Big oops ... need suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwelectric

Re: Big oops ... need suggestions

In my post here I was asking a question about the last sentence of the definition of Premises Wiring (System) outlined by Al.
Such wiring does not include wiring internal to appliances, luminaires (fixtures), motors, controllers, motor control centers, and similar equipment.
As an instructor I would not want to give the wrong information to a student about this matter. There have been some good points brought forth by both sides of this debate but at the same time questions has arisen about just where is the outlet in this motor installation.
When I gave my answer, some were quick to respond with the question posted.

A little deliberation on this question would help me out of a bind as I cannot give a definitive answer.

E-mails are still coming in asking for an answer which I do not have.
Please help.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Mike,

I appreciate the quandary.

In my opinion, each is an outlet.

In my opinion, the Article 100 Definition of Premises Wiring (System) clearly states that the wiring internal to: </font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">the j-box on the side of the motor</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">the controller</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">the disconnect</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">are not part of the premises wiring. There is only one utilization equipment (UE), that being the motor. The motor, when operating, takes current, a current that exists at every point on the circuit that starts at the power supply, then passes through the service point into the Premises Wiring (System), then passes through the motor and returns to the power supply. This is ONE current, the current taken by the motor, the current supplying the UE.

At the points on the premises wiring that the wiring internal to motors and controllers are connected, the current that is taken is the only current in the circuit, that being, the current supplying the motor.

The current taken from the wiring system into the wiring internal to the controller and or motor, being the current supplying the motor, is exactly the Article 100 Definition of Outlet.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Al,
The current taken from the wiring system into the wiring internal to the controller and or motor, being the current supplying the motor, is exactly the Article 100 Definition of Outlet.
And this is where the code is not completely clear and we disagree. In my opinion, the outlet only exists at the point where the current goes to the equipment, not at the points where the current is controlled.
Don

al hildenbrand

Occupation

Charlie B.,

At the moment, I am reveling in the delicious irony that I am back to looking closely at the common single pole dimmer switch.

In the photo below, please observe a Lutron, 600 VA, solid state, incandescent only, rotary, dimmer switch. I took the back off and placed the knob inside the back. Note the discrete electronic components connected with wire. This assembly of multiple electronic components (visible, I hope. I can take additional photos.) exists to control the luminaire and by electronic purpose, change the lumen level delivered by the luminaire.
600WSPDimmer.jpg

Originally posted by Charlie B.:
I would not, by counter-example, lump a "switch" in with "wires," because it does not share that same purpose. The conductive materials within a switch perform the function of permitting or interrupting current flow. They are not there to bring current from a spot on one wall to a spot in the ceiling. Other things, namely "wiring," does that job. So the conductive materials within a switch are neither "wires" nor "wiring."
Given that the current supplying the luminaire comes into the internal wiring of the dimmer, this wiring then reconnects to the premises wiring at another point on the premises wiring. The switch connects between two different points on the premises wiring.

Can you show me in Code that one of those points must be on the wall and the other point must be on the ceiling?

al hildenbrand

Occupation

Originally posted by don_resqcapt19:
And this is where the code is not completely clear and we disagree. In my opinion, the outlet only exists at the point where the current goes to the equipment, not at the points where the current is controlled.
Don
I understand your point.

It is the very unclearness that, for me, proves my point.

If the Definition of Outlet specified the physical position of the utilization equipment in relation to the outlet, instead of talking only about the current taken to supply the utilization equipment, I would not be here in this discussion, for my points would be indefensible.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by jwelectric:Either the box on the motor is the outlet . . . (or) . . . the disconnect and controller are outlets. . . Give me some help here?
Based on the related question posted earlier in this thread, I would say that the box on the motor is the one and only outlet in this circuit. I would also say that there can be only one outlet for any given piece of utilization equipment. Let me take us back to this earlier post of mine:
Originally posted by charlie b: I submit that current can leave the wiring system, return to it, leave it again, and return to it again, as often as you like. You may think this a common thing, or you may think it rare . . . (but) . . . it may happen.
Speaking first about single (not multi-wire) branch circuits, I now submit that this circumstance is rare. In fact, I can't say that I've ever seen it. Here is what I mean:

For the sake of discussion, pretend for a moment (and let's disregard all notions of "electron drift") that the way current flows is that individual electrons move through a wire at the speed of light, and go around the complete path (source to load and back again) many, many times per second.

I submit that on any single round trip, a single electron can pass through only one outlet.

A branch circuit supplying, for example, receptacle outlets, can serve a dozen or more such receptacle outlets. Suppose there is a lamp plugged into each, and all are turned on. On one round trip, a single electron might go through the receptacle outlet serving "lamp #1," and on the next round trip it might go through the receptacle outlet serving "lamp #2." The lamps (and the outlets) are in parallel, and a single electron might go through any one of the outlets on any given round trip. However, one the electron goes through the outlet, then through the lamp, then back to that same outlet (now on the neutral), it will not pass through another outlet until after it has first returned to the source.

For a single branch circuit, the only circumstance that will allow a single electron to pass through two or more outlets on a single round trip would be if the two or more pieces of utilization equipment are in series with each other. That would give each piece of equipment less than the full rated voltage of the supply. That is why I would call this circumstance "rare."

Now let us turn to multi-wire branch circuits. Consider a 120/240V panel. Consider two breakers, two hot conductors, and one neutral conductor, leaving the panel together. Run this set of conductors through a number of receptacle outlets. Plug lamps into two outlets (from different phases), and turn them on. A single electron can leave the source via one breaker, go to one outlet, go through the lamp, return to the same outlet (i.e., is now back within the premises wiring system), follow the neutral wire to the nearest point at which the circuit neutrals are tied together, go "backwards" through that neutral wire to the other outlet, backwards through the other lamp, out the "hot conductor" serving the second lamp, back to the second outlet, and back to the source (going "backwards" through the second breaker). In this instance, the same electron passed through two outlets in a single round trip.

al hildenbrand

Occupation

I submit that on any single round trip, a single electron can pass through only one outlet.
An interesting mental exercise.

BUT, a single electron is not equal to current taken to supply utilization equipment. The current in a complete circuit is not a discrete packet, rather it is continuous and the same magnitude and direction at any point on the simple two wire circuit.

AND, again, the definition of Outlet talks only of current, not voltage drop, not power, not energy.

AND, the Code does not prohibit Outlets in series.

marc deschenes

Mike Holt was asked this question I apologise if it has already been posted I think it is worth reading again

"Q5. Is a switch in a bedroom for an outside light required to be AFCI protected?

A5. No. The requirement of 210.12(B) is that all 15 or 20A, 120V branch circuits that supply outlets in dwelling unit bedrooms must be protected by a listed AFCI device. However, the circuit conductors for a switch controlling a lighting outlet, that is not located in the bedroom, is not required to be AFCI protected.

Notice the words circuit conductors for a switch.

Does this help at all?
certainly the conductors inside the switch are a part of the circuit.

how about the the fact that the definition for
branch circuit general-purpose is that which supplies two or more recetacles or outlets for lighting and appliances .

There is no such thing as circuit suppling a switch because there is no outlet at a switch

al hildenbrand

Occupation

Originally posted by marc deschenes:
Notice the words circuit conductors for a switch.

Does this help at all?
certainly the conductors inside the switch are a part of the circuit.
This is what Charlie B. and I are bantering about. Are the conductors inside the switch "wiring"?

marc deschenes

I hope we all agree that the conductors in the switch are part of the circuit.

If by definition it is not considered a circuit to wire just switches then I don't see how a switch is an outlet.

It says two or more recetacles or outlets for lighting
which are both clearly defined .

If we don't have a circuit how do we have an outlet?

If you say the first (meaning switch ) is reliant on the second ,(meaning that point witch current is taken to supply the utilization equipment) then the first is not an outlet. It is a path on which current flows .

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

Al, I'd be glad to respond to your comments about the dimmer switch with its internal electronics. But not until we are done "bantering" (I like that choice of words) about the single pole, single throw, no-frills, on/off switch that is located on a bedroom wall and that operates a light in another room. You don't get to change (or divert) the subject until you either (1) Agree that nothing about it or near it is an outlet, or (2) Declare that you will never agree to that statement.

al hildenbrand

Occupation

What? I don't get to switch the discussion to what you are talking about?

Well then, I see no outlet from continuing. . . .

:D

al hildenbrand

Occupation

Originally posted by al hildenbrand:
Charlie B.,
I would not, by counter-example, lump a "switch" in with "wires," because it does not share that same purpose. The conductive materials within a switch perform the function of permitting or interrupting current flow. They are not there to bring current from a spot on one wall to a spot in the ceiling. Other things, namely "wiring," does that job. So the conductive materials within a switch are neither "wires" nor "wiring."
Given that the current supplying the luminaire comes into the internal wiring of the switch, this wiring then reconnects to the premises wiring at another point on the premises wiring. The switch connects between two different points on the premises wiring.

Can you show me in Code that one of those points must be on the wall and the other point must be on the ceiling?
Edit "dimmer" to "switch" - Al

marc deschenes

Al, please respond to my question as to wether or not in your opinion, Two or more switches connected to conductors connected to an over current device consitutes a general purpose branch circuit or any other type for that matter.

jwelectric

Originally posted by marc deschenes:
Al, please respond to my question as to wether or not in your opinion, Two or more switches connected to conductors connected to an over current device consitutes a general purpose branch circuit or any other type for that matter.
I will step to the plate for Al and answer this question,

Branch Circuit, General-Purpose. A branch circuit that supplies two or more receptacles or outlets for lighting and appliances.
Branch Circuit, Individual. A branch circuit that supplies only one utilization equipment.
The reference you have made to a general purpose circuit is that it hits more than one outlet. If it hit only one then it would be an individual circuit.
Neither definition has anything at all to do with a switch being an outlet.
:)

[ October 26, 2005, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: jwelectric ]

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

Originally posted by al hildenbrand: What? I don't get to switch the discussion to what you are talking about?
Well then, I see no outlet from continuing. . . .
I don't mean to snap at you. But wire you giving me a hard time? If you continuous along your current path, I'll not have the power to stop you, but you'll be out of controller before the next electron. You'll be taken out back and get the end of a whip, though I'm sure you will snap back. I don't agree with your point. But I premise not to be more receptacle of other people's opinions, even if they're dimmer than mine. :D

al hildenbrand

Occupation

Larry, Larry, Larry,

As paradoxical as this must sound, in this thread, I have never put forth the claim that "a switch is an outlet."

It's true.

Honest.

al hildenbrand

Occupation

Charlie B.,

Wow! That was worthy of the FireSign Theater itself!!

Hoowweeee.

I am not worthy!

:D

[ October 26, 2005, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: al hildenbrand ]

Status
Not open for further replies.