Cord Cap for MC cable?

SmallFrY251

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I'm wondering if you guys have ever used a cord cap for MC cable? My application requires a mc cable for high bay lights so I am looking for something 600V twist lock that I can put on MC cable. TIA

SmallFrY251

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Okay. Yes the NEC does state you must use by listing, however, listing calls for use in lighting nothing specific to connections or in specific not for use in a cord cap. On top of that wiring into a cord cap is direct wiring as it has a listed terminal for the cable size in use but I really wasn’t looking to discuss semantics was hoping someone had an ease of use solution to help. A google search pulls me cable rated connectors that have a UL listing for MC. I’m sure someone on here has installed high bay lighting in a high heat area where MC cable is the best solution for the application.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
I'm wondering if you guys have ever used a cord cap for MC cable?
Yes, this animal has been sighted in the wild for NEMA 5-15.

Here is one found in someones garage, missing the anti-short bushing.
IMG_9487.JPG IMG_9499.JPG

Last edited:

SmallFrY251

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Yeah I’m trying to make it easier for replacement in the future. These lights take a beating from heat and mini explosions from operations. The feeds for lights will come from a junction box above crane rail that converts from conduit to MC due to the volatile environment piping or anything “permanent” wouldn’t last. Much easier to replace a 50lb light 130’ in the air with a plug and play setup. I’ve used receptacles and junction boxes to SO cord in the past the vibration creates loose connections and more issues so I try to eliminate as many junctions I can. At least this way if you have an issue you know at one place (the light) and makes troubleshooting faster/easier. Vendor sent some Hubbel connectors that were about 150$ a set and I have roughly 2k of these lights to install.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Yeah I’m trying to make it easier for replacement in the future. These lights take a beating from heat and mini explosions from operations. The feeds for lights will come from a junction box above crane rail that converts from conduit to MC due to the volatile environment piping or anything “permanent” wouldn’t last. Much easier to replace a 50lb light 130’ in the air with a plug and play setup. I’ve used receptacles and junction boxes to SO cord in the past the vibration creates loose connections and more issues so I try to eliminate as many junctions I can. At least this way if you have an issue you know at one place (the light) and makes troubleshooting faster/easier. Vendor sent some Hubbel connectors that were about 150$ a set and I have roughly 2k of these lights to install.
Use a proper nonmetalic strain relief on extra hard duty cord rated for oil and whatever else is in the facilities.

No the listing for the cord cap.
Well Bill said MC is not listed for a cord cap. I'd just like to see a source that says that - trust but verify. I didn't find anything conclusive on the cord cap. I looked at a few spec sheets and didn't see anything saying "for SJ and So cables only". Or "not for use with metal clad cables". Closest thing I found was leviton says "cord size range: xyz". Hubbel says "for flat and round cords and cables".

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Well Bill said MC is not listed for a cord cap. I'd just like to see a source that says that - trust but verify. I didn't find anything conclusive on the cord cap. I looked at a few spec sheets and didn't see anything saying "for SJ and So cables only". Or "not for use with metal clad cables". Closest thing I found was leviton says "cord size range: xyz". Hubbel says "for flat and round cords and cables".
MC is a chapter 3 wiring method with instructions to install in the ways said in its article. Apart from the cap it would need securring to the box by an MC listed connector. If there was a cord cap connector also listed as an mc connector thatd be interesting. It also isn't allowed for luminarie support like SO Is.

Yes you can wire a high bay with it but not with a twist lock plug on the end but instead direct from highbay to box using a listed connector.

Todd0x1

100% can't put most cord caps on MC cable. Besides the facts that MC isn't a cord and the cord grip isn't going to properly clamp MC, you're also not properly bonding the sheath and the contacts on the cord grip are not designed or listed for solid wire.

There is however a product designed for plug and connector disconnectable MC cable:

MC is a chapter 3 wiring method with instructions to install in the ways said in its article. Apart from the cap it would need securring to the box by an MC listed connector. If there was a cord cap connector also listed as an mc connector thatd be interesting. It also isn't allowed for luminarie support like SO Is.

Yes you can wire a high bay with it but not with a twist lock plug on the end but instead direct from highbay to box using a listed connector.
I don't see anything in 330 saying MC must be secured to a box 😉. But I think you may have me on the listed fittings:

330.6 Listing Requirements. Type MC cable shall be listed. Fittings used for connecting Type MC cable to boxes, cabinets, or other equipment shall be listed and identified for such use.

It would be really nice if someone made a cord cap specifically for MC. I'm trying to think of a clever way to transition from an MC fitting to a cord cap 🤔

Todd0x1

See Post #6 Photo. MC cord cap says "cover grounded"
yes because the metal shell needs to be bonded. That doesn't mean its listed for bonding the sheath on MC cable.

The plug pictured is a hubbell, I don't think they make it anymore but leviton does, p/n 515PA. Its instructions limit its use to cord. See below:

"Armored Plug - Cat. No. 515PA, Armored Cord Outlet - Cat. No. 515CA
Rated: 15A-125V
Use with Vacuum Cleaner Cord, Jr. Hard Service Cord; 18/3 to 12/3
AWG 0.312”-0.655” dia. max. STRANDED COPPER WIRE ONLY!"

norcal

Yes, this animal has been sighted in the wild for NEMA 5-15.

Here is one found in someones garage, missing the anti-short bushing.
View attachment 2569973 View attachment 2569974
Red heads are not required on MC cable.