50amp range circuit to island

Status
Not open for further replies.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
Didn't chamfer the PVC? Or does it get a bell end?

FionaZuppa

Occupation
No need. More than likely it will get a coupling/connector.
connector to where? wouldn't that make it conduit? I would leave it open for air to flow more easily, but fire foam the open end in the wall.

I would perhaps just add a straight pvc coupler pushed down tight onto the end (with a spot of glue on pipe side), the couplers have a soft radius on their ends so wires wont snag, etc.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
connector to where? wouldn't that make it conduit? I would leave it open for air to flow more easily, but fire foam the open end in the wall.

I would perhaps just add a straight pvc coupler pushed down tight onto the end (with a spot of glue on pipe side), the couplers have a soft radius on their ends so wires wont snag, etc.
When you bring the UF up into the cabinet, you will need to protect it (340.12.10) until it hints the j-box used to tie into the range. If it is in a void, then you'd be okay.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
When you bring the UF up into the cabinet, you will need to protect it (340.12.10) until it hints the j-box used to tie into the range. If it is in a void, then you'd be okay.
True. I was thinking a cabinet that may have a wall on one side, so I would bring it up in the wall section. Many islands are built that way.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
True. I was thinking a cabinet that may have a wall on one side, so I would bring it up in the wall section. Many islands are built that way.
I did tons w/o walls. Use to run the circuit through the toe/kick base as the void to avoid running through cabinets. Set a 4sq box and MC to the recepts. All kinds of coderific solutions possible. :)

FionaZuppa

Occupation
I did tons w/o walls. Use to run the circuit through the toe/kick base as the void to avoid running through cabinets. Set a 4sq box and MC to the recepts. All kinds of coderific solutions possible. :)
I was eluding to another Q, can a PVC raceway suddenly end? I know there's no safety issue, but I start with conduit in a box, some MC runs through that 20ft in slab up into a wall, and then the conduit ends but the MC just keeps going. Legal? By some sections of NEC it would seem legal, I just not sure about the whole book.

Cavie

Yeah but in that case I have to splice the circuit. I hate splicing a circuit with a heavy load draw because the wire nuts burn up sometimes. But I guess that’s my only choice.
Provide a junction box and transition to pipe to the island

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use split bolts. J-box behind the fridge is the place to go.

kwired

Electron manager
I was eluding to another Q, can a PVC raceway suddenly end? I know there's no safety issue, but I start with conduit in a box, some MC runs through that 20ft in slab up into a wall, and then the conduit ends but the MC just keeps going. Legal? By some sections of NEC it would seem legal, I just not sure about the whole book.
When used as a raceway system it must terminate at boxes, conduit bodies, other fittings. Open transition to something like cable tray is one place that maybe goes against this or even into a bottomless switchboard.

Otherwise what you described it is not being used as a raceway system it is being used as a sleeve, chase or whatever other similar names you can come up with and wouldn't even need to be a listed raceway to do so, could be any pipe/tube/etc that is deemed to have physical protection or support characteristics necessary for the application.

Status
Not open for further replies.