Best route to run feeders from ATS back to main panel

kwired

Electron manager
I would be surprised if they required single meters to be 6 ft, that seems quite high to me. Usually I see 5 ft plus or minus as a spec I'd be real surprised if they didn't provide a range.
One that has the more stricter rules around here has generally wanted 4 to 6 feet to center. But never says a word when you have multi meters or pedestals that by nature ends up out of that range.

RBrown504

Occupation
I & E Tech
Somewhere there is probably a note that gives a min and a max, with 6' being the middle. One co-op near me lists between 4.5' and 6.5', with 5.5' on the drawing
This is the only things about permanent underground fed meters for residential, general notes are for all scenarios. We also have to have the top of the ground rods 1' below grade. 1716855568951.png 1716855633926.png

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
From the 2023 Dominion Energy Blue Book:

220.9 See Section 730 for the approved entry and exit knockouts on Company meter bases. No
holes shall be cut without securing Company approval. The existence of a knockout does
not necessarily mean it can be used. Meter enclosures must be mounted using the four pre-
installed holes.

230.9 All meter installations shall be arranged so that the center of the meter is not more than 6
feet or less than 4 feet above the final grade or the final grade of the traveled surface (See the
definition of “Clear Space”). A 5-foot mounting height is preferred.

TX+ MASTER#4544

Occupation
electrical Code instructor and mentor
Why don't you focus on actually answering the OP's question rather than blabbering on about a bunch of irrelevant stuff and getting a bunch of that stuff wrong?
Sounds like you're angry because I went into a through explanation about the subject matter.
As an educator it is my position to explain answers and not to simply glide over the answer with a " bunch of irrelevant stuff and getting a bunch of that stuff wrong".
Some questions require more than "just because" or "that's the way we do it". So, what kind of 'irrelevant stuff' was written that may have offended you or disagreed with you?
You certainly have the right to share a different version of it but back it up with NEC Code sections.
Most likely it'll mean that you will have to do a little research and maybe some" blabbering" to get your point across.

The easy way out is to just don't read any post that you think is totally irrelevant and has no sensible answer because of too much information.

TX+MASTER #4544
Thanks for reading.
Comments accepted.

Sounds like you're angry because I went into a through explanation about the subject matter.
As an educator it is my position to explain answers and not to simply glide over the answer with a " bunch of irrelevant stuff and getting a bunch of that stuff wrong".
Some questions require more than "just because" or "that's the way we do it". So, what kind of 'irrelevant stuff' was written that may have offended you or disagreed with you?
You certainly have the right to share a different version of it but back it up with NEC Code sections.
Most likely it'll mean that you will have to do a little research and maybe some" blabbering" to get your point across.

The easy way out is to just don't read any post that you think is totally irrelevant and has no sensible answer because of too much information.

TX+MASTER #4544
Thanks for reading.
Comments accepted.
I am not a moderator on this forum so it is note really my role to critique your posts, but since you asked: your posts are long winded and hard to read. The AI/chat GPT or whatever based responses are hard to read and obviously not always correct. I would suggest just answering the OP's question and not providing a whole bunch of information they didn't ask about. Yes you messed up SDS and non SDS and neutral switching in posts #4 and #12.