Are these boxes code compliant?

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
Hello all, This's exterior of the building and after the block wall, there's cover with foam layer and after that the brick is the final termination. Is this installation code compliant even if these boxes are installed in the compartment between the block and the brick? The exterior wall is wet location and all devices have to be installed in boxes rating for wet location.
Comments to clarify are very appreciate.Thanks and Merry Christmas all 20231222_102228.jpg

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
That’s going to be a thick wall! Going to be a big pain to pull wire! I think I would just turn a 90 into the back of a masonry box, if you’re not at the bend limit. It will be held in place by the brick.

Buck Parrish

NEC 314.29 makes this install non code compliant. The wires inside the box must be accessible.
In laymens terms, it's just stupid, it wouldn't be prudent. ;)
I agree with Hillbilly

Nice pic,that really helps out with the description. (y)

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
In terms of the definition Wet location according to art.100, the exterior wall would be the block or the brick and every device box in between have to be listed for wet location or not?

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
That's
Couldn't the strapping on that PVC be taken loose and moving it out towards the outer wall and use just one box or box and mud ring?
That's could be better solution but the box and mud ring can be regular 4" sq or have to be some type of bell boxes?

Buck Parrish

That's

That's could be better solution but the box and mud ring can be regular 4" sq or have to be some type of bell boxes?
Regular 4 inch square. It does not have to be water proof. Some guys will put a little duct tape on the holes if you're worried about mortar getting in.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Couldn't the strapping on that PVC be taken loose and moving it out towards the outer wall and use just one box or box and mud ring?

That is what I would do. I would put a kick at the bottom and bring the pipe into a deep masonry box. The problem would be fastening the box. Once everything was in place it would probably do fine without fastening but the inspector may not like that .

kwired

Electron manager
Was going to say, the masons are going to want to kill you if you do it with that method. ⚰️
make an offset right below the box so they only need to cut out one or two bricks below and you may have to buy them lunch at least. They probably already not happy about having the box there to begin with. Horizontal opening that lines up with one course of brick is best thing to them if it has to be there.

Buck Parrish

There is no requirement for boxes in masonry to be masonry boxes.
From the UL Guide Information for "Metallic Outlet Boxes (QCIT)"
"All metal boxes, except aluminum alloy boxes, are provided with corrosion protection suitable for installation in concrete."
Thanks, I knew that. Some guys including the OP may not. They think they need to use a weatherproof box. It being the only one not allowed ;) We used to use octagon box extensions in the slab for the fire alarm circuits. We would fill them with sand then put a cover on from the top. We tied them off with tie wire to the rebar.