Cut in box in ceiling tile

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have been shot down on one of our installations by a local inspector and was wondering if anyone could give me a suggestion. Here is what we did. First of all we are using the round Carlon blue cut in boxes to hang our occupancy sensors off of and we are cutting them into ceiling tiles. We feel that since this is a light weight device the tile can hold the weight fine. The inspector is quoting 314.23 (D) that suspended ceilings require that these boxes not be over 1650 cm (100 cubic inches) in size and be securely fastened in place by either framing members and or support wires. He may be right on this one, we've done what we are doing before without problems. What do you guys think? Thanks a lot and have a good day!

lakee911

He may be right on this one, we've done what we are doing before without problems. What do you guys think?

You pretty much answered it on your own there. Just because you've been doing it wrong all along doesn't mean you can continue to do so.

I've seen in a lot of buildings can lights that have been installed in tiles and only a few years later they're sagging. They definately are not supported.

480sparky

...........I've seen in a lot of buildings can lights that have been installed in tiles and only a few years later they're sagging. They definately are not supported.

You don't say!?!?! :D

Photo13.jpg

Photo23.jpg

Photo31.jpg

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Its more of a ceiling tile question for the building AHJs, if there was an allowance in the tile mfgs instructions on the allowed weight, you would comply with that.

RE

RE

Its more of a ceiling tile question for the building AHJs, if there was an allowance in the tile mfgs instructions on the allowed weight, you would comply with that.

Yeah, that was my response to my boss because I said at what point is it too much weight? 5 pounds, 10 pounds? You have to draw a line somewhere right? I told him our best avenue would be to try to find the cuts on the ceiling tile and see if there is a reference to what we are looking for, but I think for the sake of time we will fix it to please the inspector. Thanks for the quick response, you guys are good.

RICK NAPIER

Here is a box UL listed and rated for drop ceilings up to 50lbs but they must tie up tight with a supplied support cable.
http://www.arlcatalog.com/Fan_Specialty/CAM-LIGHT%20Box.htm

bgeorge

These Arlington boxes are great!!!! I have used them for exit/exitemg combos...with the drop wire they are rated for up to 50 lbs. Not rated for luminaires w/outh thw drop wire. Deffinite time saver on both the rough and the final. Around here they are about $8. Worth it to me. I bought a case just to have.:)

amptech

Caddy and B-Line both make a box/bracket for suspended ceilings that spans the grid and is supported by the T-bars. I don't care for the Arlington box in the link. Especially for mounting exit signs.

lakee911

These Arlington boxes are great!!!! I have used them for exit/exitemg combos...with the drop wire they are rated for up to 50 lbs. Not rated for luminaires w/outh thw drop wire. Deffinite time saver on both the rough and the final. Around here they are about $8. Worth it to me. I bought a case just to have.:)

looks pretty slick to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.