Ceiling fan remote control

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor
UL category Fan-Speed Controls (GQHG) explains UL standard testing requirements for hard-wired receiver units.

If UL listed hard-wired receiver is packaged in a kit with transmitter remote, that kit is likely insured for product liability.

Regarding local stores selling hard-wired receiver kits sourced from China, or missing UL markings, the practice may favor a cost-benefit analysis. Corporate America pioneered legislation lobbying to de-fund, then exploit unenforceable regulations.

Since paddle-fan hard wiring is more likely missing fire boxes, in combustible ceiling materials, and over fused by 20A breakers on 15A cables, much less secured by fan-rated supports, the low risk of Fire Marshals noticing spontaneous combustion of hardwired receiver units, may justify extra-ordinary profits from the exploit of unlisted parts.

Ceiling fan remote controls are sold by the millions, and a few regulatory fines are often considered a cost of doing business.

Finding listed parts in the US may become more difficult for installers to find. Especially if they can be legislated to take the blame in liability law suits.

I have seen that some of the receiving units are listed and some are not. At least I don't see any ETL, UL, or UR mark on some of the receivers. So some of the receivers are actually listed. That's a good thing. What I'd like to know is, are they required to be listed in a residential setting?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have seen that some of the receiving units are listed and some are not. At least I don't see any ETL, UL, or UR mark on some of the receivers. So some of the receivers are actually listed. That's a good thing. What I'd like to know is, are they required to be listed in a residential setting?
Not directly by the NEC.
BTW, I don't think the inspector knows what 110.3(B) is saying

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Not directly by the NEC.
BTW, I don't think the inspector knows what 110.3(B) is saying

My jurisdiction is going strictly by 2020 national electrical code. We are 3 years behind.

If national electrical code does not specifically require receiving units to be UL listed, then I'm good. Like I stated before, if they're UL or ETL listed, that's awesome. But if they're not and they're not required by 2020 NEC........

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor
My jurisdiction is going strictly by 2020 national electrical code. We are 3 years behind.

If national electrical code does not specifically require receiving units to be UL listed, then I'm good. Like I stated before, if they're UL or ETL listed, that's awesome. But if they're not and they're not required by 2020 NEC........

I've always been fully well aware that luminaries in any plug-in utilization equipment has been required to be listed. I'm also well aware that anything that plugs into a receptacle is required to have some sort of listing. I just never gave much thought to whether or not a receiving unit was required to be listing. Like I stated before, it's actually required to be listed and it's listed that's all good. If it's not listed, that's okay also...

As long as I'm not violating code.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I've always been fully well aware that luminaries in any plug-in utilization equipment has been required to be listed. I'm also well aware that anything that plugs into a receptacle is required to have some sort of listing. I just never gave much thought to whether or not a receiving unit was required to be listing. Like I stated before, it's actually required to be listed and it's listed that's all good. If it's not listed, that's okay also...

As long as I'm not violating code.
You're not violating an NEC requirement so rest easy as far as that is concerned, If Fl or some local code requires it that's a different situation but they should make it public and formal.

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor
You're not violating an NEC requirement so rest easy as far as that is concerned, If Fl or some local code requires it that's a different situation but they should make it public and formal.

As long as I'm not violating any local or national codes, I'm not sweating anything.

Crash117

Occupation
C-2 electrical contractor/owner operator
As long as I'm not violating any local or national codes, I'm not sweating anything.
One thing to consider is that a fan or light that sells as a package unit maybe not have individual listing on the parts inside the package but may be listed as an entire assembly. However, if you’re using just a remote/receiver that’s distributed individually it should carry a listing by itself.

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor
One thing to consider is that a fan or light that sells as a package unit maybe not have individual listing on the parts inside the package but may be listed as an entire assembly. However, if you’re using just a remote/receiver that’s distributed individually it should carry a listing by itself.

Come do some don't. At least online and on Amazon. I've got one coming in the mail from home Depot and as per the pictures on home Depot brand (Hampton Bay) there's no listing.

I'm thinking if a major store like home Depot doesn't have a listing on one of their electrical products it probably doesn't need it. I wouldn't think that they would take that kind of liability. Because of something went sideways in a catastrophic way, the people suing / plaintiffs are going to go for the entity with the deepest pockets. And I don't have to explain that home Depot has way deeper pockets than my one man business does.

kwired

Electron manager
"UL category Fan-Speed Controls (GQHG) explains UL standard testing requirements for hard-wired receiver units."

Thought that meant that receiving units were required to be listed.
Just because there is a listing/listing standard for an item doesn't necessarily mean NEC or other codes requires that item to be listed though.

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Just because there is a listing/listing standard for an item doesn't necessarily mean NEC or other codes requires that item to be listed though.

Long as I'm not violating any national or local codes, I'm not sweating..

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Long as I'm not violating any national or local codes, I'm not sweating..
NEC 90.7 requires listed equipment, if installation is not inspected.

That is the legislation, which shifts blame on the installer, so profiteers may pursue business as usual.

Last edited:

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor

That is the legislation, which shifts blame on the installer, so profiteers may pursue business as usual.

We both know darn good and well No installers want to call inspection to install a switch...

Even if the inspector did inspect the switch what's he going to do, just look at it and make sure the wires are connected right?

This wouldn't be an inspection, this would equate to "babysitting".

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor

I just read this art. "Thick wording" much???!!!

kwired

Electron manager

First three words of 90.7 is "For specific items". Further reading in different NEC sections is where it mentions those specific items.

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor
IMO yes, the hardwired receiver would be an electronic switch.
"gray area"?? I am just going to(for the most part*) keep with home depot and Lowes products. That way if something DOES go "sideways"...
* I will only go with amazon or other online outlets if parts are listed.

I have done business with Dans electronics (with NO PROBLEM AT ALL) in the past. Some of their stuff is NOT listed (that I could see on the pics of the parts).

kwired

Electron manager
I wonder if a fan remote receiver would be considered electronic control switch?
404.1 says art 404 would cover it.

I still think if it came as part of a fan unit, it would be covered by listing of the complete unit. Stand alone/add on control unit likely should need to be listed though.