Banned panels and breakers

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
The prohibition of "Increased Hazards" during the insurance policy term, is common language in most state insurance codes.

This Insurance code is separate from construction defect law, trade license law, workman's comp. requirements, building permit violations, safety code, or fire hazards, but if found by any AHJ listed in NEC 90.4, insurance non-renewal & cancellation typically prevails with such illegality, if not complete loss of casualty claims for property owners.

Its very strange that insurance is identifying its highest risk at fuse boxes, with poor AFCI support, such as SQ-D QO, and which are least likely to spontaneously combust like everything else down stream.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have no doubt, GM keeps turning on my Onstar with limited service for free, so no doubt they are selling the info. Didn’t think about that anterior motive. I just figured they were trying to get me to resubscribe.
Both... trying to get you to join in on their "ARR" (Annual Recurring Revenue) program AND selling the tracking data just in case you don't (or do for that matter).

Know who else is? Your cell phone carrier. Have you ever seen the highway signs in congested areas that tell you "24 minutes to Downtown", "13 minutes to XYZ bridge"? They know that because cell phones have been tracking everyone that goes by.

ARR by the way is the new corporate-speak for how business models are changing. They don't want us peons to "own" stuff any more by selling it at a higher price, they want us to pay small amounts continually to use it. To me, it is not coincidental that ARR is the sound a pirate makes when he is taking your money...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Know who else is? Your cell phone carrier. Have you ever seen the highway signs in congested areas that tell you "24 minutes to Downtown", "13 minutes to XYZ bridge"? They know that because cell phones have been tracking everyone that goes by.
So, I affect the signs when I go extra fast?
burnout.gif

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Big box stores use Bluetooth receivers in the LED drivers to communicate locations of customers in the stores. They don’t know who you are, but your phone’s Bluetooth lets them track you, and if stand in a certain place for a period of time, like looking at a product or display, it logs it.

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired
In Northern Virginia many many condos and apartments built in the 1970s have Federal Pacific panels. In the last year I have received calls from several property managers soliciting bids for replacing the panels. It is the same story. The insurance company is pressuring them to replace the panels. The insurance companies are threatening cancellation or big increases.

We know these panels have a bad reputation but did something happen that provoked this response from the insurance companies?
Federal Pacific Electric was sued out of existence after they falsified factory testing of their breakers and they wouldn't open on a bolted fault. The journeymen were very fond of illustrating the problem by arc welding on the nearest piece of grounded metal with a wire connected to a FPE breaker. Guess who paid all of the losses from those fires? The insurance industry of course.

That is why many of them are ceasing to write policies for properties in hurricane prone areas. Some State Insurance Commissioners are now retaliating by forbidding those companies from writing any insurance in their State. If they want to write the highly profitable stuff, like car insurance, they have to write the more marginal stuff like homeowners policies.

All stockholder owned insurance companies will avoid paying a loss based on any excuse they can find.

Tom Horne

Last edited:

hillbilly1

Occupation
Federal Pacific Electric was sued out of existence after they falsified factory testing of their breakers and they wouldn't open on a bolted fault. The journeymen were very fond of illustrating the problem by arc welding on the nearest piece of grounded metal with a wire connected to a FPE breaker. Guess who paid all of the losses from those fires? The insurance industry of course.

That is why many of them are ceasing to write policies for properties in hurricane prone areas. Some State Insurance Commissioners are now retaliating by forbidding those companies from writing any insurance in their State. If they want to write the highly profitable stuff, like car insurance, they have to write the more marginal stuff like homeowners policies.

All stockholder owned insurance companies will avoid paying a loss based on any excuse they can find.

Tom Horne
Back before circuit tracers came out, I would work in KMarts which had FPE panels, tried to trip the breaker to replace broke floor outlets, most of the time I had to just work it hot, because the breaker would not trip!

hornetd

Occupation
Back before circuit tracers came out, I would work in KMarts which had FPE panels, tried to trip the breaker to replace broke floor outlets, most of the time I had to just work it hot, because the breaker would not trip!
I regularly turned down work involving FPE breakers when they couldn't be deenergized. On one trouble call I told them I would come back at midnight when I could kill the Westinghouse feeder breaker to the entire panel. When the manager said he thought that wasn't warranted I welded my phone number into the panel cover and told him to call me if he changed his mind. I left a note that explained that I had done the welding with a wire off one of the FPE breakers. He called back at 7PM and I arranged it for he following night. I showed up with a box of Federal Pacific Canada breakers and changed out every one. I then demonstrated that the new ones tripped before you even had firm contact with the neutral busbar. He didn't even blink when I presented a bill with graveyard shift differential hourly rate.

Tom Horne

kwired

Electron manager
Before tracers came out or before you ever seen/heard of one?

I would think the ability to make one of these was around probably in 1940's but actual use of such things were likely somewhat limited to certain industries and likely may have started out with a need to find pairs/conductors in telephone cables.

That said would been somewhat easy to connect a load that varies in an easy to detect pattern at easy to detect load level and clamp an ammeter around conductors until you find the one with that load pattern on it.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Before tracers came out or before you ever seen/heard of one?

I would think the ability to make one of these was around probably in 1940's but actual use of such things were likely somewhat limited to certain industries and likely may have started out with a need to find pairs/conductors in telephone cables.

That said would been somewhat easy to connect a load that varies in an easy to detect pattern at easy to detect load level and clamp an ammeter around conductors until you find the one with that load pattern on it.
Those work good in residential, but too time consuming in commercial. Too many panels to take apart.

BarryO

Occupation
Electrical engineer (retired)
Have you ever seen the highway signs in congested areas that tell you "24 minutes to Downtown", "13 minutes to XYZ bridge"? They know that because cell phones have been tracking everyone that goes by.
I don't know about other places, but the signs in the Portland, OR area work by recording the Bluetooth addresses of passing phones, and then recording them again when they are further down the road.

BarryO

Occupation
Electrical engineer (retired)
Insurance company knows nothing.
My experience with insurance companies is that they hear some rumour about something, and that can easily turn into an policy endorsement banning the use of it.
Some insurance companies will not cover your home if you have K&T wiring or aluminum wiring. The trick is not to mention it when you are buying the home.

One prospective buyer told his insurance company and they wouldn't cover him with the aluminum wiring. The same house was bought by another person who never said a word about the aluminum and the house is covered ----unless they have a disclaimer hidden in the contract.
Yep. You know how they say "don't talk to the police"? Don't talk to insurance agents. Never volunteer information that they don't specifically ask for. Never engage in "friendly" chit-chat.

hornetd

Occupation
Can't say I blame the insurance companies. A known hazard needs to be mitigated.
Quoting what you are replying to is very helpful to those trying to figure out what you are replying to. You just highlight the portion of someone else's post that you want to reply to and a link labeled reply will drop down. When you use that link the reply box will only contain the highlighted portion of the post's text but it will provide a link to take the reader back to the original posting.

kwired

Electron manager
Quoting what you are replying to is very helpful to those trying to figure out what you are replying to. You just highlight the portion of someone else's post that you want to reply to and a link labeled reply will drop down.
Cool, I never knew you could do it that way. I just did it for this reply.