Burrito Q: Fastening of EMT

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Burrito Q: Fastening of EMT

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SAC

How can one comply with the support requirement in "358.30(B)" if the EMT is not run through framing members? It would seem to me that if "358.30(A)" AND "358.30(B)" must be met, and "358.30(A)" is just about "securing" and "358.30(B)" is just about "support", then the only "permitted" support is through framing members and no other installation would be allowed by code (unless "short" accordance with "358.30(C)")? I'm usually a "letter of the code" kind of guy, but I'm inclined to think that there is something more going on here than exactly what the words would seem to say. I tend to agree that "358.30(B)" is most likely intended as an exception to the securing requirements of "358.30(A)". I also think that this thread alone would be ample justification for having clarifying modifications to be made to the code, regardless of the intent.

Last edited:

Jim W in Tampa

How can one comply with the support requirement in "358.30(B)" if the EMT is not run through framing members? It would seem to me that if "358.30(A)" AND "358.30(B)" must be met, and "358.30(A)" is just about "securing" and "358.30(B)" is just about "support", then the only "permitted" support is through framing members and no other installation would be allowed by code (unless "short" accordance with "358.30(C)")? I'm usually a "letter of the code" kind of guy, but I'm inclined to think that there is something more going on here than exactly what the words would seem to say. I tend to agree that "358.30(B)" is most likely intended as an exception to the securing requirements of "358.30(A)". I also think that this thread alone would be ample justification for having clarifying modifications to be made to the code, regardless of the intent.

Any time NEC has an exception it starts with the word EXCEPTION we do not see that here.

Do agree they need to take a look at this as we not only have a 60 /40 vote but both sides are holding tight. Time to reword it either way but does need fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.