Cord Cap for MC cable?

MD Automation

Occupation
Engineer
There is however a product designed for plug and connector disconnectable MC cable:
I have absolutely seen these connectors in our old Engineering offices - used on the modular sections of 4 foot tall walls that separated the open space desk areas. They dropped an MC cable out of the suspended ceiling inside a nice aluminum floor to ceiling chase. That drop was then wired into those connectors that then got daisy chained desk to desk for the modular outlets set into the desk tops.

They were very nice - and I have no idea how $$ they were.

garbo

In rooms that were hot all year long we used cord rated for 90 degree C for 400 watt luminares with a twist lock plug and never had a problem. Would not trust MC cable staying in a small cable clamp on any plug especially if there was even a little vibration.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research

I honestly don't trust that page. They are a vendor, not a manufacturer, and I'm pretty sure that those are 'armored vinyl connectors'. You can read the word 'Cooper' in the yellow vinyl, and I'm pretty sure this is the device:

https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/skuPage.2867.html

I'd want to see installation instructions that say MC cable. My _bet_ is that the instructions say SJ cable...but I'd love to be corrected.

-Jon

John A

Occupation
Inspector
The word "armor" IMHO is reference to the metal covering over the plastic body. The info within the link and the PDF within that are useless as there is no mention of cord sizes, (OD) conductor sizes, etc.
BTW, the pic shows what looks like a plastic bushing in the connector, so this device must be compatible with a wide range (OD) of cords.

When I had my EC business, the high bays were ordered with 'cord and plug' option (twistlock & voltage) and the matching receptacles, 4x box covers, were ordered from the supply house so everything was on hand.

Never had any issues, however I didn't work in a place with mini explosions or extreme heat.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Red heads are not required on MC cable.
That is because listed MC connectors are designed to protect the conductors from edges of the jacket. The male cord pugs don't have such protection because they are not listed for MC or AC cable.

The metal cord plugs are called armored because of the metal protection. All of the third party companies selling them for AC and MC don't understand the difference between armored protection of the plug and armored cable.

Knightryder12

Occupation
Sr. Electrical Designer/Project Manager
I honestly don't trust that page. They are a vendor, not a manufacturer, and I'm pretty sure that those are 'armored vinyl connectors'. You can read the word 'Cooper' in the yellow vinyl, and I'm pretty sure this is the device:

https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/skuPage.2867.html

I'd want to see installation instructions that say MC cable. My _bet_ is that the instructions say SJ cable...but I'd love to be corrected.

-Jon
On the link that i posted, it said that it was approved to be connected with AC/MC cable.

"This connector mates with the following Armored Cable / MC Cable Female AC Plug (Inline): Armored Cable / MC Cable Female Inline AC Plug - NEMA 5-15R - PH-8515J QTY: 1 x Armored Cable / MC Cable Male AC Plug - NEMA 5-15P"

curt swartz

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
On the link that i posted, it said that it was approved to be connected with AC/MC cable.

"This connector mates with the following Armored Cable / MC Cable Female AC Plug (Inline): Armored Cable / MC Cable Female Inline AC Plug - NEMA 5-15R - PH-8515J QTY: 1 x Armored Cable / MC Cable Male AC Plug - NEMA 5-15P"
You really believe the info on some random website that is reselling another manufactures product? Without a UL file number the info is useless.

curt swartz

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This plug is a Female AC NEMA 5-15R plug for installation onto "armored cable" commonly known as "MC Cable".

They don't even know that AC and MC are completely different cables.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research

Yes, I read that. I was specifically saying that I don't trust the claim on that web page. I would want to see the actual installation instructions that come with that plug, and the instructions are not linked on the web page.

Thanks
Jon

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
The definition of Attachment Plug (Plug Cap) (Plug) implies flexible cord is the only acceptable use, "A device that, by insertion in a receptable, establishes a connection between the conductors of the attached flexible cord and the conductors connected permanently".

If you go to 400.4, for Flexible Cords and Flexible Cables, "The use of Flexible cords and flexible cables other than those in Table 400.4 shall require permission by the authority having jurisdiction." Type MC cable is not listed in table 400.4 and since it has it's own section with uses permitted and not permitted, I would say it is not a flexible cord. The uses permitted for MC would conflict with uses permitted for flexible cord.

Now for receptacles, the mounting of them defined in 406.5, specifies "Receptacles shall be mounted in identified boxes or assemblies. The boxes or assemblies shall be securely fastened in place unless otherwise specified elsewhere in this code"". The handbook below this section points out, that "receptacles in pendant boxes are permitted if the box is supported from the flexible cord in accordance with 314.23(H)(1)."

And as previously mentioned, a flexible cord is not type MC cable.

If you compare the construction specifications of a flexible cord to that of a MC type cable.

For example, Flexible cords are required to be copper with flexible stranding. They have insulation thickness requirements. MC cable's construction is geared towards a wiring method for being securely installed rather than installed with strain relief outlets.

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I also noticed it said 12-3 for the wiring. MC or AC with black, white, green, is called 12-2. The cords, SJ,etc. will call that 12-3 as they include the ground. I would say these specs were for cords.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I agree with @Elect117 , yet that 'RELOC' system sure seems a counterpoint. The cable looks like MC, and those sure look like cord caps, and the cables then become part of what is essentially permanent wiring in the structure.

So in principal I think you could have something akin to a cord cap made for building wiring such as MC.

Todd0x1

I agree with @Elect117 , yet that 'RELOC' system sure seems a counterpoint. The cable looks like MC, and those sure look like cord caps, and the cables then become part of what is essentially permanent wiring in the structure.

So in principal I think you could have something akin to a cord cap made for building wiring such as MC.
I don't know if there are any field installable plug and connector systems for MC cable, I believe Reloc is factory made. Point is, it is possible to have a field plug disconnectable MC cable that is safe and legal but you can't do it with Nema connectors designed and listed solely for portable cord.

Todd0x1

I have absolutely seen these connectors in our old Engineering offices - used on the modular sections of 4 foot tall walls that separated the open space desk areas. They dropped an MC cable out of the suspended ceiling inside a nice aluminum floor to ceiling chase. That drop was then wired into those connectors that then got daisy chained desk to desk for the modular outlets set into the desk tops.

They were very nice - and I have no idea how $$ they were.

Furniture plugs are often different than reloc. Sometimes they use anderson connectors inside, sometimes something made by tyco, and sometimes something proprietary.

Todd0x1

it doesn't though. It says "This plug is a Male AC NEMA 5-15P plug for installation onto "armored cable" commonly known as "MC Cable" then separately it says "UL Listed (logo on device)" -nowhere does it say its listed for MC cable and I am willing to bet you a sandwich its not. As someone else pointed out this is most likely a cooper plug, and if you look at the terminals on it they are a little U shape pressure plate that can not take solid wire. Because I can't let things go I'll probably contact philmore to get the UL number, I highly doubt they went to the trouble and expense for MLS and the ul number for the product will be the cooper one or the chinese manufacturer of it.

farmantenna

Okay. Yes the NEC does state you must use by listing, however, listing calls for use in lighting nothing specific to connections or in specific not for use in a cord cap. On top of that wiring into a cord cap is direct wiring as it has a listed terminal for the cable size in use but I really wasn’t looking to discuss semantics was hoping someone had an ease of use solution to help. A google search pulls me cable rated connectors that have a UL listing for MC. I’m sure someone on here has installed high bay lighting in a high heat area where MC cable is the best solution for the application.
uhh, no. no one has installed a cord cap on MC. Maybe use a flexible cord with high temp rating.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
IMHO there is definitely a space where a hybrid between building wiring and flexible cords makes sense.

The RELOC stuff is an example. We are not talking about frequent plugging and unplugging. Rather plug in once, leave it until the building gets reconfigured, maybe disconnect and reuse.

I could imagine the non-metallic version of this, something like tray cable dual listed as SO cord, so that it could be plugged in and part of permanent building wiring.

I agree that aluminum armor solid conductor MC probably isn't suitable for dual use a building wire and flexible cord.
But use stranded conductors and an armor jacket designed for frequent flexing? I'd use it.

Jon

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
That is because listed MC connectors are designed to protect the conductors from edges of the jacket. The male cord pugs don't have such protection because they are not listed for MC or AC cable.

The metal cord plugs are called armored because of the metal protection. All of the third party companies selling them for AC and MC don't understand the difference between armored protection of the plug and armored cable.
Yes I see, if UL standards don't apply to overseas OEM's, or their resellers, consumers bear all liability.

An article 100 definition is needed to recognize lawful labeling resembling listed 110.3(B) instructions.