Ceiling fan remote control

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor
404.1 says art 404 would cover it.

I still think if it came as part of a fan unit, it would be covered by listing of the complete unit. Stand alone/add on control unit likely should need to be listed though.

I go to Dan's electronics online. Most of their stuff is UL list I found a couple of things that are not. Maybe it's actually in Boston on the unit and it's not a good visual online on the pictures.

I've got a Hampton Bay (home Depot) being delivered today. I'm never ever looked to notice if it was UL listed or not. I never even thought about it honestly (until now). I will give it a better look when I have it in my hand. Because online I don't see any listing sticker. It might be embossed.

I'm not a huge advocate of aftermarket fan remotes. The only time I use any fan remote out in the field is to replace one that's no longer working.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
We both know darn good and well No installers want to call inspection to install a switch...

Even if the inspector did inspect the switch what's he going to do,
Roger that.

Even less likely, are 110.3(C) NRTL field evaluations, paid by Installer/Home Owner.

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor
The more I think about it just seems to me like this would be all but not enforced (under these circumstances). I'm thinking worst case scenario with a receiving unit it was it would just stop working.

ramsy

Occupation
404.14 of the 2020 NEC requires electronic control switches (and dimmers) to be listed.
UL 1472 Solid-State Dimming Controls, was just added to 2023 NEC Appendix A, in reference to section 404, removing all doubt of listing requirements for non-incandescent dimmers, or similar hard-wired remote receiver units.

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor
UL 1472 Solid-State Dimming Controls, was just added to 2023 NEC Appendix A, in reference to section 404, removing all doubt of listing requirements for non-incandescent dimmers, or similar hard-wired remote receiver units.

In Florida we are going on 2020 NEC.

Would you do me a huge favor if possible and copy paste that to this thread?

ramsy

Occupation
Would you do me a huge favor if possible and copy paste that to this thread?
Using NFPA Link. That request is made on this form:
All materials on NFPA’s websites are the property of NFPA and may not be copied, reproduced, sold, or distributed without the express permission of the copyright holder.

Last edited:

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Using NFPA Link. That request is made on this form:

As of late the NFPA has lost the fair use copyright battle in court, its fair use to share the code when its adopted as law.
They are spending millions trying to reverse that, which they pass on to us as the cost of the book LOL.

kwired

Electron manager
As of late the NFPA has lost the fair use copyright battle in court, its fair use to share the code when its adopted as law.
They are spending millions trying to reverse that, which they pass on to us as the cost of the book LOL.
Still have blocked the "easy methods" of copying and pasting most their web content or even when they still had NEC on CD's they wouldn't let you copy content in the most easy ways of doing so.

Regardless of the copyright situation should be nothing wrong with taking screen shots or using snip and sketch or similar apps to make your own snippets of info as long as you aren't distributing this to others.

At same time how often does someone post code sections word for word on sites like this, that gets into questionable use to some degree as well. But at same time NFPA would encourage us to have most the discussions this happens with - they can't have it both ways.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Still have blocked the "easy methods" of copying and pasting most their web content or even when they still had NEC on CD's they wouldn't let you copy content in the most easy ways of doing so.

Regardless of the copyright situation should be nothing wrong with taking screen shots or using snip and sketch or similar apps to make your own snippets of info as long as you aren't distributing this to others.

At same time how often does someone post code sections word for word on sites like this, that gets into questionable use to some degree as well. But at same time NFPA would encourage us to have most the discussions this happens with - they can't have it both ways.
The codes affected by the lawsuit, including the NEC, where the judge ruled "as it is the right of all humans to know and speak the laws that govern them" can be found for free here:

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Hello everyone. I got the Hampton Bay (home Depot brand) ceiling fan remote kit in the mail today. Looked on the back of it and it said plain as day that it's UL listed. Beautiful...

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
This is great to know ... If you ask any ...... question, you will have the "World" at your disposal, ready to reply. This is one great resource !

ramsy

Occupation
That is good to know, although copied tables tend to get scrambled, and I don't wish the raw text of NFPA-70 on my worst enemy.

For the uninitiated, the text can be gibberish without some kind of Mike Holt illustrations, NFPA link "Enhanced Content," with hand book examples, or both. These supplemental efforts deserve some gratitude for saving tremendous frustration, for a token profit that is earned, and deserved.

At IAEI meetings the combo inspectors complain NFPA-70 is not structured like other building codes, making it ridiculous to understand, and end up inspecting solely by listing requirements. That strategy works, since unlisted equipment, and poor workmanship, is typical with unqualified persons.

Reading plain text has resulted in few AHJ's agreeing on interpretation of NFPA-70, adopted by most states as the National Electrical Code (NEC). Proper application of this text requires mastery of "key phrases" not indexed like "key words", with those phrases in different chapters without reference to each other.

Further, anyone working thru NEC chapter 220 load calculation tables, who manages to match values shown in Annex D example D3(a), can’t get anyone else to understand how they did it. A universal Exception “under engineering supervision”, allows IEEE standard formulas, preferred by architects, planning departments, and engineers, while utilities prefer a different scheme to size services with the NESC.

NFPA has replaced standard formulas with proprietary idiot tables. The tables are inherently error prone, with ampacity adjustment,
and corrections, routinely miss-applied to motors, and =>75C temperature columns, exceeding temperature of several wiring methods listed in chapter 3. The fine print table notes are either ignored, or the chapter scope warning about motors is not read, much less understood for handling other loads in table 240.4(G).

Declaring this code is “not intended as an instruction guide”, is an understated warning to aspiring trade professionals without supplemental examples, reference to National Electrical Contractors Association (NECA) standard guides, or illustrations that Mike Holt publishes.

With just the text of NFPA-70, municipal inspectors should be expected to continue disagreeing with each other, and remain infamous for interpretive improvisations, making up their own rules when listing requirements can't solve the question.