Complex Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Therealcrt

Occupation
Electrician
How can I make this work properly. There are 3 SP switches for 3 different lighting zones. Each zone is its own circuit. The lighting is also controlled by a time clock and also it needs an override switch for all the lighting.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

A 3p contactor is the obvious choice, but what do you want the override to do?

1. Manual override on: on/auto
2. Manual override off: auto/off
3. Manual override both ways: on/auto/off

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Okay, #3. Do you have a preference for switch type?

It can be easily done with a 1p (spst) switch and a 3-way (spdt) switch.

Do you still want individual control of the three groups?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The simplest solution is to have a panel shop build you an enclosure with 3 pole contractor, override switch and time clock. Then just land you line and load wires

Therealcrt

Occupation
Electrician
Okay, #3. Do you have a preference for switch type?

It can be easily done with a 1p (spst) switch and a 3-way (spdt) switch.

Do you still want individual control of the three groups?
I still want individual control yes so each switch controls its lights at any given time. The override switch turns off and on all the lights at any given time and the time clock turns off and on the lights at the set time

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That's tougher, but not impossible. I suggest replacing each switch with an spdt switch, and will require adding a third wire for each switch. Can additional wires be added?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I haven’t roughed anything in yet, the switches are actually calling for it to be dimmer switches
Dimmers can be left at a given setting, and can be added to the control wiring.

Knowing it's new work helps. Is this residential or commercial?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Okay. Next is what the "control panels" should look like. Should they be grouped or in different places?

Each group will need three things: An auto/manual switch, the on-off switch, and the dimmer.

You're really asking for three independent circuits you want a single timer to be able to control.

Do you want to use regular wall toggle switches, or something more industrial looking?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you use a center-off switch, you don't need a separate on-off switch.

If this gets too complicated, I'd be happy to message you my phone number.

gar

Occupation
EE
221202-2354 ST

Therealcrt:

I am not sure you have adequately defined every which way you want to control these lights.

However, my broad suggestion is to use GE RR relays for each circuit. These are impulse actuated relays. So the logic that controls the relays can be anything you desire that is logically possible.

Therealcrt

Occupation
Electrician
221202-2354 ST

Therealcrt:

I am not sure you have adequately defined every which way you want to control these lights.

However, my broad suggestion is to use GE RR relays for each circuit. These are impulse actuated relays. So the logic that controls the relays can be anything you desire that is logically possible.

I will start from the beginning. I have a bank of switches at the front of the store that are consisted of dimmer switches to control the lighting in the main store area. Each dimmer will be its own circuit because each switch will control more than 15 lights. In the back of the store near the panel is going to be a timeclock that will turn off and on all the lights at desired time. And also right at the store main entrance is where they want the override switch that will turn off and on ALL the lights at any given time

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Ohhhh, a single override for three separate circuits.

But the override right next to the three dimmers would be redundant and unnecessarily complicated.

There is also the timer-overrides-the-switches vs the-switches-overriding-the-timer decision.

Do you want whoever/whatever sends the most recent control to override everything previous?

The timer could plunge someone into darkness if they think they set an override that won't be overridden.

And you thought you were asking a simple question. 😊

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I will start from the beginning. I have a bank of switches at the front of the store that are consisted of dimmer switches to control the lighting in the main store area. Each dimmer will be its own circuit because each switch will control more than 15 lights. In the back of the store near the panel is going to be a timeclock that will turn off and on all the lights at desired time. And also right at the store main entrance is where they want the override switch that will turn off and on ALL the lights at any given time

Three lighting contactors feed the three dimmers.

time clock controls the three lighting contactors.

1 rotary dial timer is wired parallel to the lighting contactor coil.

do this all the time on retail.

I like to use the ABB modular CR series. One coil, up to 12 rails.

Status
Not open for further replies.