60A 3-phase GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
You can forget all of that AutomationDestruct stuff, those are "Ground Fault relays", but that does NOT make them "GFCIs", GFCI is a specifically defined term and requires a specific UL listing.

It’s adjustable to 5ma.... I think we can use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
The leviton doc does not mention 3 phase, but does mention 4 wire. Confusing.

The automation direct stuff can be adjusted to 5mA, the question being has it been approved by an NTRL as a class A GFCI.

-Jon

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

As it says in the Hubbel document,
UL/cUL 943 Listed, Class A 4-6mA trip level and UL1053 Compliant.
If the A-D device had that, believe me, they would be advertising it, their data sheet only mentions UL-508, which is for industrial controls. It's tough to get UL943 because from the mfr's standpoint the liability is involving human life, not just equipment. So their insurance carriers make a quantum leap in liability coverage costs and to venture into making a Class A GFCI, you have to be sure to sell a LOT of them to be worth it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
https://www.schneider-electric.us/en/faqs/FA129872/

Does Schneider Electric/Square D offer QO/QOB 3 pole breakers with GFI protection?

Product Line:
Circuit Breakers

Environment:
Applies to QO-GFI

Resolution:
Yes, we offer QO/QOB- GFI 3 pole breakers in amperages of 15, 20, 30, 40, and 50.
NOTE that this breaker does NOT have provision for a load neutral conductor.

For wiring diagrams and additional information refer to the QO-GFI 3P Instruction bulletin attached.
Also see brochure attached. Click 48840-260-01 to see the instructions.

GFI 3p 48840-260-01.pdf

Ingenieur

http://www.benderinc.com/fileadmin/content/Products/d/ca/LifeGuard_datasheet_NAE1082321.pdf

they may make a rated relay that u can use with a shunt trip or uv

The standard LifeGuard model features a 6 mA trip level. The units trip in accordance with UL943, the standard for personnel protection. The minimum response time is 25 ms at leakage currents of 250 mA and above. A built-in inverse time curve helps to prevent nuisance tripping issues, particularly in systems with variable frequency drives (VFDs).
Models up to 100 A using voltages to which UL943 Class A devices apply are listed to UL943 as Class A ground fault circuit interrupters.

kwired

Electron manager
You can forget all of that AutomationDestruct stuff, those are "Ground Fault relays", but that does NOT make them "GFCIs", GFCI is a specifically defined term and requires a specific UL listing.

The Leviton one however IS a GFCI, so that would work. You have to pay attention to the details though, it can ONLY be used in specific UL listed and tested combinations using a short list of contactors. This Leviton document gives the rest of those details.
http://communities.leviton.com/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/2046-102-1-3097/Spec 6895.pdf

I'm surprised that the breaker mfrs have not yet responded to this change in the code.

PS:
Ack, should have checked first. They all have them... Sq. Ds is a QOB260GFI if you want bolt-on, so whomever told you they didn't have it was mistaken.
There are none over 60 amp that I know of yet in QO line, 2 or 3 pole. They are not in online catalog yet if they do have over 60 amp.

Look at technical spec sheet - only listed for UL508 applications.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
So does 210.8B pose a situation manufacturers haven't yet marketed?

I though it was usually the other way round?

~RJ~

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Is the catch in 210.8(B) that it says “...receptacles rated 150 volts to ground or less..”?

The OP will be using 208 or even 250 volt Recepts with no neutral.

The L5 recepts are 125v
L6 twistlocks are 250v.

Seems odd that they based the protection on the voltage rating of the receptacle and not the applied voltage of the system.

Add: Using 15-60R & P configurations would seem to alleviate the GFCI dilemma.

I am convinced. The AHJ is another problem

Last edited:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Is the catch in 210.8(B) that it says “...receptacles rated 150 volts to ground or less..”?

The OP will be using 208 or even 250 volt Recepts with no neutral.

The L5 recepts are 125v
L6 twistlocks are 250v.

Seems odd that they based the protection on the voltage rating of the receptacle and not the applied voltage of the system.

Add: Using 15-60R & P configurations would seem to alleviate the GFCI dilemma.

I am convinced. The AHJ is another problem

Pretty sure that wasn’t the CMP intention; we still have a ground, and it lists 3-phase receptacles.

It’s a 208Y/120 system.

kwired

Electron manager
Pretty sure that wasn’t the CMP intention; we still have a ground, and it lists 3-phase receptacles.

It’s a 208Y/120 system.

After reading ROP's or whatever the are now called, I don't think they had any intentions other then they were convinced that there are supposedly some devices out there that meet the listing requirements and that we should be using them. Would have been nice to have a reason on why they selected the locations required as well. by simply stating devices are available leaves it wide open to require them on just about anything down the road. In the past most GFCI requirements were justified by incidents in certain applications more so then just a general rule because we have a product available.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.