Cussing on the job site!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Obviously none of y'all watch television. There is plenty of "cussing" on the boob tube and kids as well as male and females watch it all the time. Am I condoning it... NO but come on get real. There are much bigger issues than someone saying a 4 letter word.

stickboy1375

Dennis Alwon said:
Obviously none of y'all watch television. There is plenty of "cussing" on the boob tube and kids as well as male and females watch it all the time. Am I condoning it... NO but come on get real. There are much bigger issues than someone saying a 4 letter word.

depends on what 4 letter word he said with a female present...

480sparky

Dennis Alwon said:

Nudity is all over the TV too... you wanna be the first one to show up on the job site wearing nothing but your hard hat and steel-toed shoes?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
stickboy1375 said:
depends on what 4 letter word he said with a female present...

Those are sexist statements sticky. Women and men can both be offended by language. I am not saying to cuss the person out and I agree people should be careful but it happens and women, men and children hear it. Life goes on-- that is reality. You can't shelter everyone from talk.

peter d

This thread is funny because just like the sidework thread, the dividing line between business owners/formen and employees is pretty clear. Those who have businesses to build and customers to keep happy will watch what they and their employees say, employees who are just working for a paycheck generally don't care.

stickboy1375

peter d said:
This thread is funny because just like the sidework thread, the dividing line between business owners/formen and employees is pretty clear. Those who have businesses to build and customers to keep happy will watch what they and their employees say, employees who are just working for a paycheck generally don't care.

You bring up a good point, who really needs who...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
peter d said:
Peter, I own my business but I certainly wouldn't fire an employee because he used a word that was overheard by anybody. I would ask him to be more careful. I myself have slipped many times. I would hate to fire me.

Edit to fix would fire to wouldn't fire

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
stickboy1375 said:
I agree, but is it really necessary? I mean, cant we survive without the potty talk?

Read many of the threads-- potty talk is all over it. Sometimes we use initials to disguise it. Hey is LMAO okay-- IT may be offensive to someone else. I can't type the other ones because then it may get cut.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Dennis Alwon said:

Yep, and they might go down the road for these "bigger" issues too. I have a very low tolerance for rudeness.

Watching the tube in your own home is your business, if you're an employee of mine and you are offending customers or other people in public and I receive a call, then it becomes my business.

We work at a hospital where there only wording allowed on any clothing is company names, we respect that and our employees have no choice but to abide by these rules.

If they feel they must wear an AC DC tee shirt, they will do it somewhere else, such is life.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
peter d said:
But one of your customers could fire you.

They never have. I also don't cuss in their faces either but it happens. Usually the doo doo word.

Last edited by a moderator:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Dennis Alwon said:
Peter, I own my business but I certainly would fire an employee because he used a word that was overheard by anybody.

Hmmm, I guess we are on the same page then.

Roger

peter d

roger said:
We work at a hospital where there only wording allowed on any clothing is company names, we respect that and our employees have no choice but to abide by these rules.

True, when you work for large corporations you follow their rules or you don't work.

I've worked at a Johnson and Johnson campus where smoking was forbidden ANYWHERE on the premises (including outdoors) except for the "smokers pavilion" located at the far end of the campus. Violate that rule = pack your stuff and leave.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
peter d said:
True, when you work for large corporations you follow their rules or you don't work.

I've worked at a Johnson and Johnson campus where smoking was forbidden ANYWHERE on the premises (including outdoors) except for the "smokers pavilion" located at the far end of the campus. Violate that rule = pack your stuff and leave.

Peter, we also work for a number of customers where smoking is banned on their property, this hospital is one.

We also work for customers that do not allow any jewelery, including rings, studs, hoops, etc..., this really tears some people up. :)

Roger

MAK

Tori said:
LOl what are you ? a bunch of pansys ?

Try working on a tall building with 500 electricians you think 4 letter words don't come out ? and I mean even the gc is involved

foul language does'nt mean I am not a top notch electrician - I make serious money for my boss I am fast and I am aggressive and damn it I use colorful language
just to understood

Offended ? then get off the site while we get her done

I do not expect people who share that view to understand the topic being discussed. The problem is the incident occurred in a school and a school official heard it. It may not matter how well you have completed the job because the customer now has something THEY view as a negative about your company.
Being aware of your enviroment and acting accordingly is not that strange. When you pump gas in your car you are aware that it is not a good idea to smoke or light anything on fire because the consequences could be severe!;)

Same thing with job sites that have "Pansys". If you cuss maybe someone hears you and makes a problem for you and your company. Bosses do not like problems. Don't be a problem!

nakulak

sometimes when I know I'm going to be working at a job where I can't cuss, I'll get up in the morning and hurl expletives and racial epithets at my unsuspecting neighbor, then I'm set for the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.