conduit straps

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
If you look at XXX.6 in every raceway article it says applicable raceway type, factory elbows, couplings and associated fittings shall be listed.

Art 100 definition of Fitting.

An accessory such as a locknut, bushing, or other part of a wiring system that is intended primarily to perform a mechanical rather than an electrical function

Is a strap a fitting? maybe.

Every raceway article section XXX.30(A) mentions securely fastened within a minimum distance from raceway termination points it does vary depending on which type of raceway is involved. Does not mention it needs secured with any listed component though. As I was looking through them at least one did mention approved means - I believe it was FMC or LT flex. Not all of them have this though.

XXX.30(B) all say that horizontal runs through framing members (with minimum distances between members) are considered supported, but still requires securing at the ends of the run as mentioned in (A).

I am still left with an answer of I don't know if straps are required to be listed.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I am still left with an answer of I don't know if straps are required to be listed.
There's no requirement for one to use a fitting to secure or support. IMO it does not matter whether the strap is listed or not.

What about support by a framing member? Does a framing member need to be listed for the purpose? :p:D

kwired

Electron manager
There's no requirement for one to use a fitting to secure or support. IMO it does not matter whether the strap is listed or not.

What about support by a framing member? Does a framing member need to be listed for the purpose? :p:D
I totally agree.

Have been gigged for before for using straps not listed for the purpose to secure/support MC cable. Started using those wire NM cable staples for MC now - which aren't listed at all and those are fine:roll: My argument was the securing and supporting method doesn't need to be listed, but was told and apparently wasn't going to convince otherwise that what I was using wasn't listed for what I was using it for (it did have a listing but it was for NM cables):huh::slaphead::rant:

Many straps are listed, but does that mean you can only use them for what they are listed for?

Raceways are listed, but I use them a lot to make spacers for mounting things, should that be prohibited because they are not listed for that purpose?

I think not.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I think not.
A bit of common sense goes a long way... but when you have Code saying cable ties are okay in certain articles, people seem to lose their [common] sense when it comes to other articles. If you secure or support a metal wiring system to the bottom of structural ceiling elements with cable ties, what's gonna happen if there's a fire?

kwired

Electron manager
A bit of common sense goes a long way... but when you have Code saying cable ties are okay in certain articles, people seem to lose their [common] sense when it comes to other articles. If you secure or support a metal wiring system to the bottom of structural ceiling elements with cable ties, what's gonna happen if there's a fire?
That is where "approved" comes in to play. Metal strap with short screw into a wood framing member may also come down long before the structural member is significantly weakened by the fire, approved in that instance may mean a longer screw is necessary.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If you look at XXX.6 in every raceway article it says applicable raceway type, factory elbows, couplings and associated fittings shall be listed.
Art 100 definition of Fitting.
Is a strap a fitting? maybe.

I thought a strap met the definition of a fitting, but the CMP did not agree.
8-5 Log #2239 NEC-P08 Final Action: Reject
(342.6 Exception (New) )
Exception: Raceway support fittings and accessories shall not be required to
be listed .

Substantiation: The Article 100 definition of “fitting” seems to include raceway supports. Many of the commonly used raceway support straps, clamps, and other items are not listed.
Panel Meeting Action: Reject
Panel Statement: Conduit support accessories are not considered “Fittings”. Sections 300.6 and 300.6(A) require support hardware to be constructed of materials suitable for the environment for which they are to be installed.
Number Eligible to Vote: 12
Ballot Results: Affirmative: 12
(blue text = proposed new text)

kwired

Electron manager
I thought a strap met the definition of a fitting, but the CMP did not agree.

[/COLOR]
Now how do you tell a stubborn inspector that even though many of them are listed, they are not required to be. If I use a strap listed for 3/4 EMT to support 1/2 RMC is that a problem? I don't think so. Not that I had that exact problem that I can recall but have had similar issues before.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Now how do you tell a stubborn inspector that even though many of them are listed, they are not required to be. If I use a strap listed for 3/4 EMT to support 1/2 RMC is that a problem? I don't think so. Not that I had that exact problem that I can recall but have had similar issues before.
Show them the ROP.

Roger

peter d

I used some 1" one hole EMT straps to support SER cable because the supply house was out of the plastic SER staples. Good thing I didn't have that one inspected. ;)

iwire

Staff member
I used some 1" one hole EMT straps to support SER cable

SE cable? :eek:hmy:

burning_house.jpg

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Check specs/plans though ......

Got turned down on a job in south Florida where I used tie wire to secure emt to the bar joists, note in the plans said "all materials must be listed and identified for the purpose......"

Inspector would not let it go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.