Adding a second doorbell chime unit - clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

I need to add a second chime in a house. The existing unit is a standard NuTone kit with two pushbuttons (18/2 from each pushbutton, and 18/2 from xfmr to chime unit).

I haven't done this before, but thinking about it and researching it lets me believe I need to upgrade the xfmr (in mechanical room) and fish a wire (18/3) from existing chime unit to additional chime unit to tie the three terminals (Back door, front door, xfmr) from the first chime unit to the second.

Am I thinking about this correctly? Anything else I need to consider doing?

Thanks,
Sky

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Just run a 2 wire from the chime to the new bell , make sure you have a trans that can support two bells.

hurk27

Or you can use a "Add A Chime"

Sold at many big box stores for around $20.00, they can come with a plug in speaker/receiver or a battery powered unit that the home owner can take around the house with them, I installed many of the battery units for homes with pools so the home owner can have the chime out by the pool or patio, I know of one who wanted one while she was working in her flower beds in the back yard when she was expecting a delivery or guest, but both plug in as well as battery are both great as even the plug in can be put upstairs or in a bath room which would not be my choice as Murphy's law states it will ring as soon as I get all soaped up:rant:

But at least there is no running of wires and most have a fairly long range 150'+ and you don;'t have to get a larger transformer as they do not load the existing door bell system.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Or you can use a "Add A Chime"

Sold at many big box stores for around $20.00, they can come with a plug in speaker/receiver or a battery powered unit that the home owner can take around the house with them, I installed many of the battery units for homes with pools so the home owner can have the chime out by the pool or patio, I know of one who wanted one while she was working in her flower beds in the back yard when she was expecting a delivery or guest, but both plug in as well as battery are both great as even the plug in can be put upstairs or in a bath room which would not be my choice as Murphy's law states it will ring as soon as I get all soaped up:rant:

But at least there is no running of wires and most have a fairly long range 150'+ and you don;'t have to get a larger transformer as they do not load the existing door bell system.

I've used those too forgot them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.