Best way to bond pool ladder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparkey1981

Occupation
Electrician
Looking for ideas on neat and clean ideas to bond this style pool ladder. The T that connects the handrails is plastic. So it makes it 6 pieces of stainless to bond.
The last few pools I have wired have all had plastic ladders these stairs look nice but are going to be a pain.
I know you guys are smart and will have and idea
Thanks in advance
00696F3F-42FB-4D99-9EE6-3420911C29FB.png

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I seriously wonder if it needs to be bonded. The water is bonded so the rails in the water would naturally be bonded also. IDK

I would call the manufacturer. It seems like they would have some bonding area if it needed to be bonded

Sparkey1981

Occupation
Electrician
I seriously wonder if it needs to be bonded. The water is bonded so the rails in the water would naturally be bonded also. IDK

I would call the manufacturer. It seems like they would have some bonding area if it needed to be bonded
I was wondering the same thing about the rails in the water but I dunno I will find the installation manual and give the manufacturer a buzz

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Do they have to be bonded? They don’t look like a permanent structure of the pool, nor do they penetrate the pool

nickelec

Tell the customer to get a different Ladder , if your worried about their safety it might not be such a bad Ides to mention

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Permanently installed ladders have a bonding lug in the receiver that’s embedded in the deck.

I would think if these are required to be bonded, it would have a lug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
Permanently installed ladders have a bonding lug in the receiver that’s embedded in the deck.

I would think if these are required to be bonded, it would have a lug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree.
Yes, typical inground pool ladders are fastened to a ladder socket that has a bond lug in place.

I'm pretty sure this manufacturer is on top of the bonding requirement and if this ladder needed bonding. it would have said so.
A call to the manufacturer is still a good idea though to be certain.

Sparkey1981

Occupation
Electrician
So I have reread 680 to refresh my brain
I see 680.26 B (7) All fixed metal parts shall be bonded.
Is this what everybody is saying that these stairs are not a fixed feature of an above ground pool?

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
Based on your re-read, I would guess because they are removable and they are not fixed, they do not need to be bonded.

Looking a closer at the photo, I see rails joining at the center uprights. Is that "coupling" plastic? So then I ask, if the rails are separate and they are to be bonded, one must bond all 6 separate pieces?

Sparkey1981

Occupation
Electrician
Based on your re-read, I would guess because they are removable and they are not fixed, they do not need to be bonded.

Looking a closer at the photo, I see rails joining at the center uprights. Is that "coupling" plastic? So then I ask, if the rails are separate and they are to be bonded, one must bond all 6 separate pieces?
The coupling is plastic that is the killer it makes it six pieces of metal

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is in the definitions at the beginning of art 680

Storable Swimming, Wading, or Immersion Pools; or Storable/
Portable Spas and Hot Tubs. Swimming, wading, or immersion
pools that are intended to be stored when not in use,
constructed on or above the ground and are capable of holding
water to a maximum depth of 1.0 m (42 in.), or a pool, spa,
or hot tub constructed on or above the ground, with nonmetallic,
molded polymeric walls or inflatable fabric walls regardless
of dimension.

Then go to part III and there is nothing about bonding

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
My curiosity killed me. I don't anything with above grounds but, I checked my supplier on above ground kits and standard/stock liners. The liners come 48" and 52" depths.
I will have to assume this pool is either one.

Status
Not open for further replies.