Arc fault breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crash117

Occupation
C-2 electrical contractor/owner operator
it sounds like the neutral feeding that panel is mixed up with one of the hots.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Here are the 6 things that can cause a CH arc fault to trip. If they would hold, the blinking light on it would tell you which of the 6 items is the issue. However, see items 4 and 6, as they can occur with no load wires connected.

0 Mechanical Disconnect. The breaker has detected an overload, short circuit, or was manually turned off

1 Low Current Arc. A low current “series” arc has been detected within one of the current pathways. These arcs are typically found in worn or degraded appliance and extension cords, poor connections in appliances or fixtures, or in contacts within equipment

2 High Current Arc. A high current “parallel” arc has been detected between two conductors. These arcs are usually found in installed wiring where the wire has been compromised by a nail or screw, tight staple, damaged insulation.

3 Short Delay. Short delay is an electronic backup to the short circuit mechanism The breaker does not record short-circuit, or overcurrent trips, nor does it record trips caused by pressing the TEST button, or manually switching the breaker off.

4 Overvoltage. The breaker will trip if it experiences voltage of 160V RMS or greater. The breaker can be reset and the “TEST” button can be pushed to verify the breaker is working properly.

5 Ground fault. Current has found an alternate path to ground.

6 Self Test Failure. The breaker continually tests the internal electronics and software to ensure the arc fault detection technology is working properly. If the self diagnostics fail, the breaker will trip

Occupation
Electrician
I beleave the fault is with the service neutral.
It's a 200 amp underground service .

I say this because after trying everything suggested no result.
And that I turned off eve=to in the main panel
Leaving only the subpanel and the neutral still tripped the arcfault

Sent from my SM-A025U using Tapatalk

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I beleave the fault is with the service neutral.
It's a 200 amp underground service .

I say this because after trying everything suggested no result.
And that I turned off eve=to in the main panel
Leaving only the subpanel and the neutral still tripped the arcfault

Did you try GFCI breakers?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Very simple to test without special equipment
It should be obvious even without a meter.

OP. Get your test equipment out and check the Line to Line and Line to Neutral voltages at the service entrance and again at your subpanel. With all single pole breakers Off and all On. Leave the two pole breakers off. A bad neutral will be indicated by different line to neutral voltages. Say 140 and 100 while the L to L is 240.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
The issue can not be anywhere upstream from the breaker.

Remove the Green bonding screw from the neutral buss bar at the sub panel.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I will try that.
Does anyone know if the service neutral from
Co op could cause thus its a 200 amp underground service . Or a loose neutral at the Meyer

No. There are two types of AFCI breakers, Series or Parallel, then “Combination” (CAFCI) are both. Series looks for arc signatures going across a break in the wire, Parallel look for an arc going from line to ground or neutral. If the service neutral is disconnected, there is no arc to neutral for it to see.

GFCIs however might trip because they might not see the same current returning on the neutral. If your breakers are the “dual” AFCI/GFCI type, then usually the breaker has an indicator light that will tell you what it tripped on. If it is tripping on GF, then I would check the service neutral or the neutral back TO the service panel.

Chances are however, this is a wiring problem on your load side as others have said.
Ok, I see now that you disconnected the load wire…

Are there any AFCI breakers in the Service panel or are these the only ones? If there is arcing in the service neutral, bonding or your feed to this panel, and these are the only AFCI breakers anywhere in this system, they might be picking up that arc.

Last edited:

Earthed

Occupation
Electrical Inspector, Plumbing Inspector, Residential Building Official
Replace it with a regular breaker. If it holds, you have a lose connection or possibly a flying splice.
An AFCI found a flying splice that I would have never found if I hadn't upgraded the breakers to AFCI's.

Status
Not open for further replies.