Arc fault breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I am curious how a utility neutral will cause issues with an AFCI breaker that only trips when the load side of the breaker has arcing.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
I tried other arcfault breakers and they do the same thing.i was wondering if the neufrom the electric company is at fault
Common to all arc fault breaker & outlet devices:
1) Listens for signals in all directions. Like a radio antenna it can't ignore utility noise.
2) Trip when Neutral & Grounding touch different fingers of same hand. High-impedance N-G short.
3) Not warranted for voltage spikes, and instructions require self-test monthly, to check if destroyed.
4) No AFCI ever made is expected to survive the next Carrington event.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
there are only 2 breakers in sub both arcfaults it still trips Instantly

Why does one breaker trip and the other not??
I tried other arcfault breakers and they do the same thing.
Why does the remaining breaker NOT trip? Maybe it's the one that is defective?
I am curious how a utility neutral will cause issues with an AFCI breaker that only trips when the load side of the breaker has arcing.
1) Listens for signals in all directions. Like a radio antenna it can't ignore utility noise.
If so, there would have to be continuous and severe arcing which would be noticed for other reasons. This is the service for only that residence.

This just doesn't add up.

As a side note: "Listens for signals in all directions. Like a radio antenna it can't ignore utility noise." If this is true it's another nail in the AFCI coffin.

-Hal

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Why does one breaker trip and the other not??

Why does the remaining breaker NOT trip? Maybe it's the one that is defective?

If so, there would have to be continuous and severe arcing which would be noticed for other reasons. This is the service for only that residence.

This just doesn't add up.

As a side note: "Listens for signals in all directions. Like a radio antenna it can't ignore utility noise." If this is true it's another nail in the AFCI coffin.

-Hal
I think both our money is on the breaker being either defective or having a fault on the circuit of some kind since it's not a case of the breaker holding for a few seconds but just not working at all.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I think both our money is on the breaker being either defective or having a fault on the circuit of some kind since it's not a case of the breaker holding for a few seconds but just not working at all.
As I've read through, it seems he's been adamant that numerous breakers have acted the same way, but only in that one position (or at least only on that one leg)

And he's been saying the same thing from the beginning

I think it took 40 posts and 6 replies from OP to get it through that it trips with no wires connected to it 🤦‍♂️

Benderofmiami

Occupation
electrical contractor
You may want to check and make sure that the neutral isn't being shared with a different hot, AFCI and GFI's need dedicated neutrals. or they will trip one of the circuit breakers sharing that neutral.This can be a problem in existing systems where they shared 2- hots and1-neutral.

macmikeman

I am not in agreement with that. I went thru much the same issue on a new addition once and when I ended up outside at the service drop finally and shook it around a bit the afci's started tripping to off , one after another. The afci's detect upstream and downstream. At least that version did- Eaton yellow button long single pole 15 and 20 amp afci breakers. They were horrible . The ones they have now are much better.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I am not in agreement with that. I went thru much the same issue on a new addition once and when I ended up outside at the service drop finally and shook it around a bit the afci's started tripping to off , one after another. The afci's detect upstream and downstream. At least that version did- Eaton yellow button long single pole 15 and 20 amp afci breakers. They were horrible . The ones they have now are much better.

I don't think so, AFAIK, if you connect the N - G on the line side (upstream) the breaker will not trip. I will experiment tomorrow.

macmikeman

I don't think so, AFAIK, if you connect the N - G on the line side (upstream) the breaker will not trip. I will experiment tomorrow.
What does neutral attached to ground have to do with Arc Fault , unless you are speaking about dual use ones where there is gfi technology built into the breaker. AFCI is not the same as GFI .

Secondly I did not mention neutral till you did. The arc can be detected upstream of the breaker in an arc within one of the hots feeding a dwelling. It's not just neutrals that come loose, primarily due to high wind for the overheads and aluminum oxidization for the buried feeders. Shake em around enough and if the crimp is not tight enough, an arc occurs if there is a load on the system.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Cows caused the bad transformer connections at my house! About three poles down, there is one in the middle of a pasture. The cows use it as a scratching post. The transformer rocks back and forth rather violently. I’ve been trying to catch it on video and post it when I think of it!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Common to all arc fault breaker & outlet devices:
2) Trip when Neutral & Grounding touch different fingers of same hand. High-impedance N-G short.
3) Not warranted for voltage spikes, and instructions require self-test monthly, to check if destroyed.
4) No AFCI ever made is expected to survive the next Carrington event.
Since the fire cause and origin data that was used to show the need for AFCIs showed that about 85% of the dwelling unit fires said to be of electrical origin were in units over 20 years old, they probably won't be functional when needed anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.