Brain dead, more than usual

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I found an alarm system transformer in a friends attic. 120V to 12 or 24V. Fed with 2 #10 Thhn's coming out of the mounting holes of a hall light 1900 box. Splices at the tranny are black tape joints. (110.14(B)). I have looked through 110 and 300 and can't find where Thhn is required to be in conduit, just to be clear, this is the 120V primary side. Also didn't think you could have this tranny in an attic. 450...???

Make me look stupid please.

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I found an alarm system transformer in a friends attic. 120V to 12 or 24V. Fed with 2 #10 Thhn's coming out of the mounting holes of a hall light 1900 box. Splices at the tranny are black tape joints. (110.14(B)). I have looked through 110 and 300 and can't find where Thhn is required to be in conduit, just to be clear, this is the 120V primary side. Also didn't think you could have this tranny in an attic. 450...???

Make me look stupid please.

Thanks

Chris , are you talking about 300.15 2nd paragraph. Also most doorbell type tranies state not to install them in attic but it is not a NEC issue that I know of. There may be something in relation to alarms. I have installed tranies in attics for doorbells many times in the past but prefer not to now.

chris kennedy

Occupation
Chris , are you talking about 300.15 2nd paragraph.

Thats a good one, didn't catch that. But that goes along with the 110.14(B) violation. Thanks.

Where does the NEC require Thhn to be installed in conduit or tubing? Still looking and its driving me nuts!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Thats a good one, didn't catch that. But that goes along with the 110.14(B) violation. Thanks.

Where does the NEC require Thhn to be installed in conduit or tubing? Still looking and its driving me nuts!

I believe it can be installed without a raceway if it falls under 394.10. Still looking for what you are really looking for.

rcarroll

From the handbook, 300.3(A) clearly states that wire such as THHN, is prohibited from use outside recognized wiring methods. The exception, individual overhead spans & festoon lighting.

I hope this helps.

chris kennedy

Occupation
Chris would 300.3(B) be the answer?

I like it.

How about 300.3(A)& (B)

I like it.

From the handbook, 300.3(A) clearly states that wire such as THHN, is prohibited from use outside recognized wiring methods. The exception, individual overhead spans & festoon lighting.

I hope this helps.

I like this even better.

From the 08 NECHB.

Section 300.3(A) clearly states that building wire, such as individual insulated conductors identified as THHN, is prohibited from use outside of recognized wiring methods. The exception points out two long-time permissions: first, allowing individual conductors as overhead spans and, second, allowing individual conductors as festoon lighting.
Thanks all. Now working on reading comprehension skills.

cadpoint

I hope this helps.

I had to wait to becuse I didn't note the handbook stated which doesn't exactly say that if you read the CODE BOOK, verses the Handbook.
I don't have the Handbook!

can't find where Thhn is required to be in conduit, just to be clear, this is the 120V primary side. Also didn't think you could have this tranny in an attic. 450...???

Od to selective reading...

cadpoint

Come on Chris !!!

I look at my job as to protect the wire, maybe that was the stumper ?

I know you got some romex or a piece of MC to take care of this, in that Sprinter..! :grin:

chris kennedy

Occupation
I know you got some romex or a piece of MC to take care of this, in that Sprinter..! :grin:

I'm going to fix this, just awaiting a call from the alarm contractor and want to baffle them with NEC articles. Great fun.

BTW, Bob, your edit gave me a great laugh after a trying day. Thanks.:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.