Bonding gas pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

elohr46

This is normally true for the black pipe but with CSST the manufacturer requires more than 250.122 and it must be installed to 250.66 by someone. The argument is who is responsible to bond it not whether it is necessary or not. The NEC does not require it but the manufacturer does so it must be done.

The bottom line is the EC is required by NEC to bond gas piping per 250.104(B) whether its 100' of black iron or 10' of black iron with CSST extended from it. The EC bears no further responsibility at that point and any other additional requirements needed by manufacture specs will be handled by "others".

electricmanscott

Thanks Don, that was my point. This is not an NEC requirement therefore it should have nothing to do with the electrician. If someone wants to pay to have it installed by the EC that's fine but expecting the EC to assume the burden of installing bonding jumpers required by the plumbing manufacturer isn't part of the scope of the electrical code and isn't fair to the EC. I would be highly annoyed if the EI failed a job for not having a bonding jumper that is part of the plumbers work. If this does become part of the NEC then I will gladly change my opinion. :grin:

I think it has everything to do with an electrician. Who else would it fall to? I also agree that the EC should not be failed for not bonding flex gas pipe at this time as it is not required by "our code".

As an electrician we should be looking for things that might fall under the umbrella of our trade. That was my point when I mentioned the boiler. The NEC does not require me to wire a boiler but if I bid a job where one is being installed it is most likely that I will have to wire it and I am going to figure it into the cost. Bonding flex gas pipe is one of those things. If I know it is being installed and I know it has to be bonded and that bond is running into that service I am installing I am going to figure that in.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think it has everything to do with an electrician. Who else would it fall to? I also agree that the EC should not be failed for not bonding flex gas pipe at this time as it is not required by "our code".
It falls to the contractor who installed the CSST unless the job specs say otherwise.

As an electrician we should be looking for things that might fall under the umbrella of our trade. That was my point when I mentioned the boiler. The NEC does not require me to wire a boiler but if I bid a job where one is being installed it is most likely that I will have to wire it and I am going to figure it into the cost. Bonding flex gas pipe is one of those things. If I know it is being installed and I know it has to be bonded and that bond is running into that service I am installing I am going to figure that in.
That may be fine on a T&M job, but adding in things that are not required by the electrical bid specs or the electrical codes will not help you in winning the bid. As far as the boiler you have to check the specs on that too. I have done jobs where that part of the project was in the heating contractors scope of work, not the electrical contractors. Yes we did the work, but under a contract for the heating contractor, not the main electrical contract.

electricmanscott

It falls to the contractor who installed the CSST unless the job specs say otherwise.

That may be fine on a T&M job, but adding in things that are not required by the electrical bid specs or the electrical codes will not help you in winning the bid. As far as the boiler you have to check the specs on that too. I have done jobs where that part of the project was in the heating contractors scope of work, not the electrical contractors. Yes we did the work, but under a contract for the heating contractor, not the main electrical contract.

All that is true but there are many times when there are no specs. Most of the work I do is in that category. I still think it is up to us as pros to look for things that may fall under our area of expertise and bring them to the attention of the proper people.

hurk27

Our state is including this in it's "2008" amendments, of requiring to bond around any length of CSST type gas piping, mainly equipment and appliances that have metal flues that penetrate or rise above the roof line, this was because of the gas fueled fires that have been caused by lightning strikes to these flues/chimneys causing the CSST to blow apart, as just bonding to the nearest gas line would not prevent this, it has to be bonded around it to the appliance or equipment, like a gas fire place.

My response to one GC was if these plumbers want to cut cost on there installation, then they can bear the burden of the extra cost of the bonding around the CSST. after a few found out they will be paying for these bonds, they went back to using black pipe.:rolleyes:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I wonder if the bonding really solves the problem this product has with lightning? I don't see how bonding it would prevent the lightning from causing damage to this product.

Status
Not open for further replies.