Daisy Chained Receptacles in Conduit - 310.15(A) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
The rule specifies multiple receptacles. Not sure a 30 amp duplex exists, so it would be fine for one 30 amp single receptacle.
There are 30A 3-phase receptacles, too. And I've seen plenty of portable fans, blowers, vacuums and pumps that are "cord-and-plug-connected" fed that way. Can't recall any where there was more than one off the same OCPD, but could have been, and could have been daisy chained, too.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
There are advantages an disadvantegs to both methods. Boxes require support conduit bodies do not so that's one advantage to not using a box. Since you're already splicing at the receptacles why add more splices at the "T" points. You might save some wire with the boxes but will have more labor.
There is no need to add more splices, and most times you would'nt want to splice in a T anyway.

We're just beating the T up because it came up in a derating discussion.

Jap>

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
We're just beating the T up because it came up in a derating discussion.

Jap>
LoL, beating up the T, I like that. :D
I've gotten beat up for using tees. Made up an array of them a couple times and asked why not just use a trough? It was due to wood fiber. There had been times it got into troughs, and when there was a fire, the fiber in the trough burned up the wiring. There's a time and place for EVERYTHING!

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Help me out folks, I thought I saw some kind of exception for more than 3 CCC when motor control wiring was in the same raceway as the motor leads. Can't find it now. :(

kwired

Electron manager
Help me out folks, I thought I saw some kind of exception for more than 3 CCC when motor control wiring was in the same raceway as the motor leads. Can't find it now. :(
Might not apply to raceways? I though it did myself or maybe it has changed over time. All I can find is in art 376 for wireways. 376.22(B) in 2017 NEC doesn't make you count control conductors in a wireway for ampacity adjustment purposes, they still count towards cross sectional fill though.

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Might not apply to raceways? I though it did myself or maybe it has changed over time. All I can find is in art 376 for wireways. 376.22(B) in 2017 NEC doesn't make you count control conductors in a wireway for ampacity adjustment purposes, they still count towards cross sectional fill though.
Thanks! That must be where I saw it.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
310.15(B)(3) ... Where conductors of different systems, as provided in 300.3, are installed in a common raceway or cable, the adjustment factors shown in Table 310.15(B)(3)(a) shall apply only to the number of power and lighting conductors (Articles 210, 215, 220, and 230). [310.15(C)(1) in the 2020]

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
310.15(B)(3) ... Where conductors of different systems, as provided in 300.3, are installed in a common raceway or cable, the adjustment factors shown in Table 310.15(B)(3)(a) shall apply only to the number of power and lighting conductors (Articles 210, 215, 220, and 230). [310.15(C)(1) in the 2020]
That will do it! You don't count control or indication.

kwired

Electron manager
Or even this, but I am sure there are ones that would work like a tee.:

View attachment 2564852
Never seen one with a "side entry". though for like mentioned in OP could have a "feed thru" run and one that immediately elbows down and sort of have same effectiveness.

Have seen round boxes that are explosion proof, and have four cross hubs and a center out the back hub though many those don't really have as much volume as the box pictured here has, because the small volume when I have used them usually limit splices to just EGC's as much as possible

Status
Not open for further replies.