Building Official Overreach

mhanson

Occupation
General Journeyman Electrician
Just looking for your thoughts on an Over Zellous Building Inspector.
Background: Just completed a Small Residential Service upgrade which included adding several new circuits to Bedrooms, Kitchen, Bath, Garage, etc... all new wiring meeting currents 2020 NEC code standards. during the project we decided with the homeowner, to replace the few remaining Knob and Tube circuits with modern Romex type wiring, this would eliminate all of the old Knob and Tube wiring.
When Inspector arrived for Final Inspection, He stated that since we rewired the entire home, we will need to make current the entire home, keep in mind this is NOT a home remodel and plaster walls are still intact, no added/removed walls etc... asking us to add several wall receptacles to meet the 6', 12' spacing rules.
Homeowner is quite upset as this will add several thousand dollars to her project, and I believe the inspector is over stepping.
appreciate your thoughts,
Thank You

Building Official is citing the following code sections:

California Electric Code 89.101.3:

The provisions of this code shall apply to the construction, alteration, movement, enlargement, replacement, repair of equipment, use and occupancy, location, maintenance, removal, and demolition of every building or structure or any appurtenances connected or attached to such buildings or structures throughout the State of California.

California Existing Building Code section 503.1

Alterations to any building or structure shall comply with the requirements of the California Building Code or California Residential Code, as applicable, for new construction. Alterations shall be such that the existing building or structure is not less complying with the provisions of the California Building Code or California Residential Code, as applicable than the existing building or structure was prior to the alteration.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Since you rewired the dwelling 99% of the building departments I have worked with would rewire the electrical to meet current code requirements. If you had just added a few receptacles and circuits they would not require the existing wiring be brought up to current code.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Since you rewired the dwelling 99% of the building departments I have worked with would rewire the electrical to meet current code requirements. If you had just added a few receptacles and circuits they would not require the existing wiring be brought up to current code.
Really? I don't see any language in the NEC or the IEBC that would say "if you rewire 80% of the building to current requirements, you must rewire the remaining 20% as well." For a rewire-only project where you are not otherwise modifying spaces.

Cheers, Wayne

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Just looking for your thoughts on an Over Zellous Building Inspector.
Background: Just completed a Small Residential Service upgrade which included adding several new circuits to Bedrooms, Kitchen, Bath, Garage, etc... all new wiring meeting currents 2020 NEC code standards. during the project we decided with the homeowner, to replace the few remaining Knob and Tube circuits with modern Romex type wiring, this would eliminate all of the old Knob and Tube wiring.
When Inspector arrived for Final Inspection, He stated that since we rewired the entire home, we will need to make current the entire home, keep in mind this is NOT a home remodel and plaster walls are still intact, no added/removed walls etc... asking us to add several wall receptacles to meet the 6', 12' spacing rules.
Homeowner is quite upset as this will add several thousand dollars to her project, and I believe the inspector is over stepping.
appreciate your thoughts,
Thank You

Building Official is citing the following code sections:

The provisions of this code shall apply to the construction, alteration, movement, enlargement, replacement, repair of equipment, use and occupancy, location, maintenance, removal, and demolition of every building or structure or any appurtenances connected or attached to such buildings or structures throughout the State of California.

California Existing Building Code section 503.1

Alterations to any building or structure shall comply with the requirements of the California Building Code or California Residential Code, as applicable, for new construction. Alterations shall be such that the existing building or structure is not less complying with the provisions of the California Building Code or California Residential Code, as applicable than the existing building or structure was prior to the alteration.
I have mixed feelings here. I have made the phone call to get a ruling BEFORE I embarked on a repair or alteration before to get the ruling on what will be required up front. I would expect they my want an upgrade especially GFI's grounding etc. on the circuits and outlets I touched. However, 503.1 seems to sys specifically that you DON'T have to upgrade the entire house to current code. "Alterations shall be such that the existing building or structure is not less complying..."

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Really? I don't see any language in the NEC or the IEBC that would say "if you rewire 80% of the building to current requirements, you must rewire the remaining 20% as well." For a rewire-only project where you are not otherwise modifying spaces.

Cheers, Wayne
Its not NEC but local jurisdictions. Some of them will require the entire kitchen electrical to be brought up to current code if you just replace the countertops.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Its not NEC but local jurisdictions. Some of them will require the entire kitchen electrical to be brought up to current code if you just replace the countertops.
CRC R105.2 exempts countertops from requiring a permit, so such a requirement is both ridiculous and unenforceable.

Cheers, Wayne

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
during the project we decided with the homeowner, to replace the few remaining Knob and Tube circuits with modern Romex type wiring, this would eliminate all of the old Knob and Tube wiring.
When Inspector arrived for Final Inspection, He stated that since we rewired the entire home
When the scope changes from a panel change with new circuits to a panel change with an entire re-wire is when you need to bring the entire house up to current code, at least as I understand it.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Cheers, Wayne
That type of rule is not in the NEC, but it is a common type of rule adopted by local building departments. Our local rule is if you replace 50% of the wring in a building, all of the wring in the building must be brought up to the current code.
However, I am not seeing such a rule in the rules that have been posted in this thread.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
That type of rule is not in the NEC, but it is a common type of rule adopted by local building departments. Our local rule is if you replace 50% of the wring in a building, all of the wring in the building must be brought up to the current code.
However, I am not seeing such a rule in the rules that have been posted in this thread.
I think you hit the nail on the head with this comment, "rule adopted by local building dept."
The next question is "Was it formally adopted and codified?" or is it just a because I said so.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
This is when you break it down into separate permits spaced out lol. The Cool retired inspector around here said you have to wait 6 month between permits not to trigger some items, such as the one you are dealing with.
IF you have not added them yet don't lol and just wait.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
CRC R105.2 exempts countertops from requiring a permit, so such a requirement is both ridiculous and unenforceable.
Very interesting.

In Buena Park California AHJ requires current code compliance in any room with a new sink.

ramsy

Occupation

CEC chapter 89 is amended out by most AHJ jurisdictions in my area, due to the permit exemptions in CEC §89.108.4

ramsy

Occupation
Since parts of the residential code & NFPA-70 are rival codes, are both alway adopted by local jurisdictions, or is this only found where specifically amended in?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Since parts of the residential code & NFPA-70 are rival codes
California, like some jurisdictions, only adopts the "building" portion of the IRC, but that includes R105.2. I didn't compare CRC R105.2 to IRC R105.2, so I don't know if California amended it.

Cheers, Wayne

ramsy

Occupation
California, like some jurisdictions, only adopts the "building" portion of the IRC, but that includes R105.2. I didn't compare CRC R105.2 to IRC R105.2, so I don't know if California amended it.

Cheers, Wayne
Ok, I see. However, since R105.2 lists exemptions to permits, it may also be subject to AHJ scrutiny or removal.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Ok, I see. However, since R105.2 lists exemptions to permits, it may also be subject to AHJ scrutiny or removal.
In California, not at the local level, unless a local jurisdiction has a "geographic, climactic, or geologic" justification for an amendment, which it passes as an ordinance and properly files with the state. You can look up your local jurisdiction's amendments here:

Cheers, Wayne

BarryO

Occupation
Electrical engineer (retired)
Alterations shall be such that the existing building or structure is not less complying with the provisions of the California Building Code or California Residential Code, as applicable than the existing building or structure was prior to the alteration.
IMO what you've done complies with this. Removing the K&T certainly does not make it less compliant.