Arc fault breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
There is not much data out there, but the data that was used to say AFCIs are needed, showed that 85% of the dwelling unit fires that were said to be of electrical origin occurred in dwelling units over 20 years old.

There is no way to control any of the factors..
If historical fire data is raised at the Siemens AFCI trial, it may not be allowed, since many courts have prohibited dubious statistical arguments that confound the jury. My guess is Siemens will rely on other evidence, such as UL 1699 test results, or settle before going to trial.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
If historical fire data is raised at the Siemens AFCI trial, it may not be allowed, since many courts have prohibited dubious statistical arguments that confound the jury. My guess is Siemens will rely on other evidence, such as UL 1699 test results, or settle before going to trial.
I'll be happy if this triggers other afci reduction in requirements but I'm not asking for gfpe to be added back in I'd just rather we get straight gfpe breakers.

ramsy

Occupation
Few dwelling unit fires are investigated by a trained fire investigator. Most are just reports filled out by the fire company officer, and there is pressure not to show the cause as "unknown".
Do you believe this is the case for arson investigations also?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Do you believe this is the case for arson investigations also?
No, where there is a loss of life or arson, a full fire investigation team will investigate the fire. In Illinois that will often be the State Fire Marshal's office. In the case of suspected arson, there will often be a second team hired by the insurance company
Not sure how 1699 has anything to do with real world fires...that simply describes the conditions where an AFCI must trip, and often included things like creating a carbon path using thousands of volts...something that does not happen in a typical dwelling unit.

ramsy

Occupation
No, where there is a loss of life or arson, a full fire investigation team will investigate the fire. In Illinois that will often be the State Fire Marshal's office. In the case of suspected arson, there will often be a second team hired by the insurance company
Thank you for clarifying this, very informative.
Not sure how 1699 has anything to do with real world fires...that simply describes the conditions where an AFCI must trip, and often included things like creating a carbon path using thousands of volts...something that does not happen in a typical dwelling unit.
I'm not making Siemens argument for them, unless they want to hire me as an expert witness.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I'm currently studying the codebook. my head is spinning from all the AFCI discourse I am reading.
Just stick with the code and local amendments as is till you have a good grasp of its implication in the trade. The last 10 years with afcis have been crazy. GFCI rules have expanded and those tend to stick so remember those and their implementation also the little issues they have in the 2020 and 2023 tend to either be amended out or there are TIAs holding them back till UL can catch up.

synchro

Occupation
EE
Cows caused the bad transformer connections at my house! About three poles down, there is one in the middle of a pasture. The cows use it as a scratching post. The transformer rocks back and forth rather violently. I’ve been trying to catch it on video and post it when I think of it!

I wonder if oil filled transformers might then be used for a hog oiler. ;)

Phillip Land

Next time changing a light, with switch off, touch Neutral & Grounding with different fingers. It will trip any connected AFCI protective device.

It does not matter if 30mA GFPE is included with C/AFCI or not. Human-body resistance varies, but it trips all brands of AFCI breaker and outlet types. This differs from bolting N-G together, which does trip Class-2 GFCI's, not sure about GFPE.

Since impedance implies current flow, allow me to reword my earlier statement:

Since AFCI's trip when touching N-G to different fingers, this resistance trigger is an empirical trip function of all types of C/AFCI.
I do this of often on newer CAFCIs and they never trip whether I touch them together directly or through my fingers. They only trip on earlier versions that had 30 ma of gfpe built into them

ramsy

Occupation
I do this of often on newer CAFCIs and they never trip whether I touch them together directly or through my fingers. They only trip on earlier versions that had 30 ma of gfpe built into them
Which 2 wires are you talking about?

ramsy

Occupation
Neutral and equipment ground
Correct wires.
I do this of often on newer CAFCIs and they never trip whether I touch them together directly or through my fingers.
Always works for me.

My Milwaukee meter (signal voltage similar to study below) reads my galvanic skin response ~3MΩ between fingers or hands, 30kΩ initially between arm pits.

ramsy

Occupation
How much resistance is too much. With enough resistance nothing will ever trip anything
1-Ohm was enough, using Milwaukee meter.

Since resistance breaks down with voltage, and little voltage is ever metered across N-G prongs of live GFCI, the Milwaukee multi-meter low-voltage signal is closest approximation available to me.

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Ground fault devices always trip on hot to ground fault, not Neutral to EGC with resistance.
The currently available GFCIs have a grounded neutral detection circuit and will trip on a neutral to EGC fault even without current on the circuit. The neutral ground fault detection is required by UL 943.

Status
Not open for further replies.