Ceiling fan remote control

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Hello. On amazon I have found a handful of ceiling fan remote kits. Only one has UL listing on the receiving unit. Does NEC require a listing on fan remote receivers? I would think the a listing would not be required on the hand held remote (because its battery powered). TIA

kwired

Electron manager
Probably is required. Probably not going to be noticed in most cases either. Use that information however you wish.

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Probably is required. Probably not going to be noticed in most cases either. Use that information however you wish.

I was thinking the same thing but the ones that are sold at home Depot in Lowe's don't appear to be listed either. I would think that home Depot and Lowe's would not be doing anything that would create any sort of liability.

kwired

Electron manager
I was thinking the same thing but the ones that are sold at home Depot in Lowe's don't appear to be listed either. I would think that home Depot and Lowe's would not be doing anything that would create any sort of liability.
I bet you can find plenty of non listed items at either.

Amazon and a few other on line stores are worse though.

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I bet you can find plenty of non listed items at either.

Amazon and a few other on line stores are worse though.

I guess my rule of thumb is going to be if I buy it at home Depot or Lowe's and something goes sideways I'll point fingers in their direction. If I bite off of Amazon or anywhere else offline I'm going to make darn sure that receiving unit is listed.

I would very much like to know the specific code on this.

kwired

Electron manager
Well there is 410.6 that requires Luminaires lamp holders and retrofit kits to be listed. I don't see that applying to said ceiling fan remote control kit though.

Next best place I can think of to look for such requirement would probably be art 422. 422.6 would require appliances to be listed. But this is a component, or add on component. Possibly should at least be a recognized component?

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Well there is 410.6 that requires Luminaires lamp holders and retrofit kits to be listed. I don't see that applying to said ceiling fan remote control kit though.

Next best place I can think of to look for such requirement would probably be art 422. 422.6 would require appliances to be listed. But this is a component, or add on component. Possibly should at least be a recognized component?

If there's no where a national electrical code that states that it has to be listed (UL, ETL,...etc...), then I guess I'm good.

But I would venture to think that if being listed is required for the remote receiving units, that home Depot and Lowe's would not risk that kind of liability by not having listed components. So I'm thinking if they're not listed straight from home Depot or Lowe's, more than likely they're not required to be listed. But I would still like to see that in writing

I know that the aftermarket three-speed motor switches that you can get off of Amazon are UR (underwriters laboratories recognized). But they would have to be at least UR listed to keep their UL listing.

I do know that all my devices (switches and receptacles) that I keep on my van or either ETL or UL listed. Not saying whether or not they're required by any sea or not required by NEC, but it's good to know that they're listed.

I was also goofing around in my inventory and I found out that The doorbell transformers are either ETL or UL listed. Not stating that these have to be listed either, but it's good to know that they are.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Only one has UL listing on the receiving unit.
UL category Fan-Speed Controls (GQHG) explains UL standard testing requirements for hard-wired receiver units.

If UL listed hard-wired receiver is packaged in a kit with transmitter remote, that kit is likely insured for product liability.

Regarding local stores selling hard-wired receiver kits sourced from China, or missing UL markings, the practice may favor a cost-benefit analysis. Corporate America pioneered legislation lobbying to de-fund, then exploit unenforceable regulations.

Since paddle-fan hard wiring is more likely missing fire boxes, in combustible ceiling materials, and over fused by 20A breakers on 15A cables, much less secured by fan-rated supports, the low risk of Fire Marshals noticing spontaneous combustion of hardwired receiver units, may justify extra-ordinary profits from the exploit of unlisted parts.

Ceiling fan remote controls are sold by the millions, and a few regulatory fines are often considered a cost of doing business.

Finding listed parts in the US may become more difficult for installers to find. Especially if they can be legislated to take the blame in liability law suits.

Last edited:

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor
UL category Fan-Speed Controls (GQHG) explains UL standard testing requirements for hard-wired receiver units.

If UL listed hard-wired receiver is packaged in a kit with transmitter remote, that kit is likely insured for product liability.

Regarding local stores selling hard-wired receiver kits sourced from China, or missing UL markings, the practice may favor a cost-benefit analysis. Corporate America pioneered legislation lobbying to de-fund, then exploit unenforceable regulations.

Since paddle-fan hard wiring is more likely missing fire boxes, in combustible ceiling materials, and over fused by 20A breakers on 15A cables, much less secured by fan-rated supports, the low risk of Fire Marshals noticing spontaneous combustion of hardwired receiver units, may justify extra-ordinary profits from the exploit of unlisted parts.

Ceiling fan remote controls are sold by the millions, and a few regulatory fines are often considered a cost of doing business.

Finding listed parts in the US may become more difficult for installers to find. Especially if they can be legislated to take the blame in liability law suits.

It seems like I, as the installer / end user, would be liable.

If home Depot and Lowe's are selling unlisted receiving units with their fan remote kits, I must be missing something. Even though I'm pretty sure I would be liable if anything went sideways, I still don't think home Depot or Lowe's would a risk being liable.

Remote receiving units are usually contained between the fan canopy/dust cover and the junction box. So, I'm thinking if anything burned up, it would be inside the canopy and the junction box. I would also think that the material that the receiving unit is made of is fire retardant. Worst case scenario probably make your house smell bad. Just the same, with the multitude of receiving units that I've pulled, I've yet to see one that has melted, much less, caught on fire.

I wish I could find something in writing.

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor
The hard-wired receiver images show FCC labels, but no NRTL.

Want in one hand, profit in the other, and see which fills up the fastest.

If home Depot and Lowe's are selling these with no listing printed on the receiving unit, something tells me that it might be very possible that the receiving units don't require NTRL listing. Even though some of the receivers I've seen do have the listing.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
receiving units don't require NTRL listing.
See first sentence in post #8

A 2016 PDF copy of the UL White book is available in the public domain.

More current copy is found at UL Product IQ

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor

"UL category Fan-Speed Controls (GQHG) explains UL standard testing requirements for hard-wired receiver units."

Thought that meant that receiving units were required to be listed.

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor

My bad. You posted something that I stated. I don't believe I stated that. That might be part of a sentence that I stated.

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor

I'm not doubting you. I just don't see home Depot or Lowe's risking that kind of liability. I wrote my local inspector. I'm going to see what he has to say.

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I think your right.

I know I sound like a broken record. It's just that I don't understand why home Depot and Lowe's wouldn't have listings on there exclusive brands. Those stores are both reputable stores. Something's up.

One thing I do know that if something goes sideways and there's a lawsuit, The plaintiffs attorneys are going after the deepest pockets.....