"Ampilizer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAC

OK, I did the calc slightly differently to check again

The claim is made I can save 10% on my electric bill or save $15 off $150 monthly.

At $ .12 / kWH, that backs out to .1736 kw continuously or .72 amps at 240 volt. The claim is made that cutting my VAR flow will cut what I am being billed for, .1736 kw converted to heat by I2R loss in the building wiring.

173.6 watts = I2R. plugging in .72 for amps reveals the circuit resistance is 334 ohms. Per NEC 9, 9 yada yada, 12 gauge wire is 2 ohms per 1k ft. I would need 167,000 ft of #12 cu with .72 amps on it to be billed $15.

The claimed savings looks to be off by, in the range of, three orders of magnitude. My circuit length is in the range of 70 to 170 ft and claimed savings could be in the range of .01 % of my bill.

Thanks - this is the type of basic analysis that shows just how bogus these claims can be. That PFC is real isn't at issue, it is how it can save a homeowner any real $$$. Let's see a similar analysis from the opposite side that shows how the $$$ is saved - any takers?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If these worked, they would say Eaton, GE, and/or Siemens on the box.
Some of the divisions of one of those companies spent untold 100s of thousands of dollars on similar equipment for their plants only to find out there was no pay back. These facilities all had power factor correction at the service equipment, so there was no issue with utility penalties for poor power factor. One of the devices was a power optimizer that said:
This chip utilizes specific wavelengths of infrared light to stabilize the vibration state of "spinning" electrons. Stabilizing the electrons, which form electric current actually reduces the heat-emitting and power-robbing collisions that normally occur as the electric current moves from the source to the desired load. Reducing these collisions creates a more efficient electric current.
Good sales people bypassed the technical experts of the company and got the plant managers to buy in to this stuff.

Besoeker

Could very well be that this is the manufacturer.

I actually called them trying to get a distributors name in the Fort Myers area. The guy had a difficult time dealing with my request. He said he didn't normally handle that and the best he could do was a couple of numbers for Stuart Fl. One was KVAR international.

I did confirm, that as their website says, they hold the patent for these devices and they make them right in Daytona, FL.

http://www.kvar.com/1000/home

Happy hunting.
Good find.
I don't think anyone here has any doubt that what's being sold is a grey box with capacitors. The video clip shows it to be so.
And I note that there has been, as yet, no response to my post #70.

That's not to say that I think power factor correction is entirely without merit. But trying to flog it as a magical box to the unsuspecting domestic consumer to save energy does not sit well with me.
It's wrong and unethical.

SAC

Could very well be that this is the manufacturer.

I actually called them trying to get a distributors name in the Fort Myers area. The guy had a difficult time dealing with my request. He said he didn't normally handle that and the best he could do was a couple of numbers for Stuart Fl. One was KVAR international.

I did confirm, that as their website says, they hold the patent for these devices and they make them right in Daytona, FL.

http://www.kvar.com/1000/home

Happy hunting.

This looks like it may be the patent:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...50&s1=5440442.PN.&OS=PN/5440442&RS=PN/5440442

Last edited:

Npstewart

I noticed that a couple people were doing the calc to see how much it was possible to save (assuming it actually worked) but everyone seems to be forgetting that this device costs $15.00 EVERY MONTH!!! It covers "Maintenance". Thats the worst part of the scam.

dkidd

Occupation
PE

They website says they have a patent "that allows to determine in just a few minutes the type of energy controller that you need to save energy day in and day out"

The patent the above link goes to also seems to be for a "tester". There doesn't seem to be a patent on the grey box. More deception.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
What they determine, in a matter of minutes, is which switches internal to their device to operate, taking certain capacitors in or out of the circuit, in order to obtain the "optimum" capacitance (i.e., to get the net power factor close to 1.0). That is the essence of the patent: the wiring layout that includes the capacitors and the switches.

Besoeker

And, as yet, there has been no response to my post #70.
From anyone.
Real measurements in real time.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
I can't see how capacitors alone could cause that distortion. There must be some active components.

kwired

Electron manager
I noticed that a couple people were doing the calc to see how much it was possible to save (assuming it actually worked) but everyone seems to be forgetting that this device costs $15.00 EVERY MONTH!!! It covers "Maintenance". Thats the worst part of the scam.

Sad thing is there are people who will spend $15 per month to save $15 or less thinking that they are doing the right thing.

Besoeker

I can't see how capacitors alone could cause that distortion. There must be some active components.

There are no active components in the "device". It's simply a capacitor. And that's at the heart of the matter.
Domestic supplies have many non-linear loads connected to them. I^2R mentions some of them in post #53.
Such non-linear loads take non-linear current from the supply and the result is that the voltage gets distorted and that's, in part, how the harmonic currents arise in the device. Being capacitive, it has an impedance that is inversely proportional to frequency - it sucks in harmonic currents. The other effect is that it, along with the motor to which it is connected, form a parallel resonant circuit which is how I think the higher order frequencies are generated. To an extent, I^2R is correct, in the capacitors are not the origin of the problem and would not be if you had a perfectly clean sinusoidal supply and no non-linear loads. But, with the increasing proliferation of electronic gizmos, who does?

I took the measurements at home. Home is in a residential area that is served by an 11kV/400V Dyn transformer. At a guess, it's about 1500kVA. It's a common arrangement for residential in UK. The domestic voltage is 230V phase to neutral. We happen to live close to it so we should have a pretty stiff supply that we shouldn't be able to distort. However there are two (or more) issues to consider. The first is the aggregate non-linear load from all the houses served by this transformer. The second is at the 11kV level. There are many transformers doing a similar application fed from that supply voltage. All with a similar load profile. In short, the 11kV has distortion on it.

I met this some years ago when we installed some drives in a pumping station. The station was fed from a dedicated 11kV/400V transformer. Part of our contract was to provide a harmonic analysis after installation to demonstrate that the harmonic voltage distortion at the point of common coupling, 11kV in this case, was within the limits set by the Electricity Association - a commonly used standard for the industry.

I made the measurements and was somewhat surprised by the results. The limits were exceeded - with or without the drives running. It was in a residential area and I concluded then that aggregate loading from electronic devices was maybe a bigger problem than generally recognised.

Status
Not open for further replies.