Ansul system

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
If a standing pilot goes out then the thermocouple (or other pilot monitor) should close the pilot valve.

For whatever reason, this is only ever true for the oven, never the range top. In six years of service work I never saw a range top with a thermocouple shut off or an oven without.

kwired

Electron manager
For whatever reason, this is only ever true for the oven, never the range top. In six years of service work I never saw a range top with a thermocouple shut off or an oven without.
I didn't think of range tops, why in the world did those never have a pilot monitor?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I didn't think of range tops, why in the world did those never have a pilot monitor?
Just a theory about some factors:
1. The range pilot is a low gas volume per hour.
2. The high volume gas burner in the oven cannot safely be turned on by its thermostat unless the pilot (or glow bar) is on. The thermostatic valve that does that can, with minimal extra cost, also turn off the pilot supply.
The range burner is turned on manually and is visible so it is not necessary to protect that supply. That means that a control for the pilot would require a separate valve and expense.
Not that it is not still a safety issue, but the long established tradition is to avoid that expense.

iwire

Staff member
Maybe it is because the oven pilot will fill the oven with gas allowing it to reach explosive levels.

On the other hand few kitchens will be so small and tight that the pilot could put enough gas into the room fast enough to reach explosive levels.

Just a guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.