Clamping bare #4 exiting service panel to water pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I think the gap around the covers is larger than the KO (for water to run out/under).:D

I am asking because, "good trade practice" would be to clamp the wire and several AHJs in my area require it, I stuck my neck out and asked an electrician to clamp the GEC #4 today (he was fine with it) but I want to be 100%, if I am asking for it, that I can justify the request. I just want to be fair.

IMO, fair would be providing a code article that was violated and then asking. :)

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
The common code section used (and the most subjective) is 300.4, but this is an easy arguement to get into. Like I said previously, most AHJ's in my area are calling this and there are over 15 separate AHJ's in a 40 mile circle.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The common code section used (and the most subjective) is 300.4, but this is an easy arguement to get into. Like I said previously, most AHJ's in my area are calling this and there are over 15 separate AHJ's in a 40 mile circle.

Just curious, what specifically in 300.4 would you cite?

kwired

Electron manager
I think the gap around the covers is larger than the KO (for water to run out/under).:D

I am asking because, "good trade practice" would be to clamp the wire and several AHJs in my area require it, I stuck my neck out and asked an electrician to clamp the GEC #4 today (he was fine with it) but I want to be 100%, if I am asking for it, that I can justify the request. I just want to be fair.

There is often gap around covers, and there is usually "weep holes" in bottom corners of any 3R enclosure, the 1/4 inch hole in question here has to be punched out to use it for any purpose. You have a better suggestion for its purpose other than GEC entries?

IMO, fair would be providing a code article that was violated and then asking. :)

Sounds fair to me:)

Just curious, what specifically in 300.4 would you cite?
300.4 has nothing to do with securing a conductor, cable, raceway, etc to an enclosure. The title is "300.4 Protection Against Physical Damage."

iwire

Staff member

I have seen manufacturers cut sheets indicating that the small hole was in fact for the GEC

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think it was a Square D drawing, but I am not sure, that showed the 1/4" KO for use with the GEC.

I think you are correct only it is a 5/16" hole

ry%3D480

Status
Not open for further replies.