Am I allowed to post here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakee911

Before you say no ... please hear me out. :)

I am an electrical engineer (I'm taking PE this fall, wish me luck) and I work for a consulting engineering company but I'm primarily involved in Instrumentation and Controls.

Occasionally when I have had an issue related to my work I have posted and I have gotten answers and that's great.

Now, suppose I am doing a project at home (as the notorious DIYer) and I have a question as to what type of wire I need, if a fitting would be appropriate or I have a question regarding the NEC. Can I post about that?

Thanks,
Jason

mcclary's electrical

I am an electrical engineer (I'm taking PE this fall, wish me luck) and I work for a consulting engineering company but I'm primarily involved in Instrumentation and Controls.

Occasionally when I have had an issue related to my work I have posted and I have gotten answers and that's great.

Now, suppose I am doing a project at home (as the notorious DIYer) and I have a question as to what type of wire I need, if a fitting would be appropriate or I have a question regarding the NEC. Can I post about that?

Thanks,
Jason

Sure,,,,fire away. We don't discriminate against EE's. (we just talk bad behind your back)

raider1

Staff member

Thanks,
Jason

Actually the Forum rules prohibit this. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

Chris

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

Thanks,
Jason

You should have left out the part about a home project and being a DIY'er.
Try the search tool with your questions. You may get the answer without posting it.

lakee911

Thanks for the responses. I typically do use the search function and find what I need, but I wanted to find out for sure.

I will continue to use the forum for job-related questions/tasks/functions.

Thanks,
Jason

mcclary's electrical

Actually the Forum rules prohibit this. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

Chris

I respect your decision Raider, but He's an EE,,,,,so you're telling me if one of the LINEMAN of this forum gets on here and asked how to wire a 4 way at home,,,,,,we should not tell him? This is getting crazy:roll: Guys post Gena Garrera post, how to build a deck, car questions, Topics such as "hell" as defined by college student, health care. What gives? So if you're a residential electrician, you can't ask about linework, If you're a commercial electrician, you can't ask about AFCI's at home? If you're a lineman you can't ask about residential work? Come on

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This was discussed, at some length, among the Moderators, several years ago. In fact, the posting that led to the discussion was from a lineman who wanted help with a home electrical installation. The consensus was that if a person was employed as an electrician, regardless of the person's technical specialties, we would not consider that person a DIY. We believed that it is not up to us to evaluate the degree to which an electrician has the technical knowledge and experience to perform any specific electrical installation task. If you are an electrician, you are not a DIY. Period.

But an engineer is not an electrician, and therefore cannot ask DIY questions on this forum.

iwire

Staff member
I respect your decision Raider, but He's an EE,,,,,so you're telling me if one of the LINEMAN of this forum gets on here and asked how to wire a 4 way at home,,,,,,we should not tell him? This is getting crazy:roll: Guys post Gena Garrera post, how to build a deck, car questions, Topics such as "hell" as defined by college student, health care. What gives? So if you're a residential electrician, you can't ask about linework, If you're a commercial electrician, you can't ask about AFCI's at home? If you're a lineman you can't ask about residential work? Come on

I would like to remind you that you that this is an entirly free site paid for entirly by the owner ...... Mike Holt.

Mike Holt has set up the rules and we (the mods) do our best to enforce them fairly.

So let me ask you this, mcclary electric, if you where the one footing the bill would you expect to be able to set up the rules how you see fit?

zog

This was discussed, at some length, among the Moderators, several years ago. In fact, the posting that led to the discussion was from a lineman who wanted help with a home electrical installation. The consensus was that if a person was employed as an electrician, regardless of the person's technical specialties, we would not consider that person a DIY. We believed that it is not up to us to evaluate the degree to which an electrician has the technical knowledge and experience to perform any specific electrical installation task. If you are an electrician, you are not a DIY. Period.

But an engineer is not an electrician, and therefore cannot ask DIY questions on this forum.

So can an electrician ask engineering related questions such as fault current calculations? Or do they need to go to a DIY Engineering forum to do that?

I know there are many members here, that answer some of the most complex questions that are not employed as electricians, so is it a one way street?

mcclary's electrical

I would like to remind you that you that this is an entirly free site paid for entirly by the owner ...... Mike Holt.

Mike Holt has set up the rules and we (the mods) do our best to enforce them fairly.

So let me ask you this, mcclary electric, if you where the one footing the bill would you expect to be able to set up the rules how you see fit?

Yes, I would .And it is a very good rule. We work our entire life trying to master this trade and it is not right for homeowners or DIY's to try and get free advice. I agree 1000000%,,,,,but he's an EE. I was surprised by the moderators responce. One minute you're telling me I'm too hard on new guys posting DIY questions,,,,the next minute you're telling me not to answer an EE's question.

iwire

Staff member
One minute you're telling me I'm too hard on new guys posting DIY questions,,,,the next minute you're telling me not to answer an EE's question.

I hear you, and I can not disagree about the mixed message you got. I am not sure why that particular post was approved from the start. Normally you would have never seen it.

All I can tell you is we (the mods) do try to do our best but sometimes things slip by. :)

zog

Chris

From the Forum rules:

"This site is designed for:
Contractors
Electricians
Engineers
Inspectors
Instructors
Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice."

An EE is "involved in the electrical industry" and therefore there is no forum rule violation with an EE asking this quoestion.

iwire

Staff member
An EE is "involved in the electrical industry" and therefore there is no forum rule violation with an EE asking this quoestion.

It blows my mind how much people complain about a free service. :confused:

Do-it-yourselfers
This is not a site for do-it-yourselfers.
This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

From this page

http://forums.mikeholt.com/about/about_forum.htm

mcclary's electrical

I hear you, and I can not disagree about the mixed message you got. I am not sure why that particular post was approved from the start. Normally you would have never seen it.

All I can tell you is we (the mods) do try to do our best but sometimes things slip by. :)

I understand, and you're doing a fine job:)

zog

It blows my mind how much people complain about a free service. :confused:

I am not complaning, just pointing out what the forum rules say. I think I give more than I get out of this forum.

Oh, the "other" forum rules, didn't see that one.

What if I have a question on a NEC or installation issue but I am not doing the work? Maybe just looking for an answer outside my area of expertise to assist a customer with a NEC interpretation?

justdavemamm

Well, I'm an EE, Controls & Instrumentation at work (+Computer hardware & software, Robotics, Motion Control, Hydraulic, Pneumatic, IBM CE ... previously) and while I limit my questions here my primary job function I'm also an avid DIY at home. Especially at my new home where the previous occupant was a hack. But I have yet to post a question regarding any of that home stuff.

So I say to lakee911, read every post here, just like I've done, ask your industrial electrician questions, read the NEC and look up things there that are discussed here and you'll get a very good education.

But aside from that, what the definition of an Electrical Contractor ? I guess I'm also one as I design, supply & wire control panels and skids for hire. I'm also an industrial electrician as I wire motors and other equipment, when needed. So do I get to ask DIY questions ? :)

iwire

Staff member
I am not complaining,

Sure seems like you are.

I think I give more than I get out of this forum.

I have little doubt of that. :cool:

Oh, the "other" forum rules, didn't see that one.

Yeah we hide different versions all over. :grin:

What if I have a question on a NEC or installation issue but I am not doing the work? Maybe just looking for an answer outside my area of expertise to assist a customer with a NEC interpretation?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
I am not sure why that particular post was approved from the start. Normally you would have never seen it.
Because he did not ask a DIY question. Instead, he asked whether he would be allowed to ask a DIY question.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
If it helps anyone understand where and why the line is drawn, here is a portion of a ?standard reply? text that I keep on my computer. It is one of several possible replies I might post, when I suspect we are dealing with a DIY question. Which reply I actually post will depend on what I learn about the OP, from their profile. This version is part of a reply I might post to a homeowner who has no relation whatsoever to the electrical industry.
You are welcome to use this Forum to learn whatever you want to learn, but we cannot offer advice or assistance on performing electrical installation work at your own home. Our concern is that you may get only the answer to the question that you ask, and get no answer to the thousand other questions that you should have asked, but did not know that you needed to ask. The thousand of other questions are the ones that electricians, electrical contractors, and other professionals in the electrical industry would have known about, and would have understood the answers to, as part of their years of training.
"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.? The Owner and Moderators of this Forum do not wish to risk allowing you and your family to be placed in danger, by giving you too little information.

Status
Not open for further replies.