60A 3-phase GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russs57

Occupation
Maintenance Engineer
I see they have 50 amp ones, but not 60 amp. Around $500. All that just because they want a plug.

Wonder if AHJ would accept a GFCI rated main breaker solution and let the nine 60 amp breakers be normal ones? Not sure what is available but maybe shunt trip main with GFCI module by someone like Bender? Not going to be cheap no matter how you go. All the big players have 600 & 800 amp LSIG breakers. You would think one of them would be willing to pay for the testing if it was a code complaint solution to situations like this.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Clever. As Tom notes, the code _says_ 'receptacles rated'. The obvious _meaning_ is 'receptacles supplied by systems rated...', but that is not what the code _says_.

Of course, then you need to ask what defines a receptacles rating. The voltage associated with a particular NEMA configuration is in general different (and lower) than the maximum voltage which the receptacle is rated for. For example, many manufacturers build all of their devices with the same 600V insulation rating and state this in the datasheets, even though the NEMA configuration will be for 250V or 480V.

Good luck convincing the inspector :)

-Jon

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Refer to post 33. :D

What is that quote about the NEC? Something about... it says what it says, not what you think it says.

Good Luck.

The more I think about this, the more I think you may be right. Because if we’re looking strictly at the NEMA rating of the receptacle, it’s 250v 3-phase. They are 15-60R’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Engineer sent me this graphic ...

c21fba2c15a89d28e398a7a5589f5d83.jpg

Not sure where this comes from but definitely not written in the code that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
There is a public input for the 2020 NEC that will clarify that it is the rating of the branch circuit that triggers the need for GFCI and not the rating of the receptacle.

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
:D It is. But if I recall correctly the input was made by somebody from NEMA who stated basically that the current language made no sense and was possibly unenforceable as receptacles are not rated in "volts to ground".

Status
Not open for further replies.