Area with the lowest electrical fires

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJWalecka

I have been researching what State or area in the USA has the lowest house fires do to Electricity. Does anyone have any facts or figures to add? It would be appreciated.

What I found so far on fires as a whole:
Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee, West Virginia and Washington, DC. lead the nation in the highest incidence of fire deaths with 25 deaths per million people per year. That had me pondering what, NEC enforced, area had the lowest electrical fire average.

?The total estimated cost of fire to our society is a nearly unimaginable 165 billion dollars per year. This figure includes the cost of paid fire departments, the costs incurred for volunteer fire departments, the cost of losses, injuries, and insurance as well as the cost of fire protection added to existing and new structures.? This quote is regarding fire as a whole it is still a disturbing figure.

As contractors, do you try and educated customers on the hazards of electrical fires and the benefit of quality installations? I understand the need to spend money wisely but think of how much money we could save as a nation. You get what you pay for. I don?t understand how insurance companies can accept shoddy work.

What?s the value of life? A handyman might be able to do the work cheap but when the building burns down how much money was really saved. The lowest bidder is not necessarily better.

Sorry for going off on a tangent. Any information on the area of the USA with the lowest fires do to electrical fires would be appreciated.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The data in the link that Charlie provided does not match the data in the information from the US Fire Administration The USFA data shows much lower percentage of fatal fires of electrical origin. I wonder if the NFPA report was prepared as part of the process of requiring AFCIs?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The following is from comment 2-132 for the 2008 code as submitted by a former Chief Electrical Inspector for the City of Chicago.
In Chicago for the past 50 plus years 100% of legally constructed dwelling type structures have used metal raceway and metal boxes as the wiring method for the fixed wiring in dwellings. I have attached substantiation in the form of NIFRS Data that compares Chicago vs National residential electrical fires. The data shows that Chicago, which uses metal raceway exclusively for dwelling occupancies, has (4) times fewer residential electrical fires as a percentage of total residential fires, than found nationally. Moreover, there are nearly (3) times fewer fires caused by the distribution, which includes the fixed or installed wiring.

brian john

The following is from comment 2-132 for the 2008 code as submitted by a former Chief Electrical Inspector for the City of Chicago.

In late 60's early 70's the number of electrical related fires in the City of Alexandria Virginia were reduced. The new Chief Electrical Electrical inspector got involved in investigations and would not let fires from unknown sources be placed in the electrical related column.

The residential fires I have seen were mostly extension cord, lightning, 3 from defective services and countless fires from unattended pots on the stove. Though I would think EMT would minimize fires.

All the commercial fires I have been involved in were 480 VAC equipment failures most with some human interaction and a quite few grease fires.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
In late 60's early 70's the number of electrical related fires in the City of Alexandria Virginia were reduced. The new Chief Electrical Electrical inspector got involved in investigations and would not let fires from unknown sources be placed in the electrical related column.

That was pretty much what comes to mind when I read Dons post. There are too many factors to consider to just assume it is the use of raceways that lowered the number. Better fire investigation practices could greatly effect that number.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
That was pretty much what comes to mind when I read Dons post. There are too many factors to consider to just assume it is the use of raceways that lowered the number. Better fire investigation practices could greatly effect that number.

I would venture to say a very high percentage of electrical fires involved some guy with a mullet, an extension cord, and a mobile home. ;)

Roger

brian john

I would venture to say a very high percentage of electrical fires involved some guy with a mullet, an extension cord, and a mobile home. ;)

Roger

The company I use to work for did a lot of mobile home park work, the stuff I saw would curl straight hair and straighten curled hair. I became convinced electricity is a lot safer than we give it credit for or all the parks I worked in would have been burnt down.

We were only allowed to do what was on the work ticket and STRICTLY warned by the service manger to touch nothing else.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The residential fires I have seen were mostly extension cord, lightning, 3 from defective services and countless fires from unattended pots on the stove. ...
I tend to agree that most of the fires of electrical origin are not from the fixed wiring of the structure, but from cords and equipment connected to the load side of the outlet. However the numbers used to require AFCIs said that 40% of the fires of electrical origin were from the fixed wiring of the structure.

JJWalecka

don_resqcapt19
thank you for the very interesting and useful information.

“However the numbers used to require AFCIs said that 40% of the fires of electrical origin were from the fixed wiring of the structure.” Does fixed wiring of the structure imply the stapling of romex?

The information stated about compartmentalization was interesting.

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
don_resqcapt19
thank you for the very interesting and useful information.

?However the numbers used to require AFCIs said that 40% of the fires of electrical origin were from the fixed wiring of the structure.? Does fixed wiring of the structure imply the stapling of romex?

The information stated about compartmentalization was interesting.
The fixed wiring of the building is anything on the line side of the outlet, so yes it includes the stapling of romex. I just don't believe that the number is correct, but then I don't believe the total number of fires of electrical origin is correct either. I think that both numbers are very inflated.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I have smelled a rat all along on AFCI's. If arcing is such a concern, backstabbing should have never been allowed. It is terrible on most devices most of the time. When you can hit the wall over a switch and make the light flicker, that's a problem waiting to happen. I've replaced hundreds of switches and receptacles burned up by backstabbing.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
On of my apprenticeship instructors, also an inspector, told us he talked with a fire marshall about how they decided whether a fire was caused by faulty wiring. He was told that if nothing else could be found, it was blamed on the wiring. A scary proposition for us. How about that discarded match into a dust pile that fired up and the match was consumed? Becomes wiring by defect. That's a big part of why I have talked guys out of hiding splices, hiding boxes in ceilings, etc. If ever found after a fire, the investigation would likely stop there.

Status
Not open for further replies.