amps on h2o line

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There should be no current on the grounding electrode/water line period I have been told repeatedly that current doesnt go to ground it goes back to the source.
The current does go back to its source, but it does so using all available paths and the grounding electrode provides a path back to the source. In the case of a common metal underground water piping system, a very good path that will often carry 25% or more of the service grounded conductor current.
Don

brian john

I have read somewhere (or been told by someone more knowledgeable than me*) that with neutral ground current, while portions of the current take all available paths, that a majority of the current will try to flow close/adjacent to the phase conductors, be that on the neutral conductor (assuming it is intact) and the GEC, be that a copper conductor, EMT, MC, ECT. Anyone have any substantiation and/or input on this?

* And believe me those folks are everywhere.

coulter

LarryFine said:
The majority of current will take the path with the lowest impedance, regardless of why.

Larry -
Are you saying that a 1 ohm aluminum conductor path will pass just as much current as a 1 ohm copper conductor path -:confused:

blasphemy! Everyone knows that copper is a better conductor than alumunum:roll:

carl

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
coulter said:
Larry -
Are you saying that a 1 ohm aluminum conductor path will pass just as much current as a 1 ohm copper conductor path -:confused:

blasphemy! Everyone knows that copper is a better conductor than alumunum:roll:

Which weighs more, a pound of iron or a pound of popcorn?

In the off chance you're being serious, the aluminum conductor will be larger to exhibit the same resistance.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Brian,
while portions of the current take all available paths, that a majority of the current will try to flow close/adjacent to the phase conductors, be that on the neutral conductor (assuming it is intact) and the GEC, ...
That would be because remote paths have a higher impedance as a result of the inductive reactance.
Don

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
brian john said:
(or been told by someone more knowledgeable than me*) * And believe me those folks are everywhere.
Brian, quit running yourself down. I daresay a majority of the members here are humbled by (if not, at the very least respectful of) your experience, and contribution of it here. :)

So if you were fishing for a compliment, there, you got one. ;) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.