condulet bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

glene77is

Quote/
Therefore, raceways should be installed
to permit drainage through drain holes at appropriate locations.
Quote/

I don't think this permits drilling drain holes, or defines where or how they occur.

IMO,
the question here is the 'intent' of drilling holes in condulet bodies
for 'Mounting' purposes.

comments?

Last edited:

glene77is

Obviously location is key,
adding a weep hole facing the sky would be a poor idea.
Or adding a weep hole in some sort of sump that may fill with 'oil and dirt' would be a poor placement.

iWire,

Surely you are not implying that weep holes (facing in any direction)
could be used as 'Mounting' holes?

This is a good Saturday topic!

Comments?

glene77is

Well we also dont understand how one can say its a box in the nec as conduit bodies if there marked with volume of cubic size its just for splices or taps its not meaning a box ?

As I look at 314.17 and surrounding code
this is discussing 'Conduit Fill'
and it not defining a Condulet as a 'Box'.

I love these friendly discussions, man, what a Saturday!
Comments?

Last edited:

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Can't believe this discussion!

Gentlemen (loosely used) open your codebooks (2008) to 314.23(E) :), ask yourself why even drill the condulet? The pipe is supporting the condulet. In regard to drains in classified spaces, consider 501.15 give the FPN its due dilligence ( I already know fpn's are not code, but it will et you to where you can make a codeworthy install, and pass inspection if you do much c1d1 work)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Can't believe this discussion!

Gentlemen (loosely used) open your codebooks (2008) to 314.23(E) :), ask yourself why even drill the condulet? The pipe is supporting the condulet.
I often use oversized LBs with smaller conduit for optical fiber or other cables that have a large minimum installed bending radius. If the volume of the fitting exceeds 100 cubic inches, and the conduit is not the same trade size, the fitting requires support per 314.23(E).

Rockyd

Occupation
I smell some crow being cooked up in the kitchen for me, but am pushing that plate away! If it's in a normal commercial area,your still stuck with "eight on the straight, and six on the angle mix", why not just put a 12" X 12'" X 8" junction box in? They are a lot cheaper than a large condulet, and, you can always cobble together some kind of support from unistrut, and spring, or cone nuts, and hardware. to qualify as a "supported":D . Even in classified areas, with fibre, you can do 504.10(B).

As my apprentice said the other day - I have some interesting, and competitive (would hate to be called cheap) ways of get er' done. It doesn't have to be art work (just functional), and it will look good from my house :). This is coming from a guy who does concentric bending??? All depends on what the money looks like!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I smell some crow being cooked up in the kitchen for me, but am pushing that plate away! If it's in a normal commercial area,your still stuck with "eight on the straight, and six on the angle mix", why not just put a 12" X 12'" X 8" junction box in? They are a lot cheaper than a large condulet, and, you can always cobble together some kind of support from unistrut, and spring, or cone nuts, and hardware. to qualify as a "supported":D .
This is industrial work that it is a rare case that there would be room on the conduit rack for a junction box. I even went to the REDDOT LBDs because they take up less room on the rack than most other brands. I also doubt that you could purchase and install a NEMA 4 j-box for less than one of the oversized LBs.

Volta

Condulet bodies designed to be supported by the conduit itself.
The pipe is supporting the condulet.

Set screw type = "hubs identified for the purpose"?
314.23(E)

Might be oversized just for the bend radius.
314.28(A)(2)

If it's in a normal commercial area,your still stuck with "eight on the straight, and six on the angle mix", why not just put a 12" X 12'" X 8" junction box in?

Doesn't matter if it is commercial, industrial, residential, agricultural . . . It's still 314.28 if bigger than #6.

Rockyd

Occupation
Originally Posted by Rockyd
If it's in a normal commercial area,your still stuck with "eight on the straight, and six on the angle mix", why not just put a 12" X 12'" X 8" junction box in?

Doesn't matter if it is commercial, industrial, residential, agricultural . . . It's still 314.28 if bigger than #6.

Read my quote above yours again, then think about the rule. It helps to keep the rules straight with a simple rythme -

Just like six for the mix, and four or more.

I threw the numbers up to suggest the JB would be vastly larger than the LB...then the crows began to circle as I remember that conduit bodies now have to follow the rule too.

I don't own a white book, so I can't take a stand on methodology. Bet that NECA-NEIS doesn't recognize it, so it would be up to the local inspector.

Just like Friday's pipe work I was running - we try not to bog a run down with bends and boxes so I ran a run of 1"EMT 130' to run into a box where I can knock out the hole opposite the entry, and pull straight down (and hope I weigh enough to pull the 7 #10's through 2 90's a kick, and an offset, on top of a lift. :D )

Status
Not open for further replies.