conduit burial

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

commercial parking lot, schedule 40 pvc, table 300.5 says 24 inches. electricican wanted to argue, i don't have time. any opinions

"i will study and be prepared and oneday my chance will come" abe lincoln

kwired

Electron manager
If he wants to argue tell him he first has to come up with a section containing material that gives credibility to the argument. 300.5 is pretty clear that it needs to be 24".

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Exactly what was he using for his side of the argument.

Roger

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

it was 9:45, the gc told him he wasn't deep enough when he called for inspection, when i got there, there is no pipe in the trench, cleaning out by hand, lots of it not deep enough, yes, i understand asphalt cover counts. just lazy, i reckon. his words were "it's 18" in a@#$^n" my response, "you're not there, you're here, follow the code". heating conduit with a big A@@ gas torch, wrote him up twice for that today, told him , get a hot box or a blanket. they got it finally

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I have seem it argued here as to which "line" in 300.5 trumps the other, but a vast majority of the inspectors I know would say 24" in this situation.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
300.5 is specific--Location of wiring column== parking lot-- and then column 3--24" I'd make my contractors go 24" and then, with all the other stuff you have noted, I would ensure that it is 24" to the TOP of the raceway!

cowboyjwc

Staff member
it was 9:45, the gc told him he wasn't deep enough when he called for inspection, when i got there, there is no pipe in the trench, cleaning out by hand, lots of it not deep enough, yes, i understand asphalt cover counts. just lazy, i reckon. his words were "it's 18" in a@#$^n" my response, "you're not there, you're here, follow the code". heating conduit with a big A@@ gas torch, wrote him up twice for that today, told him , get a hot box or a blanket. they got it finally

:DLOL. That's what we always say, "Remember when you drove into town and passed that sign that said 'Welcome to Simi Valley'?"

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
300.5 is specific--Location of wiring column== parking lot-- and then column 3--24" I'd make my contractors go 24" and then, with all the other stuff you have noted, I would ensure that it is 24" to the TOP of the raceway!

With note 1, the electrician can't argue the point of measurement either. Seems to be a case of the electrician blaming everyone else for his mistake.

Strife

You talking conduit under the street (where cars drive)? or in the island.
Noticed everyone's jumping on the 24" bandwagon, but FYI, if he's not under the pavement where cars actually drive over, IT IS 18"

commercial parking lot, schedule 40 pvc, table 300.5 says 24 inches. electricican wanted to argue, i don't have time. any opinions?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Noticed everyone's jumping on the 24" bandwagon, but FYI, if he's not under the pavement where cars actually drive over, IT IS 18"

I would agree, but if that's going to be your argument, then you better have the islands poured before I get there so that I know where they are going. I also won't inspect a parking lot untils it been at least rough graded. Or they can get a surveyor to shoot it for me.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

I wouldn't consider that a valid argument. 300.5 says parking lot. if it is a parking lot, or has asphalt, it is inferred that cars will drive on it.
The installation has to be 24" deep under the parking lot. If the contractor wants to come up to 18" in an island, then I agree that the island would have to be surveyed off or poured. Wouldn't that take more time than trenching 24" all the way through?
If the island has a 6" curb encompassing a raised bed, then technically, by your argument, the conduit can be 12" below the parking lot grade. Wouldn't that have to be installed before the final depth can be determined?

kwired

Electron manager
heating conduit with a big A@@ gas torch, wrote him up twice for that today, told him , get a hot box or a blanket. they got it finally

What exactly did you write him up for? I know of no rule that must be followed on how to heat it. I will admit it is easy to burn with a torch. Hot box will burn it if you leave it in too long also. I have a radiant gas heater that I use. works great.

iwire

Staff member
What exactly did you write him up for? I know of no rule that must be followed on how to heat it. I will admit it is easy to burn with a torch. Hot box will burn it if you leave it in too long also. I have a radiant gas heater that I use. works great.

I would bet this section

352.24 Bends ? How Made. Bends shall be so made that
the conduit will not be damaged and the internal diameter
of the conduit will not be effectively reduced. Field bends
shall be made only with bending equipment identified for the
purpose.
The radius of the curve to the centerline of such
bends shall not be less than shown in Table 2, Chapter 9.

kwired

Electron manager
I would bet this section

Does a person use a heating device to make the bend or just use the heating device to prepare the conduit for bending? After heating with an "approved" hot box or blanket do you use a bending shoe to make sure you have proper radius? My guess is almost nobody ever does. Some may make a jig to make the same bend multiple times.

Oops, I've been doing it wrong all this time. But it's usually just for small kicks. :angel:
If I need anything more than 30 degrees, I use pre-fab bends. :happyyes:

What if you need 53 degrees of bend or need to saddle a 1 inch diameter object?

Status
Not open for further replies.