Cutting back on existing circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlietuna

So you feel correct to add load to a panel "ON A HUNCH" by changing existing tenant space circuiting and splicing WITH other circuits that maybe (???) previously didn't have a problem??

Mule

So you feel correct to add load to a panel "ON A HUNCH" by changing existing tenant space circuiting and splicing WITH other circuits that maybe (???) previously didn't have a problem??

Ok, I think its time for me to take vacation or something....if you must know more to validate your wondering mind that's not a problem, I had to reroute and move ALL of the home runs in the building as they removed the drop ceiling. And NO I didnt say "I feel correct" on a hunch....I was meerly asking a question based upon my hunch, on how to consolidate the circuits....I got my answer.... A couple of you just look for negatives.....but that's ok...I've got big shoulders......:)

Why should I do a load calculation when its easy as pie....there is NO load. 150 amp panel....existing Five rooms, lighting only and 4 recepts each...one foyer, which Im installing dedicated circuits for coffee machines, four ceiling fans, sound system, bla bla

Your wearing me out.....:rolleyes:

Mule

Yes, but be sure to avoid placing shared neutrals between two hots of the same phase.

Yes I had to watch that closely as I rerouted home runs. Some of the original branch circuits were blk rd bl...but alot of other work that was not color coded....So alot of lableing for sure and carefull re-landing...

Mule

Dont take the bait. They are wiggling it at you. You are working for a higher authority. Hey where is George the insult police?

Thanks ....The extent of it is my fault, because when I sense It, I tend to be a quick replier, because I just wont take it...Conservative people just get trampled that's part of it...

charlietuna

Muley,
Just reacting to what you post--you discribed the situation as "commercial panels full of breakers" -- you asked the question and then want to answer it??? In my opinion your first responsibility is to determine if any panel is capable of "PROPERLY" feed additional load without effecting existing loads.

This seems to be a growing problem in commercial buildings where many tenants share common panels. There must be a method to determine existing loads better than a "HUNCH" or "AMPPROBE".............

Mule

Muley,
Just reacting to what you post--you discribed the situation as "commercial panels full of breakers" -- you asked the question and then want to answer it??? In my opinion your first responsibility is to determine if any panel is capable of "PROPERLY" feed additional load without effecting existing loads.

This seems to be a growing problem in commercial buildings where many tenants share common panels. There must be a method to determine existing loads better than a "HUNCH" or "AMPPROBE".............

This is not a shared issue at all, but I hear you,and I agree, but the amprobe is the first thing I do, with everything on. Then If I think it needs a calc I do it....but remember this thread question was "assuming" the panel was not loaded as earlier stated by my so called hunch. My question was about consolidating circuits the proper way, and I shouldnt have to defend something that I didnt say...so please dont read into what is not said.....please it wears me out

steelersman

Conservative people just get trampled that's part of it...

I don't think this has anything to do with political leanings Mule. I'm pretty sure you are a competent electrician. I don't understand why you are asking this question. Seems like you already know your answer. Maybe you just wanted to share your job with us? :)

Sparky555

If I wanted to consolidate circuits to create space, can I do it in the panel? or do I have to do it in Jbox or gutter?

If this means "can I splice conductors in the service panel" the answer is that you are allowed to make splices in the panel according to the space available in the panel. Count existing conductors, measure space in the panel, you know the routine.

Typically the answer is yes. There are a LOT of cubic inches in a panel. No telling w/o the calculations though.

Status
Not open for further replies.