Conduit run on floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

muskiedog

Good day all,

I have a location where conduit has been run across the floor in a electrical room. Can someone direct me to the code where this is allowed or not?

Just doesn't seem right. This is in a jail facilities electrical room.

iwire

Staff member
As far as the NEC it is fine, it might be a building code violation depending on where it is. But I doubt it is in an egress.

raider1

Staff member
I agree with Bob.

There is nothing in the NEC that would prohibit this unless we considered the EMT to be subject to severe physical damage.

Chris

dmagyar

110.26(a)(3)

110.26(a)(3)

Imho, it seems that 110.26A 3 would prohibit anything extending beyond 6" from the front edge of the panel in the working space (extending from the floor to the ceiling). The fact that the conduits are on the floor shouldn't exempt them from that distance.

I also note that other conduits have been sleeved through the floor, so that was also a option for these particular conduits assuming that they couldn't have been run overhead.

Anyone having to work or service this panel would have the added danger of tripping into the panel interior if the deadfront was removed.

Whatever, it's not a installation I'd like with my signature on.

iwire

Staff member
Imho, it seems that 110.26A 3 would prohibit anything extending beyond 6" from the front edge of the panel in the working space (extending from the floor to the ceiling). The fact that the conduits are on the floor shouldn't exempt them from that distance.

I agree with you 100% but that did not look like a panel front to me.

I also note that other conduits have been sleeved through the floor, so that was also a option for these particular conduits assuming that they couldn't have been run overhead.

That has absolutely nothing to do with it being allowed or not.

Jim W in Tampa

We can only assume something was added or left out. And we do not know if this has been inspected or not. Very poor workmanship. They should have ran along floor wall line if nothing else.
Am sure many here have been ordered to do unpermited work. My orders are do it the same as if being inspected.

growler

I agree with you 100% but that did not look like a panel front to me.

What is really needed is a photo from the other angle so we can see where the conduit is going.

This being a jail it may not have gotten a proper inspection by local authorities. The conduit is on top of tile so it was missed early on.

If they are trying to kick this back on the contractor that did the install I think dmagyar has the best idea and that measuring working clearance is the best chance of finding a solid code violation.

We don't see any panels but there have to be some because it's the electrical room. :)

Jim W in Tampa

Anyone having to work or service this panel would have the added danger of tripping into the panel interior if the deadfront was removed.

Whatever, it's not a installation I'd like with my signature on.

Use prisoners to do the work. WIN ,WIN situation

jusme123

Occupation
JW
I agree with Bob.

There is nothing in the NEC that would prohibit this unless we considered the EMT to be subject to severe physical damage.

Chris

...300.6 would be a stretch, but some floor stripping chemicals do have a deteriorating effect. If this is an acceptable install, it only proves (again) that the NEC is not bullet proof.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
. If this is an acceptable install, it only proves (again) that the NEC is not bullet proof.

It proves no such thing.

The NEC is not there to prevent installations that offend people. It is there to prevent electrical hazards and assuming that all other code sections are satisfied there is no electrical hazard in running conduits across a floor.

In fact you find it done quite often around machinery.

Status
Not open for further replies.