Bats in the belfry

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
New job today doing a new roof. Suprised to see POCO vault open. There is new hardware on the doors but they won't close all the way. Even though it's a POCO vault it's the customers responsibility to provide working doors.

Note the amount of droppings on the conductors and floor. How long has it been like this? Saftey first is the FPL moto.:roll:

View attachment 1652

View attachment 1653

mxslick

That transformer in the front looks like it's been overheated and leaked some oil.....and the one behind it looks like the primary lug is cooked....

What a mess. I'd not want to go into that vault even without the droppings.

charlie

chris kennedy said:
Surprised to see POCO vault open. . .Even though it's a POCO vault it's the customers responsibility to provide working doors. :roll:
I am not a big fan of reporting everything. However, I hope you have reported this to the serving electric utility. This reminds me of an open vault at Purdue University where a student was electrocuted. :mad:

chris kennedy

Occupation
On a more serious note, I missed charlies post.

charlie said:
I am not a big fan of reporting everything. However, I hope you have reported this to the serving electric utility. This reminds me of an open vault at Purdue University where a student was electrocuted. :mad:
Poco was there but didn't have a big enough hammer. As of taday the door is still not locked. They're working on it. Heres a POCO lineman checking the depth of the droppings.

View attachment 1660

Last edited by a moderator:

chris kennedy

Occupation
peter d said:
Chris, that building look like it has a few other major issues in addition to the vault. :roll:

Good eye Peter. The biggest issue I see is this building lacks a bulldozer.

csparkrun

i can see why they have this room out of reach from everyone, they obviously don't ever plan on servicing any of this equipment live. if the flash didn't kill you, the fall certaintly would. i didn't see any bat carcuses:confused:

iaov

chris kennedy said:
On a more serious note, I missed charlies post.

Poco was there but didn't have a big enough hammer. As of taday the door is still not locked. They're working on it. Heres a POCO lineman checking the depth of the droppings.

View attachment 1660
Is there an allowable droppings depth? In my perusals of 450 I don't remember seeing that number.:D

chris kennedy

Occupation
csparkrun said:
i didn't see any bat carcuses:confused:
The thread title my be misleading.:smile: Look at the top left of the second pic. See the 3 pigeons?

Update:

As of Saturday afternoon there was still no lock on the doors.

charlie

chris kennedy said:
As of Saturday afternoon there was still no lock on the doors.
I don't understand why they have not cut the power if it is not been made safe in a very short time. I assure you that they would be dark if we found the same situation. I wonder if there are any extenuating circumstances that we do not see? :-?

chris kennedy

Occupation
charlie said:
I don't understand why they have not cut the power if it is not been made safe in a very short time. I assure you that they would be dark if we found the same situation. I wonder if there are any extenuating circumstances that we do not see? :-?
Extenuating circumstances such as what? I'm sure your aware of FPL's reputation of not being maintenance driven but profit driven.

I wired the door shut yesterday. At least someone would need tools to get in now.

The lineman that come out last week said he had to put in a work order for a different crew??? I'll call today to see whats up.

iwire

Staff member
Doesn't the building department have an issue with a door that opens to nowhere?

Where's the landing, the stairs etc.?:-?

Status
Not open for further replies.