and the like.

As I read this it would also include metal faucets, assuming a metal piping sytem, correct?

Just use nonconducting faceplate and nonmetallic screws, or find a completely nonmettalic switch. See 404.9 Exception #1.

guschash

I would say you are correct in your thinking. I read it the same way you do. Use nonconducting material or use a GFCI, as stated above.

Gus

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
For years they made us use nylon screws with plastic plates when we used nonmetallic boxes. Back in the old days we were not required to ground the switch even when the egc was present.

Status
Not open for further replies.