600 yard to pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Yeah totally. I wonder how a 600V boost transformer and a 575V single phase pump would pencil out.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Yeah totally. I wonder how a 600V boost transformer and a 575V single phase pump would pencil out.

Being that we are drawing water frrom a lake, the suction head probably isn't very much. So we might not be locked into a submersible pump. I wonder what the static head is up to the tank. Maybe an unpressurized storage tank with a float switch. Then a booster pump on the outlet to supply the pressure needed. That way the motor could be smaller down at the lake. We could be talking about fractional HP down at the lake

Why transmit all the power 2,000 feet when you might only need 1/4 of the power down at the bottom, and the rest right next to the storage tank?

Last edited:

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I actually favor the idea of using 2 Aluminum with a boost transformer. They sell mobile home feeder that's fairly cheap quadrappexed at that size. It would keep you at the 5% and minimize the complexity of new pump and a transformer.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
I forgot what they were @ 67 posts.

"If I said well that’s my bad it’s on the local lake. My dad has water rights and we lost power. Diver found a Beaver attached to the line. Says there is miles of Unsed wires in the lake and splices all over. I will not let my kids swim there is a death trap".

mtnelect

Occupation
Mike Holt is one of the strongest supporters of water safety, to me this a "3 Alarm" emergency. This is a life safety issue and we all should take part to prevent a loss of life on this lake.

mtnelect

Occupation
Ahj don’t care lol they allow it all the time. I agree I should push for some law and tell them I’ll fix it for them lol

I would like to help you to bring attention to AHJ, but I need more details. Please send me details on this lake to my email address mtnelect@earthlink.net. I will contact the proper authorities for you to bring this to the attention of your state.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Because you need to pump it 2000 feet through what size pipe?
Yeah but right now the pump is doing all the work to get the water to the tank, plus supplying the utilization pressure.

Not to mention, even if the pump on the bottom is a bit slow, and has long run cycles it will make the flow in the pipe more laminar and less turbulent. Turbulent flow wastes a lot of energy

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
IMHO using GFCI protection on this is a bad idea. The run is so long that nuisance tripping is very very likely.

I strongly agree with the OP's goal of an installation which is safe for people swimming in the lake.

I wonder if an ungrounded system would make the most sense safety wise. In other words use an isolation transformer rather than a boost transformer, with secondary not bonded to primary ground.

I don't think code would permit this, but is it potentially safer, and could the AHJ be convinced of this.

Or could the system be wired with an EGC bonded to the transformer neutral, but not connected to the mains neutral. One of the safety issues in lakes is elevated potential on various ground/ neutral conductors.

Jon

mtnelect

Occupation
IMHO using GFCI protection on this is a bad idea. The run is so long that nuisance tripping is very very likely.

I strongly agree with the OP's goal of an installation which is safe for people swimming in the lake.

I wonder if an ungrounded system would make the most sense safety wise. In other words use an isolation transformer rather than a boost transformer, with secondary not bonded to primary ground.

I don't think code would permit this, but is it potentially safer, and could the AHJ be convinced of this.

Or could the system be wired with an EGC bonded to the transformer neutral, but not connected to the mains neutral. One of the safety issues in lakes is elevated potential on various ground/ neutral conductors.

Jon

"If I said well that’s my bad it’s on the local lake. My dad has water rights and we lost power. Diver found a Beaver attached to the line. Says there is miles of Unsed wires in the lake and splices all over. I will not let my kids swim there is a death trap".

This is not just a conversation about "Code" anymore. This is a real-life safety issue. I just sent an Email to Mike Holt, explaining a life safety issue on his forum, and what support he will have to protect life and safety. Would you allow your family to go into this lake ?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor

This is not just a conversation about "Code" anymore. This is a real-life safety issue. I just sent an Email to Mike Holt, explaining a life safety issue on his forum, and what support he will have to protect life and safety. Would you allow your family to go into this lake ?
We have a very large lake in Georgia (Lanier) that has several volts on it from everything from improperly installed docks, to failing poco underground lines. The Corp of Engineers is well aware of it.

mtnelect

Occupation
We have a very large lake in Georgia (Lanier) that has several volts on it from everything from improperly installed docks, to failing poco underground lines. The Corp of Engineers is well aware of it.

More importantly, you are aware of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.