600 yard to pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
please stop quoting me and using term reporting to authority. I think your quoting me because I stated that this lake has a problem but, the way you say it is getting my paranoid meter up.
I would like the problem fixed, I would not like to be associated with the problem especially since I did not do any of those under water splices… phrase it different please!

I feel you have good intentions and I agree.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
None that I am aware of , most homes are on one side of the lake and most of the swimming is done on the other side.
I am here to help you. This forum is a great asset to the electrical community, and Mike Holt has been a champion on electrical water safety. But, since your incident, it has been "Crickets". In my opinion, when there is an electrical hazarded, we should all come together and to solve it.
Since you are uncomfortable with moving on, I will stop making anymore comments, or communicating with you or anyone else.

The ball is in your court.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
I installed one of these on Lake Nottely for a lawyer’s rental house. There was about a half volt on that lake, that wasn’t coming from his service.

Thank you for posting. You are the only one courageous enough to make any comments. Everyone else is hiding under their desk.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Any lake that has a pump in it has a problem regardless of all the splices the plumber mention. Should they ban the use of Pumps in Lakes???
what about people that have water rights and that there source of water?
What the best way to address an issue like this??

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
Pls educate me: What does "half a volt on the lake" mean? 500 mV relative to what, an EGC??? AC, DC, combination, ???
How is that measured?? The dock lifeguard link has zero actual technical info.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Thank you for posting. You are the only one courageous enough to make any comments. Everyone else is hiding under their desk.
Most of us don't live in the land of lawyers like you although swimming electrical hazards are serious in reality until there's a serious accident nothing will ever get done. Have you ever tried to get a stopsign or stoplight put in? It doesn't happen until a certain level of accident occurs.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
No system can be perfect. As long as we have electricity near water there will be an electrocution risk.

The OP has a system to be repaired and a customer willing to invest the money to repair it.

What is the best practice to practically minimize the risk presented by the customers pump?

Installing wire with intact insulation and an EGC is code required and IMHO a great first step. Is that sufficient? Simply doing regular maintenance on systems is the most important safety measure.

Does wire type make a safety difference? I'd imagine (but have no real data) that something like SE cable, where the concentric neutral is used as EGC would be desirable.

Protecting that cable in conduit may not be required, but is probably a very good practice since the added costs get balanced by reduced maintenance costs. A conduit may even be cheaper for the customer long term.

Adding a GFCI might actually reduce safety, if nuisance tripping means the protection gets bypassed. Would it be better to install GFPE? What about placing the GFCI near the end of the run? Would fault monitoring (some sort of leakage current meter) make more sense than a leakage interrupter?

What about bonding? Code would require the EGC for this circuit to be bonded to the supply system ground and thereby to the mains neutral. We know that mains elevated neutral potential can cause shock hazard. Would breaking this normally required bond improve safety? How would you do this yet be code compliant?

Jon

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
I would think that the safest way to power a pump in the water would be supplying it with an ungrounded SDS. But It's not really an option

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
I never said I don't want to do anything I said phrase your wording different.if this is ever used in court I want it to be clear as day lol.
I'm not one to play Mr Inspector .. but one thing I've practiced is to address the hazards on my invoice and to never add on to work with potential issues, once my hands add to a volital system. I'd become legally obligated one way or another.

not saying this is the situation your up against.

Status
Not open for further replies.