Dear Lawd -- Did you see THIS? (2 Port 5-15P 120V 15 Amp 3 Prong Plug Male to 14-50R 120/240V 30Amp 4 Prong Female Receptacle Y Combiner)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
When all the electric vehicles get charged 100% from Solar or wind, then maybe they will take a step toward lowering the carbon footprint. Until then, it's absolutely nothing shy of total hypocrisy. $.02
I understand that you don't like wind turbines, and I probably wouldn't like one in my backyard either. But some of your facts are incorrect.

On the above, roughly speaking driving an EV charged in a US location that has the most carbon intensive grid electricity is comparable to driving an efficient hybrid, in terms of CO2 generation. And in US locations with less carbon intensive grid electricity, an EV beats any gas or diesel burning car.

Of course, that can only be a rough statement, since the efficiency of EVs (in miles per kWh, say) varies by at least a factor of 2 between different models. The EPA publishes mpge (miles per 33.7 kWh) for EVs, so what we really need is a way to look up, for a given location based on the local makeup of the grid's generating facilities, the conversion factor, in terms of CO2 generation, between mpge and mpg. Then you could say something like (made up numbers) "in OK, driving a 100 mpge EV charged from the grid is equivalent to driving an 80 mpg gasoline vehicle, in terms of CO2 generation."

It takes more energy to produce one of them than that turbine will ever produce.
This is also a myth. The lifetime energy generation of a wind turbine is going to depend on how windy a location you put it in. But for typical deployments currently, a better estimate is that the lifetime energy generation will be 20 times the energy inputs to make the wind turbine.

Cheers, Wayne

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I posted a question asking if it is UL listed and whether it can be used and still meet NEC requirements. I know the answer, I just want to see them respond to it...
Why does it need to meet NEC? I can't imagine this being used where it is subject to an AHJ/inspection.
As far as UL goes, they test for the items construction not its application.

I am often scared of touching metal surfaces in RV parks, because of the adapters I have seen being used.

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
I looked and don't see such a question. I think it either did not get posted yet or got deleted.

I posted a one star review. I wonder if it shows up or is deleted.
When I've posted reviews on Amazon, it has taken several weeks for them to be approved. Kinda worthless at that point.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
You want to really pi$$ me off? Bring up those big, hypocritic things that are eating up the landscape around here...leaking oil down the risers into the farm ground. Work 20 years buying 160 acres to build a home, live, work, and die on....then these big pieces of S(*$ show up and now everyone gets to look at them every day...and their damned blinking little red lights all in harmony every night. Screw them stupid white things. No wind, no power. Too much wind, no power. Half of them are turning most of the time. It takes more energy to produce one of them than that turbine will ever produce. Mark my words. In 20 years from now, they will all be ran down, out of commission, and left in the air to root in people's fields. People buying into this "free money" are going to get the biggest "I told you so" ever.

All the people in big cities are the ones using most of that power yet they are the ones who don't have to deal with them. Put these big wind farms in their yards and I bet they change their tunes.

I've got to stop. I'm getting mad. Later. ;)

Headline story on the front page of the local paper here today:

"Maybe we abandoned Indian Point too soon."

Ya think!

For those who don't know, Indian Point is a triple nuke facility located on the Hudson River in Westchester County, NY. Built in the '60s and '70s, it was shut down a couple of years ago for no reason other than politics. Now we are even more dependent on nat gas and hundreds of people in the town of Buchanan are out of work.

-Hal

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
This is nothing, really. You can find suicide cords on Amazon if you dig hard enough. And the ones I've see have factory molded ends so they are mass produced even.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
When I've posted reviews on Amazon, it has taken several weeks for them to be approved. Kinda worthless at that point.
Most of my reviews post in a few days, but they are generally positive. Negative reviews tend to take long IME, but I have posted only a few.

Questions seem to post immediately but unless there is an answer don't seem to show up. So I asked about the UL listing like J did.

1659125649818.png

Phil Timmons

Occupation
Depends on the pay and the day
Why does it need to meet NEC? I can't imagine this being used where it is subject to an AHJ/inspection.
As far as UL goes, they test for the items construction not its application.

I am often scared of touching metal surfaces in RV parks, because of the adapters I have seen being used.
Word from the Solar Roof crew today.

Project got shut down because they were putting Solar on a Metal Roof Barn.

One of the roof crew called out the the roof metal was "hot."

Electricians cleared everyone while they checked all the grounding.

Turned out the roof guy was talking about temperature. Yes. It is Texas. It is Summer. The roof is hot.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Word from the Solar Roof crew today.

Project got shut down because they were putting Solar on a Metal Roof Barn.

One of the roof crew called out the the roof metal was "hot."

Electricians cleared everyone while they checked all the grounding.

Turned out the roof guy was talking about temperature. Yes. It is Texas. It is Summer. The roof is hot.
When I made the transition from semiconductors to solar the first job I had was as an installer for rooftop PV systems in Texas in the summertime. It was the year I turned 60, and yeah, it was hot.

Phil Timmons

Occupation
When I made the transition from semiconductors to solar the first job I had was as an installer for rooftop PV systems in Texas in the summertime. It was the year I turned 60, and yeah, it was hot.
oh yeah. Did the Ikea roof a few years ago. July.

We would "start" the day about 2 or 3 am and be done by 10 am or Noon.

Planning a big theater roof like that, now.

BarryO

Occupation
Electrical engineer (retired)
Don't even get me started, Wayne. I'll get banned for derailment. When all the electric vehicles get charged 100% from Solar or wind, then maybe they will take a step toward lowering the carbon footprint. Until then, it's absolutely nothing shy of total hypocrisy. $.02

Moving along....
Maybe where you live. My next door neighbor charges his EV with 100% fossil-fuel-free electricity, because that's the only thing our POCO provides. BPA produces so much power off the Columbia River that what's not used locally is shipped down to L.A. on a 1 megavolt DC transmission line. Kinda weird to drive east of here and see transmission towers with only 2 wires strung from them.

Teslas are too rich for my blood but their performance is insane. Sub 2 second 0-60 in a 4 door sedan.

Phil Timmons

Occupation
Maybe where you live. My next door neighbor charges his EV with 100% fossil-fuel-free electricity, because that's the only thing our POCO provides. BPA produces so much power off the Columbia River that what's not used locally is shipped down to L.A. on a 1 megavolt DC transmission line. Kinda weird to drive east of here and see transmission towers with only 2 wires strung from them.

Teslas are too rich for my blood but their performance is insane. Sub 2 second 0-60 in a 4 door sedan.
Where you live . . . . that is the funny part about Okaydokeyland.

So much fracking and injection wells that they have Earthquakes -- but omigod -- thems newfangling EV and Renumberals bes from Satan. ;P

Interesting on Columbia River and your electricity source(s). Did some re-work on Grand Coulee a few years ago. Quite the operation.

BarryO

Occupation
Problem is, the product shown actually has a 50A plug. A Tesla or other plug-in EV charger will think that it can draw at least 32 if not 40A on that. The latter should trip in a matter of seconds.
The Telsa wall unit can be configured to draw anywhere from 12 to 48 amps.

BarryO

Occupation
Interesting on Columbia River and your electricity source(s). Did some re-work on Grand Coulee a few years ago. Quite the operation.
I've been to Bonneville but never Grand Coulee. Pretty neat getting up close to those massive ~20 ft. diameter generator rotors. I believe Grand Coulee is the highest-power generation facility in the U.S., almost 7 gigawatts

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I suspect it's a lot easier to believe in the green energy thing if you're making a living off of it. Money tends to change one's perception of such things.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I suspect it's a lot easier to believe in the green energy thing if you're making a living off of it. Money tends to change one's perception of such things.
That certainly goes both ways: people have been making money off oil and gas for a lot longer than they have been making money off "green" energy. So there's a large installed base of preconceptions.

Cheers, Wayne

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I've been to Bonneville but never Grand Coulee. Pretty neat getting up close to those massive ~20 ft. diameter generator rotors. I believe Grand Coulee is the highest-power generation facility in the U.S., almost 7 gigawatts
"See the Flying Fortress as it wings across the land,
Spawned upon the King Columbia by the big Grand Coulee Dam."

Woody Guthrie, under contract to write songs about dams for WPA. Grand Coulee provided the power for our aluminum refineries in the Pacific NW.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
You are to some degree correct, but it's also because we understand how it all works more than most people who are not involved it it.

Status
Not open for further replies.