50amp range circuit to island

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
These days fewer people new to the profession know how to properly tape a split bolt for both electrical and mechanical protection. And it is, IMHO, the most labor intensive part of the job.
I use split bolts almost daily for Utility Side, and use (Used) them very frequently for other side of the meter. A good pair of pliers and the right size socket a split bolt is simple to install. 1 1/2” tape makes short work of the taping. I wrap mine with a layer of rubber tape first, then follow it up with vinyl.

FWIW, the only split bolts I have ever pulled off that were failing were on the service drop at the weather head, and they were the aluminum split bolts

Peter Furrow

We’re not born humble, we’re born to be humbled
Occupation
Electrical contractor
I’ve seen them burn up in a tankless water heater installation and a large motor .
Im selective if its a heavy load draw.
Small Polaris taps are $12 Each.
But i know im not getting a call back.
Im not opposed to them just selective and cautious..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I use split bolts almost daily for Utility Side, and use (Used) them very frequently for other side of the meter. A good pair of pliers and the right size socket a split bolt is simple to install. 1 1/2” tape makes short work of the taping. I wrap mine with a layer of rubber tape first, then follow it up with vinyl.

FWIW, the only split bolts I have ever pulled off that were failing were on the service drop at the weather head, and they were the aluminum split bolts
"Back in the day", long before multi port Polaris and the like connectors were invented, it was common practice to put as many conductors as would fit (even mixed sizes) in a split bolt. Don't remember any failures.
I always used glass cloth tape as first layer especially if I thought it might be me that had to re-open it later.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
One of the most endearing things about you guys is your ability to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

For the love of everything: UF from panel to island sleeved in pvc while in concrete.
It's all about the story. ;)

kwired

Electron manager

About only ones I seen fail were used with aluminum conductors, even when designed for aluminum.

Bad neutral problems or even lost ungrounded conductor and you see split bolts on the overhead distribution....usually means look there first. If all copper maybe not as high on the list though.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
One of the most endearing things about you guys is your ability to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Isn’t that the purpose? It’s all about the interaction and mountain making....

Peter Furrow

Occupation
Electrical contractor
b9a377a7a68fce39241d38d0a7510e8c.jpg

My technician just installed it and sent me this photo. Done!
6-3 UF
12-2 UF with a white sheathing
No splices.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Got it done that's good. Looking at the photo without doing a calculation I'm guessing that the conduit is too small. Now if you call it a sleeve?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Got it done that's good. Looking at the photo without doing a calculation I'm guessing that the conduit is too small. Now if you call it a sleeve?
Kind of what I was thinking...
I think the two flat cables hurt him

Peter Furrow

Occupation
Electrical contractor
1-1/4 PvC

fa71f038aadd858580dc69278a38f986.jpg

How do you do a pipe full calculation for those two conductors?
I remember doing it for NMB wire 12 -2 But not this particular wire
6-3 UF
12-2 UF
1-1/4 schedule 80 PVC

480sparky

6-3 UF
12-2 UF
1-1/4 schedule 80 PVC

You use the major diameter of each cable to determine it's size.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
6-3 UF
12-2 UF
1-1/4 schedule 80 PVC

Measure the width of each cable and then use that number as if it were round to convert into circular mils. You're allowed 31% fill with two conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.