Are these boxes code compliant?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
There is no requirement for boxes in masonry to be masonry boxes.
From the UL Guide Information for "Metallic Outlet Boxes (QCIT)"
"All metal boxes, except aluminum alloy boxes, are provided with corrosion protection suitable for installation in concrete."
'In concrete' is not the same as 'outdoors'.

jaggedben

Occupation
Not sure what outdoor has to do with what I posted. the post I replied to said you need a masonry box...those are not outdoor boxes.

In the context of the thread, it seemed like you were saying the boxes or extension rings in the OP don't need to be outdoor boxes. You seemed to say that in the post prior to the one I quoted as well. I disagree.

jaggedben

Occupation
The OP said

" The exterior wall is wet location and all devices have to be installed in boxes rating for wet location."

Unless this is some sort of very unusual construction, I would not agree with that statement.

You really think brick on an exterior wall isn't a wet location? What about stucco?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In the context of the thread, it seemed like you were saying the boxes or extension rings in the OP don't need to be outdoor boxes. You seemed to say that in the post prior to the one I quoted as well. I disagree.
I only commented on the post that said you need a masonry box which has the exact same rating as the 4" extension rings.
However the original post says that the boxes will be behind the outer finish of the wall, and if that is the case, there is no reason for a wet location or outdoor box. Just the cover would need to be so rated, but not the boxes or extension rings.

jaggedben

Occupation
Do you use wet location boxes when installed flush in wood or composite siding?

If it's outside the building paper then I probably would anyway, yes. But that isn't the case here. I see this as more like a stucco situation. Anyone who thinks a non-weather proof box in stucco isn't a wet location doesn't know much about stucco IMO. I've actually never done brick but I see it as similar.

Gasketed weatherproof covers should be fine, that is the only part that is a wet location most situations.

If you can ensure that the box is flush, then perhaps. But how does the OP do that when another trade is building the wall around the box?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Also how does a gasketed cover seal a box that doesn't have a continuous rim to seal against?
The face of the siding is intended to shed bulk water (even while it does allow some water through), and the gasketed cover is to seal against the siding. With the bulk water excluded, the box is not subject to "saturation with water" (wet location) but only "moderate degrees of moisture" (damp location).

Cheers, Wayne

jaggedben

Occupation
The face of the siding is intended to shed bulk water (even while it does allow some water through), and the gasketed cover is to seal against the siding. With the bulk water excluded, the box is not subject to "saturation with water" (wet location) but only "moderate degrees of moisture" (damp location).

Cheers, Wayne

For anyone who can consistently manage to do this on smooth siding, I admire their craftsmanship. Me, I'll probably save the time and pay for a weatherproof box. Also I don't buy that it works for masonry.

I might be convinced that a non-weatherproof box could be code compliant in some circumstances, but I don't think I can be convinced it doesn't suck.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
That is what I would do. I would put a kick at the bottom and bring the pipe into a deep masonry box. The problem would be fastening the box. Once everything was in place it would probably do fine without fastening but the inspector may not like that .
No problem. Just mount it on the same stack of four-inch boxes and extenders.

For anyone who can consistently manage to do this on smooth siding, I admire their craftsmanship. Me, I'll probably save the time and pay for a weatherproof box. Also I don't buy that it works for masonry.

I might be convinced that a non-weatherproof box could be code compliant in some circumstances, but I don't think I can be convinced it doesn't suck.
I am not aware of any weather proof boxes that would work for a flush application. I don't see any issue with the bell covers, yeah they kinda suck like a lot of electrical things. Use some caulk around the cover if you feel the need. An Arlington in-box is nice, but not great for remodel applications with lap siding - and it's not a weather proof box either.