Ceiling projector and nec 400.8 & 400.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't see why it has to be such a big deal to install a recept. flush with or below a dropped ceiling for projectors or cameras, as far as condensate pumps go you can purchase a hard wired model.

I've installed drop down models that had the motor on the top, above the ceiling with a cord hanging out of the controller. The receptacle below the ceiling wouldn't work.

elohr46

I haven't installed any drop down units myself but Motion Lift makes both cord & hard wire units that work with several different types of projectors.

CFL

The flexible cord is not allowed above the ceiling.

Cut the outlet in facing down.

So when is a flexible cord allowed to be installed above the ceiling. Are there some circumstances that would allow me to run a cord above a ceiling, through a block wall or two, and on to the outside of a building?

iwire

Staff member
So when is a flexible cord allowed to be installed above the ceiling. Are there some circumstances that would allow me to run a cord above a ceiling, through a block wall or two, and on to the outside of a building?

Yes, things that NEC does not apply to. BBQ.:p

CFL

I would rather see the manufacturers provide equipment capable of being hardwired instead of opening a door that IMO should remain closed.

Are we talking about different things here? Is it because we're not talking industrial equipment here?

iwire

Staff member
It is a catch 22.

Do you violate the equipments listing and labeling, 110.3(B) or do you violate Article 400.

Keep in mind that if you say the NEC applies to cords that you can't use them at all anywhere on the machine as they are not found in either Table 310.13 or Table 400.4.

I think your best course of action is to talk with your AHJ and the machine manufacturer.

Personally I have installed quite a bit of German equipment and used either cable tray or wireway to run all the German cables in.

CFL

It is a catch 22.

Do you violate the equipments listing and labeling, 110.3(B) or do you violate Article 400.

Keep in mind that if you say the NEC applies to cords that you can't use them at all anywhere on the machine as they are not found in either Table 310.13 or Table 400.4.

I think your best course of action is to talk with your AHJ and the machine manufacturer.

Personally I have installed quite a bit of German equipment and used either cable tray or wireway to run all the German cables in.

One thing that I'm afraid some may have missed is that I'm only concerned with those wires that leave the machine, pass through several layers of the building, and basically installed like permanent building wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.