Banned panels and breakers

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
They would be better served to state, No electrical over current protection installed or manufactured be for 1980.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The only Square D I’ve seen problems with were fusible switches. I can’t remember if it was the QMB, or which models it was. But it was mainly due to lack of maintenance and operation. The grease would dry up, and sometimes the blades would not open.
That probably would have been their Bolt-Loc line of bolted pressure switches. When the grease 'froze up' you couldn't open it even with a crowbar. Yearly opening and closing was recommended.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
That probably would have been their Bolt-Loc line of bolted pressure switches. When the grease 'froze up' you couldn't open it even with a crowbar. Yearly opening and closing was recommended.
Yeah, that was it, it’s been a long time since I worked on one. I was in Florida after a hurricane, and couldn’t hook up a generator on a Home Depot because the main switch wouldn’t open.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Yeah, that was it, it’s been a long time since I worked on one. I was in Florida after a hurricane, and couldn’t hook up a generator on a Home Depot because the main switch wouldn’t open.
Yeah. We can't have a short planned outage, but we don't mind an extended unplanned one.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
The insurance companies make profit by denying claims and HOA board of directors are layman that are clueless. I stopped contracting with them years ago. Also, they have deep pockets and can make it very difficult for you if you cross them.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
Insurance company knows nothing.
There is a data recovery and document scanning facility here that takes all kinds of old data and imports it into digital form. They have old vintage reel to reel tape drives and very old computer floppy drives, all kinds of video tape / film etc can be digitized, and truckloads of stuff go in and out of this facility enough that they needed a forklift and charger which I wired.
I asked what government agency it was for and they laughed and said the government could never afford this, its all for insurance companies, they are training a "Machine leaning model" to forecast what kinds of accidents will happen in the future and what buildings to insure. The are importing all kinds of old building records, accident records, medical claims, product records its enormous the data that they are collecting.
They can input an address and it will spit out a list of things not to insure, electrical, roofing, mechanical, plumbing etc.
It can track things like the builder of the building or the company's that pulled permits on that address.
The companies purchase any records they can get and feed them into the "AI"
So id say the insurance companies might know more than nothing.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
There is a data recovery and document scanning facility here that takes all kinds of old data and imports it into digital form. They have old vintage reel to reel tape drives and very old computer floppy drives, all kinds of video tape / film etc can be digitized, and truckloads of stuff go in and out of this facility enough that they needed a forklift and charger which I wired.
I asked what government agency it was for and they laughed and said the government could never afford this, its all for insurance companies, they are training a "Machine leaning model" to forecast what kinds of accidents will happen in the future and what buildings to insure. The are importing all kinds of old building records, accident records, medical claims, product records its enormous the data that they are collecting.
They can input an address and it will spit out a list of things not to insure, electrical, roofing, mechanical, plumbing etc.
It can track things like the builder of the building or the company's that pulled permits on that address.
Proof is in the pudding. Look how it turned out for the OPs HOA. AI still isn't I as far as I've seen.

Last edited by a moderator:

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
I know Squsre D had a recall a few years back on a certain type of panel. I wonder if that’s why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician

TheCats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quick summary to avoid everyone needing to follow the link: Plug-on-neutral only, manufactured December 2019 through March 2022.

Unrelated: I've seen Challenger branded panels with no Challenger breakers. The old recall might explain that. It's cheaper to replace all of the breakers than repeatedly explain and document that they aren't a hazard.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Face it it's all Junk compared to what it used to be. Look at a residential panel.

1. A tin box
2. a main breaker
3. a couple off busbars
4 a bunch of plastic
5. a neutral bar and maybe a ground bar.

I always thought the QO was better quality but maybe not.

TheCats

Face it it's all Junk compared to what it used to be. Look at a residential panel.

1. A tin box
2. a main breaker
3. a couple off busbars
4 a bunch of plastic
5. a neutral bar and maybe a ground bar.

I always thought the QO was better quality but maybe not.

I don't see a "used to be" here. There have been remarkably few changes in the past half century. All of the modernization has happened within the breaker cases.

Plug-on-neutral, motivated by enhanced breakers, is hardly an innovation. It's the bare minimum improvement.

A modern panel would have easier clamping, single point termination, solid-state power switches, configurable trip characteristics, configurable reclosing for critical circuits, reporting and diagnostics, lighted trip indication, load limiting/shedding, low- and high-voltage protection, power reporting, etc.

Even the first, single point termination, is missing. Preparing the ends of 14-2, 14-3, 12-2 and 12-3 should take a few seconds with a dedicated stripping tool, stick the ends as a group in position, and flip a lever. You shouldn't have to run ground and neutral to bus bars on opposite sides of the enclosure, then hope the obscured wire is properly under the clamp screw.

Birken Vogt

Garbage in garbage out.

Nobody knows what is going on behind the curtain with software, AI is just a more powerful black box that gets things more definitively wrong.

Any predictive model that says you can use nothing from Square D and Siemens is quite obviously broken and nonsense.

BHastings

His policy because his roof was to old. He called and they told him they had a satellite photo and they could tell it needed to be replaced 5 years ago. He said send me the pic. They did and it was a 5 year old satellite photo their AI bot had pulled off the web and tagged for cancelation. He had replaced that year with a new 20 year roof post their image. He had to pull newer shots and send in for a human review to get the ruling overturned.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
His policy because his roof was to old. He called and they told him they had a satellite photo and they could tell it needed to be replaced 5 years ago. He said send me the pic. They did and it was a 5 year old satellite photo their AI bot had pulled off the web and tagged for cancelation. He had replaced that year with a new 20 year roof post their image. He had to pull newer shots and send in for a human review to get the ruling overturned.
The exact same thing happened with me. The roof had been replaced since the pics they used.